Anyone come from Grimesthorpe? (Part 2)

We`re coming down your way again Skippy in January, just one week in Engedine and then three weeks in Perth, nice bit of sunshine and warm weather lovely:)

enjoy it :thumbsup:

Thanks a lot pigeon.

Well ours starts tonight when the lasses go for our

Christmas Meal

I am so looking forward to it, Im sure

a good night is on the cards :headbang::partyhat:

Had another good night didnt we? Loved it. The meal was lovely. Great company and bingo.

Had another good night didnt we? Loved it. The meal was lovely. Great company and bingo.

Ah glad you enjoyed it! most of you look like good eaters :hihi: happy xmas x

I visited my Aunt and Uncle yesterday. She lived on Petre st, until her parents, my grandparents took over the East House on Spital Hill. She is 90,yrs old but she has a fantastic memory. She kept us entertained for over three hours with stories of Grimesthorpe.

Did you know that when they built the huts on Petre st they built a dance hall ?.

---------

Hi david, did they have east house befor or after that shooting,

i think it was a christmas time not sure now what year it happened.

---------

Hi david, did they have east house befor or after that shooting,

i think it was a christmas time not sure now what year it happened.

I think the landlord at that time was the father my school friend Roger Sullivan

We`re coming down your way again Skippy in January, just one week in Engedine and then three weeks in Perth, nice bit of sunshine and warm weather lovely:)

Bring the weather with you, as Summer is a bit late arriving this year, if you've got a day spare, I'll show you what the Illawarra looks like.

As a tribute to Les Cusworth who died this week I show below the 5 pages of the history of the 53rd BB Company which he produced for the recent 75th Anniversary celebrations . RIP Les.

53rdhistory_0001.jpg

53rdhistory_0002.jpg

53rdhistory_0003.jpg

53rdhistory_0004.jpg

53rdhistory_0005.jpg

Sorry its 5 separate pages - don't really know how to put them into one file !

That is great John, thanks for posting it.

Irene Reynolds posted this on Facebook today

The funeral for Les Cusworth is on Thursday 29th December at

Grenoside Crematorium,

South Chapel at 12.15pm. RIP Les.

Hello John. I'm sorry to hear Les Cusworth has passed away.

Your 53rd. history pages brought back a few memories. I well remember the Sheffield Battalion camp at Skegness or just outside at Winthorpe I believe. We, the 21st. shared the camp with a company from West Melton and the first time I was away from home. Introduced to the joys of peeling potatos and onions then sleeping under canvas in a couple of blankets on a palliasse, (sack of straw). After a greasy, bacon and eggs breakfast with door step slices of bread, we went swimming in the North Sea and called it bathing parade. Happy memories.

Hello John. I'm sorry to hear Les Cusworth has passed away.

Your 53rd. history pages brought back a few memories. I well remember the Sheffield Battalion camp at Skegness or just outside at Winthorpe I believe. We, the 21st. shared the camp with a company from West Melton and the first time I was away from home. Introduced to the joys of peeling potatos and onions then sleeping under canvas in a couple of blankets on a palliasse, (sack of straw). After a greasy, bacon and eggs breakfast with door step slices of bread, we went swimming in the North Sea and called it bathing parade. Happy memories.

Hi Ralph, Its good to hear your memories of camp. Do you have any photos of camps? It would be lovely to see them. I know Eric Foster from our company has loads of camp photos of Bridlington & Skegness camps & I am on one blowing a bugle about the age of 4. I haven't been able to get hold of them to scan though.

Best wishes for a happy Christmas & a prosperous 2012.

I would like to wish all grimethorpians near and far a merry christmas and a prosperous New Year (2012).

When I was a kid on New Year's Eve we would go round the neighbour's singing this little ditty ,

Happy new year, Happy new year,plenty of money and a cellar full of beer a horse and a gig and a good fat pig to serve you all next year. Followed by :

Hole in my pocket Hole in my shoe can you spare a copper or two,if you haven't got a penny a hapenny will do.

Then knock on the door.

Did anyone else do this?

Jean J

I would like to wish all grimethorpians near and far a merry christmas and a prosperous New Year (2012).

When I was a kid on New Year's Eve we would go round the neighbour's singing this little ditty ,

Happy new year, Happy new year,plenty of money and a cellar full of beer a horse and a gig and a good fat pig to serve you all next year. Followed by :

Hole in my pocket Hole in my shoe can you spare a copper or two,if you haven't got a penny a hapenny will do.

Then knock on the door.

Did anyone else do this?

Jean J

i did jean,and i had to let new year in at our house only one with dark hair.:hihi:

merry xmas and happy new year.xx

Then knock on the door.

Did anyone else do this?

Jean J

Now we knew a different version to this

Hole in my shoe can you spare a copper or two,if you haven't got a penny a halfpenny will do.

If you haven`t got halfpenny your a skinny old jew then we run like the wind laughing all the way to the next yard ..........x