Anyone come from Grimesthorpe? (Part 2)

Wajs was the spelling I seem to remember. (Carl was in my class at Grimesthorpe)

Walt

I am sure there is a J in it we now no two letters W & J but thats not the spelling I remember.

Maybe not a J am thinking either Weisz Wiejz Waije.I give up

Edited by DavidRa

Would that be where Carl Vice & I think he had a sister Marilyn lived??

If it is them I have a trivia question. I believe the vice family was of Polish origin so NettieJ will buy a drink for anyone that can give me the true spelling of Carl's surname.:hihi::hihi:

NettieJ will not. sort yourself out splitlip :o

I think it was Wajs, I know I was never sure how to spell it

when we were at school but to try to remind me I always said

WAJS . Marilyn was in my year at school

Im gonna have to check this out. :huh:

Hi Dave

A little clue it begins with W, a "Jessop" buying a drink? they drink plenty never seen them buy many.

Now then Mr Rawson behave yourself

Our Terry's always stood at the bar :hihi:

Wajs was the spelling I seem to remember. (Carl was in my class at Grimesthorpe)

It reminds me of the one about the polish lad who went to the Opticians for an eye test. The Optician sat him in front of a chart and said " Can you read the bottom line Sir ?"

The Polish lad said " Read it ................ I know him! "

hahaha!

Only just seen your post Walt

Looks like great minds think alike.

So we are bound to be right :hihi:

I think you were supposed to pronounce it

Wise, but the spelling was Wajs as you say :)

Moved all the way to North Grimesthorpe then, to the posh side of Upwell Street.

nice one Walt.......

Waaaaaahhaaaaaaaaahaawwaaa....;)

Sheila,starting at Grimesthorpe rd there was co-op chemist,bread shop which was called Pixleys before it became Buttons,the hairdressers Dorothy Fletchers (Emmie Greenwho lived in them houses opposite you on Hunsley st worked for her),Jack Asher was next,then Mortemers,then came a G/grocers,Williamsons barbers,then came another butchers Ithink called Harrisons (corner of Moss st) opposite corner was the co-op butchers,grocery & drapery,Sockets who had a double fronted windows,with a big archway where their work shop was,after that came the shops that stood back 1st one was Maes hairdressers followed by 2 more shops in the far corner was the chippy ,then Noahs & the last shop corner of Hunsley & Carlisle st was a G/grocer & flower shop,can you remember the pet shop at the bottom of Hunsley st & crown hill. After all that I am nearly 6yrs older than you.Shooter the field you refer to I think it was called Cookies field.

the other butchers was called Allisons Jean,hope you're well.xx

hi sheila we,v met and you do know me ?

Thats no help hehe,:huh:

Hi Good people of Grimesthorpe.

I have to admit my nervousness at moving to an unfamiliar area was quite unfounded. I took the pooches for a walk this morning and all the people I encountered were so friendly. I think I'm going to be very happy living here. Thank you

I have to admit my nervousness at moving to an unfamiliar area was quite unfounded. I took the pooches for a walk this morning and all the people I encountered were so friendly. I think I'm going to be very happy living here. Thank you

Hi MA DEE

Glad to hear you are settling in and meeting the folks of

Grimesthorpe. I hope you are very happy living there

Thanks NettieJ

I feel like a weight lifted off my shoulders...Feels like home 1st time in ages. Harvey the pooch seems quite happy too!

Well look out for me Dee, I'm always out walking my dog and I'm still in Grimesthorpe I've never moved out of the village, I still love the place and the people who live here, you'll spot me a mile off I've got the ugliest little dog on the planet.

Thanks Skippy. Was she short with dark hair?

She was about 5 foot 6 in the 60's, but her hair wasn't that dark, the entrance to their yard was opposite Dor's house, which was next to a bit of spare land at the bottom of Botham st.

I only met her once, but we used to sit with her parents every weekend in the Grimey club.