Anyone come from Grimesthorpe? (Part 2)

Barrie Reynolds has given me permission to post some of his dads photos taken in 1950's :

Whit Monday probably between 1954 & 1956

BB_parade.jpg

Same photo blown up

BBdetail.jpg

Life Boys at Staithes camp about 1964 - some names are marked on.

LB_Staithes_markup.jpg

2 photos of Whit Monday at Firth Park showing Reform Chapel area

park2.jpg

park.jpg

May Day 1950

may_queen_1950.jpg

Any ideas on dates, names etc would be appreciated.

Hi johnpm, I am not a grimesthorpian but I do read this thread all the time. I have posted a couple of things on it in the past. I'm a Page Hall/Firth Park lad and I know a few regulars on here. The point of this reply concerns the photo "Life boys at Staithes about 1964." On the photo there is a couple of people I knew. Roy and Francis Butler and Ken Towell. I worked with Roy for a few years and we were mates. The point is that in 1964 I was 17yrs old and knowing that Roy is a couple of years older than me that would have made him 19 or maybe 20 in 1964. Also Ken would be about the same age as me ( or older) so I think you may be a little bit out with 1964. I would put it a good few years earlier. I hope you don't mind me commenting on it.

Hi johnpm, I am not a grimesthorpian but I do read this thread all the time. I have posted a couple of things on it in the past. I'm a Page Hall/Firth Park lad and I know a few regulars on here. The point of this reply concerns the photo "Life boys at Staithes about 1964." On the photo there is a couple of people I knew. Roy and Francis Butler and Ken Towell. I worked with Roy for a few years and we were mates. The point is that in 1964 I was 17yrs old and knowing that Roy is a couple of years older than me that would have made him 19 or maybe 20 in 1964. Also Ken would be about the same age as me ( or older) so I think you may be a little bit out with 1964. I would put it a good few years earlier. I hope you don't mind me commenting on it.

I thought the 50s as well? going to try and get them in retro one weekend.

Some very sad news in the Sheffield Star tonight.The announcement that Stephen Highfield has passed away. Ex Grimesthorpe lad and contributor to the threads. I grew up with Steve through Owler Lane Infants School, Grimesthorpe Junior School and Owler Lane Secondary School, being in the same class for many years. He is on the school photos on pages 204/205. Any one who knows him will recognise him

We both went to Wesley Hall Methodist Church and the youth club and concert party. Steve was always full of fun and clowning about. The concert party rehersals were an entertainment in themselves with him around. After church services on Sunday nights, like all good Methodists we all went down to the Ball Inn for "supper" I havn't see Steve for many years but I spoke to John Dale, his brother-in-law on many occasions

Our thoughts and sympathies go out to Janet, his wife, and all his Family and friends

Apologies, typing error - meant to put 1954 so corrected it now!

Im sorry about the news of Stephen Highfield. He was a good friend of mine at school and the Boys Club.He was very good at swimming,playing Cricket and enjoyed fishing, and was goog fun to be with.

miss you SAM.

Southweller.

Some very sad news in the Sheffield Star tonight.The announcement that Stephen Highfield has passed away. Ex Grimesthorpe lad and contributor to the threads. I grew up with Steve through Owler Lane Infants School, Grimesthorpe Junior School and Owler Lane Secondary School, being in the same class for many years. He is on the school photos on pages 204/205. Any one who knows him will recognise him

We both went to Wesley Hall Methodist Church and the youth club and concert party. Steve was always full of fun and clowning about. The concert party rehersals were an entertainment in themselves with him around. After church services on Sunday nights, like all good Methodists we all went down to the Ball Inn for "supper" I havn't see Steve for many years but I spoke to John Dale, his brother-in-law on many occasions

Our thoughts and sympathies go out to Janet, his wife, and all his Family and friends

That is sad news Mick. We were only talking about him last week weren't we. I used to enjoy our banter on the forum bless him. My thoughts go out to his family. RIP Steve x

Apologies, typing error - meant to put 1954 so corrected it now!

hahaha! I know John, you were trying to knock 10yrs off your age :hihi:

Nice try :hihi:

Great photos though.

After a quick glance, I saw Mr Cotterill and

That old gentleman George that I once mentioned

who used to just sit quietly in the church hall whilst

the kids were at Sunday School. I don't think I will

ever forget him.

Must go back and have a good look at them

hahaha! I know John, you were trying to knock 10yrs off your age :hihi:

Nice try :hihi:

Great photos though.

After a quick glance, I saw Mr Cotterill and

That old gentleman George that I once mentioned

who used to just sit quietly in the church hall whilst

the kids were at Sunday School. I don't think I will

ever forget him.

Must go back and have a good look at them

Hi NettieJ, Yes they were George Hewitt & Cyril Cotterill. George was always behind the scenes but did quite a lot; Cyril was in the choir I think.

In the park photos there is also Charlie & Amy Wise, my uncle Ken Morris, Dora Reynolds, Mrs Yates & Kath Lynch in GB uniform (Les Cusworth behind Kath) & Bessie Cusworth .

On the May Queen photo Barrie Reynolds in on front third from left.

Quite a lot we know on the Whit parade photo; will give names when you have all had chance to have a go.

John

Hi everyone. As many of you would have attended the Owler Lane Schools, I thought you may be interested in the 'photos below, which I took in 1999 from the Earl Marshall Road side (they are also on Earl Marshall Secondary forum).

There are two of the Infants school and also two of the Secondary, with the Intermediate just visible to the left on one of these.

I felt the need to capture these images just in case I turned up there one day to find the schools demolished.

Anyone know the date they came down?

http://i1255.photobucket.com/albums/hh629/peterlaurence/Owler%20Lane%20Schools/OwlerLaneSecModandIntermediateschoolsin1990s.jpg

http://i1255.photobucket.com/albums/hh629/peterlaurence/Owler%20Lane%20Schools/OwlerLaneSecondaryModernin1990s.jpg

http://i1255.photobucket.com/albums/hh629/peterlaurence/Owler%20Lane%20Schools/OwlerLaneInfantschoolin1990s2.jpg

http://i1255.photobucket.com/albums/hh629/peterlaurence/Owler%20Lane%20Schools/OwlerLaneInfantschoolin1990s.jpg

regards, Peter

Edited by PeterR
replace links to photobucket pics

So sorry to hear that sad news. I too remember Stephen well, we grew up together and our families went on holiday together. His dad Rog and my dad George used to go fishing. My dad passed away just before christmas. Sympathies to his wife and family and also to Mary his mom.

Barrie Reynolds has given me permission to post some of his dads photos taken in 1950's :

Whit Monday probably between 1954 & 1956

BB_parade.jpg

Same photo blown up

BBdetail.jpg

Life Boys at Staithes camp about 1954 - some names are marked on.

LB_Staithes_markup.jpg

2 photos of Whit Monday at Firth Park showing Reform Chapel area

park2.jpg

park.jpg

May Day 1950

may_queen_1950.jpg

Any ideas on dates, names etc would be appreciated.

Further to the photo of the Reform Chapel Lifeboys circa 1954 I can identify the lad standing next to Len Foster is Kenneth Bramall (me). Another positive ID is top row left is a lad called (Micheal?) Rhodes. What a thrill to see such a personal blast from the past.

HAPPY 60TH BIRTHDAY TO JOHN HINDMARCH

I hope you had a great night and that you are

not suffering too much today xx