2007-10-1914-57-00_0010.jpg

img013.jpg

not sure about second picture???? is it some of our lot <clarkes>

the small one in the middle is micheal bunn your cuz

is this the one

2007-10-2014-50-21_0018-1.jpg

or this2007-10-1914-50-55_0006.jpg

The first one, I'm the little bridesmaid.

:huh:

the small one in the middle is micheal bunn your cuz

hi arthur, have asked and it would appear Val coulson is not a relative of the suters. Is one of the lads with little Mike Bunn Kieth hollings or Frankie Brown.

:huh:

hi arthur, have asked and it would appear Val coulson is not a relative of the suters. Is one of the lads with little Mike Bunn Kieth hollings or Frankie Brown.

frankie brown is the light hair one

Re Cat631 last posting I have had a message from Alan Billam via my uncle. To all old grimesthorpians who are interested in obtaining a copy of his book . After the preview copies - the book is now at the publishers and more copies will be available shortly. As Cat said it is well worth a look as it brings back loads of memories -some long forgotten and others a clear as yesterday -Good wishes to all.

The book is now available at the Star shop on York st with a Star readers membership card which gets you 10% off £11.79 normal price £12.99.

Edited by woodturner
Price information

img001-1.jpg

A Mystery: Almost as old as Grimesthorpe itself.

When a pub was opened on the corner of Botham Street and Ruthin Street, it acquired an unusual name: 'Who Can Tell'. I've often wished 'Someone Could Tell'

how it came to have the name but anyone who knew will have been supping pints in that great Tap Room in the sky for many years past.

http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w17/rh200/s217721.jpg

Could there be a clue with the absence of a question mark?

Are the words 'Who Can Tell' part of a longer sentence?

Was the landlord or lady hoping to moderate their customers drinking habits by way of a warning?

Or was it the result of someone's sense of humour?

Whatever the answer, it has been lost in the mist of time, a time of long ago. Or to be more precise, about 2,700 years ago in Nineveh. Nineveh is thought to have been in the modern day country of Iraq but like many civilizations throughout the ages, was mired in its own success.

Drunkenness, fornication, gluttony and greed were rife and the Great Almighty was not pleased.

God, who looked upon Yorkshire as the Heavenly county and spoke with a Yorkshire accent, sent for his old pal and trouble shooter, Jonah. "Jonah, get thi sen off t' Nineveh and sort the lazy sods art. Tell 'em, if they don't stop buggerin' abart an' mend their ways, I'll send a few plagues an' famines an' bolts o' lightenin', that should square 'em up".

Jonah jumped on a passing ship and set sail for Nineveh but he hadn't gone very far when the crew took a dislike to him and chucked him over the side. His problems got worse when a passing whale swallowed him whole. Then, Jonah's luck changed when the whale puked him up along with a couple of tons of smelly sardines on a sandy beach not too far from Baghdad.

He rented a camel for a couple of days and made his way to Nineveh where he sought an audience with the King who was also the chairman and concert secretary of the newly affiliated Nineveh Working Mens' Club." Th'art lucky t' catch me". said King Nineveh to Jonah. "Me an' t' committee 'ave just got back from a talent spottin' trip t' Sheffield", where among other things, they too learned to speak God's tongue.

Jonah said. "Shurrup an' listen". The King and the rest of the committee listened, while Jonah, as the saying goes, put the fear of God up 'em. Telling them straight about God's anger and threats to wipe the entire population of Nineveh off the face of the Earth.

Realising the error of their ways, the people of Nineveh asked for forgiveness and promised to spend the next six months wearing sack cloth and ashes.

When Jonah left, the King turned to the assembled people of Nineveh and said something like this:

"Who knows, God may relent and not destroy us if we repent and mend our ways?"

.........................................................................................................................

Jonah. Chapter 3: Verse 9.

WHO CAN TELL if God will turn and repent, and turn away from his fierce anger, that we perish not?

...........................................................................................................................

Nah den' Ralph, weer dus tha get these pearls o wisdom frum.

Tha shud be rightin a book anorl.

I'm sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but just to let you all know that Emily Broadhead died yesterday evening, I know a lot of people on here will have memories of her.

I'll let you all know when the funeral will be as soon as it is confirmed.

RIP Grandma xx

any chance of seeing the photo what does it come under in the retro does not show on the internet

Arthur ive cut the pictures out of the star

after our steves seen them sunday i will take them to our Helen.:hihi::hihi: