Anyone come from Grimesthorpe? (Part 2)

Re, photo of Mrs Thane, I was talking to my grandchildren about money over Christmas, about pre- decimal coins, and I was telling them how I used to go to the corner shop and buy 4 Fruit Salad sweets or 4 Black Jacks for a halfpenny or two for a farthing. God I am old.

I know Mrs Prosser worked there for a while and my Mother used to clean there.

------

Hi dido, I dont remember your mum cleaning for mrs thane, another thought-

do you recall mrs thane having a lodger living at the shop, he was a window

cleaner.

That is sad news Mick. We were only talking about him last week weren't we. I used to enjoy our banter on the forum bless him. My thoughts go out to his family. RIP Steve x

Hi this is John, Stephens brother-in-law. Thanks for the messages posted expressing your sympathy about his death. It is a sad time, but those who were with him at the end, can now take comfort in knowing that he is free from the pain and suffering he bravely endured. He maintained his humour, regularly joking with the medical staff and us up to only a few days before his death which thankfully was quick and very peaceful. The funeral is on Friday 3rd Feb at City Road 12 noon. I am sure that Janet and the family would appreciate anyone from the old days attending. A bit about myself while I'm on. I have only joined today after speaking to Mick. I lived until I was 11 on Birdwell road, all who know Janet, my sister, Stephens wife, will probably remember me. Dad used to be BB captain at Wesley Hall, Mum the GLB captain and youth club leader, (she is still with us, Dad passed away in 2001).

Don't know if anyone has mentioned it on here, but Les Cusworth (Ex Reform Chapel BB man) passed away just recently. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

Hi this is John, Stephens brother-in-law. Thanks for the messages posted expressing your sympathy about his death. It is a sad time, but those who were with him at the end, can now take comfort in knowing that he is free from the pain and suffering he bravely endured. He maintained his humour, regularly joking with the medical staff and us up to only a few days before his death which thankfully was quick and very peaceful. The funeral is on Friday 3rd Feb at City Road 12 noon. I am sure that Janet and the family would appreciate anyone from the old days attending. A bit about myself while I'm on. I have only joined today after speaking to Mick. I lived until I was 11 on Birdwell road, all who know Janet, my sister, Stephens wife, will probably remember me. Dad used to be BB captain at Wesley Hall, Mum the GLB captain and youth club leader, (she is still with us, Dad passed away in 2001).

Hi John. Welcome to the threads. It,s good to keep in touch with people from Grimesthorpe. Some people I know, Some I don,t Know. But we laugh in the good times and we share the sad times. Im sure there will be plenty of people at Steve's funeral next Friday. On a happier note there are usually 2 Grimesthorpe reunions at the Ball Inn allegedly the last Friday in March and the last Friday in October.I'll be in touch, keep checking the threads. Once again welcome to the threads, I know Steve got a lot of enjoyment from it.

Hello John, so sad to hear of Stephen's death. I had not met him for over 40 years, but as one or two others have mentioned we had some good banter on the Grimesthorpe thread. I remember him in those days as a good bloke, who you could have a laugh with. My condolences to Janet and his family.

You may rememember me (Mick Rawson) and my brothers Ken and Dave, we lived further up Birdwell Road on the left hand side until 1971.

Further to the photo of the Reform Chapel Lifeboys circa 1954 I can identify the lad standing next to Len Foster is Kenneth Bramall (me). Another positive ID is top row left is a lad called (Micheal?) Rhodes. What a thrill to see such a personal blast from the past.

Hi

I can identify 2 more at Staithes, myself Alan Howsam between Pete Webster and Barrie also at the end on the right Teddy Orme.

Barrie Reynolds has given me permission to post some of his dads photos taken in 1950's :

Whit Monday probably between 1954 & 1956

BB_parade.jpg

Same photo blown up

BBdetail.jpg

Life Boys at Staithes camp about 1954 - some names are marked on.

LB_Staithes_markup.jpg

2 photos of Whit Monday at Firth Park showing Reform Chapel area

park2.jpg

park.jpg

May Day 1950

may_queen_1950.jpg

Any ideas on dates, names etc would be appreciated.

Hi johnpm I know one or two faces on the Staithesphoto that have already been named,the boy next to Teddy Orme I think it is Kenny Williams,he and Teddy were in the same class as me at Owler Lane school.

Hi johnpm I know one or two faces on the Staithesphoto that have already been named,the boy next to Teddy Orme I think it is Kenny Williams,he and Teddy were in the same class as me at Owler Lane school.

Hi I have a feeling that in between Roy and Francis Butler it could be Michael Rhodes. Someone else may confirm ? or differ

Hi I have a feeling that in between Roy and Francis Butler it could be Michael Rhodes. Someone else may confirm ? or differ

yes it looks like my nephew mick

Did Mick Rhodes live on Grimesthorpe Road, just below the shop on the corner of Adsetts Street?

Did Mick Rhodes live on Grimesthorpe Road, just below the shop on the corner of Adsetts Street?

yes bottom house int yard

Hi NettieJ, Yes they were George Hewitt & Cyril Cotterill. George was always behind the scenes but did quite a lot; Cyril was in the choir I think.

In the park photos there is also Charlie & Amy Wise, my uncle Ken Morris, Dora Reynolds, Mrs Yates & Kath Lynch in GB uniform (Les Cusworth behind Kath) & Bessie Cusworth .

On the May Queen photo Barrie Reynolds in on front third from left.

Quite a lot we know on the Whit parade photo; will give names when you have all had chance to have a go.

John

Thanks for that John.

I've found Charlie and Amy Wise, Ken Morris and Dora Reynolds.

I've found Kath Lynch and I think Bessie Cusworth,

but I can't see Les Cusworth and which one is Mrs Yates.

bless her. I remember visiting her with Christine Webb.

What a lovely little old lady she was