Anyone come from Grimesthorpe? (Part 2)

Many of you will remember an old Grimesthorpe and Botham Street lad, the late George Gill. A talented musician and singer, he is to feature in a tribute by Paul Tansley on Radio Sheffield at about 4 00pm today. Friday 20th. May

Forget that one, I was given the wrong information. I think it's to be in July and on something called Sheffield Live. My knowledge of radio stations runs to the Light Programme and Radio Luxemburg.

This is a pic of "The Prefects" of Owler Lane school around 1957/8

img004.jpg

Is this a bit early for the regulars to recognise anyone? My wife, Janet Brewin, is 3rd from the right on the back row. Mrs JDS will recognise her.

mrsJDS. Might be having problems replying to you. Hope to chat to you soon 'cos your contact is appreciated. Ta!

Tonio, has Janet got any names of the people on the photo,I can name a few,

not in any particular order: B/row Janet Brewin, Malcolm ? Christine Vaughn,

M/row Janice Hoole, Freddie Tanzer, Sylvia Whitehead,

F/row Doreen Rhodes,Monica Tomlin.I know some of the other faces but I can't put names to them.They were in the same year but the class above me.Jean J

F/row Doreen Rhodes,Monica Tomlin.I know some of the other faces but I can't put names to them.They were in the same year but the class above me.Jean J

Hi. The photo brought back memories for me, as I was very friendly with Sylvia Whitehead in our teenage years, she lived on Margate Drive prefabs, quite near me. CR

Hi again. And is that Pam Highfield (RIP) on the front row, fourth from end on right? C Rose.

This is a pic of "The Prefects" of Owler Lane school around 1957/8

img004.jpg

Is this a bit early for the regulars to recognise anyone? My wife, Janet Brewin, is 3rd from the right on the back row. Mrs JDS will recognise her.

Oh I do Tony, I think we come from the same stable. :)

Best we can do is

Back L to R

? , ? ,Dianne ?, Keith Fielding, Janet Brewin, ? ,Christine Vaughn

Midd Row

Ian Webb,Barbara Crookes, ? ,Janice Hoole, Fred Tanzer, Val ? ,Sylvia Whitehead.

Front

Mike Liney, Doreen Rhodes, ? , ? ,Roger North, Pam Highfield, Ian King, Monica Tomlin, ? .

Hope that some of the missing names are known.

img002.jpg

Here's another one. They look about 13ish so year is probably 1956. Class is F2

Hi Tonio,

Regarding School Prefects 'photo 1957/8.

Back row 1st on left is Sandra Coddington who was in my class. I believe she is registered on Sheffield History and Ex Pats. Went on to be a Driving Examiner I recall.

Middle Row 3rd from left I believe to be Paul Naylor who was also in my class. He lived on Carlisle Road, or as my mother used to call it "top street" , near the top of Crown Hill not far from E. Sockett's electrical shop. I sincerely hope I'm correct about this one,as I recall Paul was working as a trainee electrician when he was killed at work aged about 17years. What a tragedy.

Front row 2nd from left is Doreen Rhodes. She lived at the bottom of Grimesthorpe road in the yard next to me on Adsetts Street, near the steelworks.I moved away from Grimesthorpe in 1957 and last saw her at Firth Browns in about 1960.

Regards, Peter.

Edited by PeterR
missed out description

img002.jpg

Here's another one. They look about 13ish so year is probably 1956. Class is F2

tonio, a few more namesthat cross my mind F/row: (Thelma Curtis, & Wendy Axelby,I think) Valerie Coulson (her dad was a great snooker player he played for Grimesthorpe club) Irene Clarke, Pat Dudley.

Sec/row,Kenny Williams,Melvin Hayes,Monica Tomlin,John Lambert,Graeme Singleton,

Third row,Fred Tanzer,Janice Hoole (her gran lived near my aunt at Woodhouse Mill)

B/row Janet Brewin,(next I think Wendy Mcnamara) Gloria Rhodes or Rose,Pat Byne (I think David Lewis) he was the car driver for the Four Mimes when they first started. Jean J