Anyone come from Grimesthorpe? (Part 2)

Hi Peter.

Were you Peter Suter, 'cos if you are, my grandma helped deliver you. She used to help the local midwife. Yes we lived in the yard opposite the shop. Jennifer Suter lived in the yard opposite ours and my grandparents lived on Clevedon Street, which was still in our yard but on the other side. One wall of my grandmothers house was attached to the steelworks and my uncle Clifford used to make sure that the outline of a British soldier was always kept on the steelworks wall. Irene Carless was a friend of mine, but the pictures I have uploaded are on the Owler Lane Intermediate site as they were my senior school pictures. I do not think Irene Carless went to my school. I remember her parents had a front room which was empty except for dressing up boxes, and she once lent me a gypsy outfit for something or other, I went to Owler Lane infant school and to Grimesthorpe Junior school but then we moved to The MAnor Estate and I passed the eleven plus and went to Owler Lane Intermediate. I have no knowledge of when Adsetts Street was built but it belonged to the Steelworks(English Steel) and you may find out something from them. Good to here from you anyway, June

Hi Peter.

Were you Peter Suter, 'cos if you are, my grandma helped deliver you. She used to help the local midwife. Yes we lived in the yard opposite the shop. Jennifer Suter lived in the yard opposite ours and my grandparents lived on Clevedon Street, which was still in our yard but on the other side. One wall of my grandmothers house was attached to the steelworks and my uncle Clifford used to make sure that the outline of a British soldier was always kept on the steelworks wall. Irene Carless was a friend of mine, but the pictures I have uploaded are on the Owler Lane Intermediate site as they were my senior school pictures. I do not think Irene Carless went to my school. I remember her parents had a front room which was empty except for dressing up boxes, and she once lent me a gypsy outfit for something or other, I went to Owler Lane infant school and to Grimesthorpe Junior school but then we moved to The MAnor Estate and I passed the eleven plus and went to Owler Lane Intermediate. I have no knowledge of when Adsetts Street was built but it belonged to the Steelworks(English Steel) and you may find out something from them. Good to here from you anyway, June

Hi June, 'fraid I'm not Peter Suter, I'm Peter Rowley. I lived at no.5 Adsetts Street from my birth in 1943 and left for a bigger house at Shiregreen in 1957. I remember Jimmy Wilson from your yard. He went to live on Jaunty Way at Base Green. Was also friends with the lad who moved in afterwards. I remember a young girl of about 18 riding her boyfriends motor bike around your yard once. She hit a dust bin which knocked me out. I was about 7 and she must be going on for 80 now! My mother took me round the next day to show them my bruises. They were very appologetic:)

Regards, Peter.

Hi again. I was just about to put another message on here, to correct myself.

I remembered that you were Peter Rowley and I used to play with you, I am 68 now and was born in 1944 and my gran did deliver you. Jimmy Wilson had a sister Barbara. They moved to Base Green about the same time that we moved on to the Manor. His mum was a friend of my mum and we visited a few times. Unfortunately, his mum did not live very long. Do you remember the Hales. Melvyn Hale in particular. Also Duggie Bird. My brother Brian was older than me and was friends with Tommy Clarke, Keith Broughton, Frankie Brown and the Suter boys.What happy days. June

I remembered that you were Peter Rowley and I used to play with you, I am 68 now and was born in 1944 and my gran did deliver you. Jimmy Wilson had a sister Barbara. They moved to Base Green about the same time that we moved on to the Manor. His mum was a friend of my mum and we visited a few times. Unfortunately, his mum did not live very long. Do you remember the Hales. Melvyn Hale in particular. Also Duggie Bird. My brother Brian was older than me and was friends with Tommy Clarke, Keith Broughton, Frankie Brown and the Suter boys.What happy days. June

Hi June, I was born in Nov. '43.You have a very good memory! I do however remember Duggie Bird for a particular reason. He used to give me a thump whenever we met. There was nothing malicious there, but I got fed up with this and finally punched him on the nose one day. Don't know who was more surprised, him or me. He never did it again.:hihi:

The name Hales seems familiar. Did they live in the house on Adsetts street adjacent to the steelworks wall across the yard from your gran?

I've been pondering the outline of a soldier and last night it suddenly popped in my mind. I seem to recall a large outline covering most of the wall. Am I right?

Regards, Peter.

How do i change my user name thanks

Hi everyone

i lived on carlile rd was born there in 1943 my name back then was pat dudley anyone remember me

Hi Pat,

I remember that the house on the corner of Botham St. and Carlisle Rd. used to be a shop at one time. The back door would have been in your yard. I remember going there when I was little. Can you remember the name of the people that owned it? Was it Drabble?

Hi Dors and Peter.

Peter the Mrs Rick (not Rix) you refer to was 3 doors past the Crown Inn which would be three quarters down on the right hand side. Dors can you confirm this is the same one.

Regards Alan

That sounds like the right one to me. She taught in her front room.

Hi Peter.

Yes the Hales lived adjoining the Steelworks on one side of the yard, and my Grandparents lived on the opposite steelworks wall where the outline of a soldier was. At one time my aunt and uncle lived next to Birds, and they had a motor bike and sidecar. It may have been their daughter who knocked you down. Can you remember Harrisons shop where my mum used to send us for pints of vinegar in a jug, and we used to drink it on the way back. I still like lots of vinegar. Cheers June

That sounds like the right one to me. She taught in her front room.

thats right doreen,but still say its mrs rix not rick.dont know if you will recall the pattison's but think she lived next door.hope your both well.xx

Hi tara, Tommy Clarke, was my cousin. His son is on here as Pigeon. Unfortunately Tommy passed away a while ago, and his sister Gladys has just passed away. Pigeon posted it a few days ago. Gemini

Anyone interested in protecting Wincobank Hill from being built upon? 2,000 signatures needed before Monday, please help...

http://www.change.org/petitions/sheffield-city-council-refuse-planning-permission-for-houses-on-wincobank-hill

I signed the petition

and I am very pleased to say

that I received this email today

Hey Jeanette,

We are delighted to tell you that the application to build 24 houses on the Roman Ridge near Wincobank Hill Fort was refused this afternoon. We collected over 1000 signatures on the paper and electronic petitions in just three days. These were handed over at the planning meeting today and clearly demonstrated the strength of feeling against this development . Many thanks to you all – your help and support has been greatly appreciated. The applicants have the right to appeal the decision. We will keep you informed of any developments and will most likely be calling on your help again!

Hi Peter.

Yes the Hales lived adjoining the Steelworks on one side of the yard, and my Grandparents lived on the opposite steelworks wall where the outline of a soldier was. At one time my aunt and uncle lived next to Birds, and they had a motor bike and sidecar. It may have been their daughter who knocked you down. Can you remember Harrisons shop where my mum used to send us for pints of vinegar in a jug, and we used to drink it on the way back. I still like lots of vinegar. Cheers June

Hi June, do you mean Harrisons the fruit and veg shop at the corner of Adsetts Street and Grimesthorpe Road, opposite the Victoria Hotel? can't recall any other Harrisons. Mr. H. wore a brown smock and a big trilby. He would send me on an errand to the shops and reward me with fruit with the over ripe bits cut off! Kept his horse and cart in stables at the 'Old Bowling Green'. A pic of his son Walter taken in the 1920's was on Picture Sheffield.

Regards, Peter.