Anyone come from Grimesthorpe? (Part 2)

This is my first contact and the lull after your last reunion seems a good time to try. From birth I lived initially on Crown Hill (seemingly only a local name-really Carlisle Road) not far away from the old Alexandra Hotel but then moved in the mid/late fifties to Adsetts Street where the family stayed until moved to Southey (and the street demolished) in 1970. I accidently came across this thread recently via google and have read with interest threads 1 and 2 and am pleased that finally someone (Hawk eye) is from the same street as me. The names i've come across that are familiar so far are (Reform Chapel/Lifeboys/Boys Brigade) - John Smith/Ken Morris, Alan Wootton, Neil Revill. Also knew various others mentioned - eg Dave Jessop, Susan Hepplestone, Les Rhodes, Tom Oldfield. My schooling began at Owler Lane infants and then Grimesthorpe Junior and then in 1962 together with 7 others we left for secondary school - following in the footsteps of Michael Barrett and a certain Mick Rawson. ( Only yesterday i saw on the website for Firth Park the form photograph for 1B 1961-62 with messrs Barrett and Rawson both there). If this first attempt manages to appear on the thread i can try again!

Hi benbob, welcome to the thread. You know who I am as my name is in your first post, how about a few clues as to who you are. I'll tell you now the they had better be easy clues 'cos the old grey matter isn't what it used to be. :hihi: If I don't guess who you are I'll bet that someone on here will, some are pretty good at guessing who people are. I went to Reform Chapel and was in the Lifeboys/Boys Brigade and went to the youth club on Sunday nights after church.

My schooling began at Owler Lane infants and then Grimesthorpe Junior and then in 1962 together with 7 others we left for secondary school - following in the footsteps of Michael Barrett and a certain Mick Rawson. ( Only yesterday i saw on the website for Firth Park the form photograph for 1B 1961-62 with messrs Barrett and Rawson both there). If this first attempt manages to appear on the thread i can try again!

Hello Benbob, welcome to the thread, I'm trying to think of people, a year younger than myself and Mick Barrett who went to Firth Park Grammar School from Grimesthorpe , with links to Reform Chapel who lived up adsetts street way. Is it Donald Yates ?

A very HAPPY BIRTHDAY for tomorrow sister dear.Wont divulge your age but it's a big one next year and its not 50.xxx

thanks for the wishes sheila you sound like bette davis, and geotom knows that we are only 49 lol xxxxxx

A very HAPPY BIRTHDAY for tomorrow sister dear.Wont divulge your age but it's a big one next year and its not 50.xxx

:partyhat:happy birthday sue:partyhat:

Hope you have a nice day, ( and get some nice pressies of course :hihi:)

did anyone see the jeremy kyle show on itv 2 this week about sheffield code gangs he went to pitsmoor /manor/firth park/and shirecliffe darrell

:partyhat:happy birthday sue:partyhat:

Hope you have a nice day, ( and get some nice pressies of course :hihi:)

HAPPY BIRTHDAY SUE, AV A GUD UN !!!! xxxxxxxx

well done Mick-you worked that out quicker than i could have done-obviously all the practice on working out the other identities on the thread.

Miller- I may have mentioned you on my first posting-but not quite worked you out, are you Alan (probably) or Neil? Or am i hopelessly in the wrong?

Great fun reading thru all the previous postings - especially on thread 2 re Draper Street/Adsetts Street/Bland Street & Cleveland Street folk - especially Ann/Janet Grocock, Kath Fleming, Diane Hanson, the Hicks etc. Only local person i'm still in touch with is Harry Houlden (Adsetts Street).

Nostalgia is a wonderful medicine.

Seen photos on Sheffield picture library mainly from 60's and all black & white - but that's how i seem to remember it.

Only group meeting with Grimesthorpe folk since 1970 was to a reunion arranged by Elaine Shaw in 1993 for a 35th anniversry of the grimesthorpe junior class of 58. Will dig out a photo and post (if i can manage to!!!-doing it will have to be idiot poof) on thread. Ann Grocock & Kath Fleming were definitely there that nite. Did any one else go?

well done Mick-you worked that out quicker than i could have done-obviously all the practice on working out the other identities on the thread.

Miller- I may have mentioned you on my first posting-but not quite worked you out, are you Alan (probably) or Neil? Or am i hopelessly in the wrong?

Great fun reading thru all the previous postings - especially on thread 2 re Draper Street/Adsetts Street/Bland Street & Cleveland Street folk - especially Ann/Janet Grocock, Kath Fleming, Diane Hanson, the Hicks etc. Only local person i'm still in touch with is Harry Houlden (Adsetts Street).

Nostalgia is a wonderful medicine.

Seen photos on Sheffield picture library mainly from 60's and all black & white - but that's how i seem to remember it.

Only group meeting with Grimesthorpe folk since 1970 was to a reunion arranged by Elaine Shaw in 1993 for a 35th anniversry of the grimesthorpe junior class of 58. Will dig out a photo and post (if i can manage to!!!-doing it will have to be idiot poof) on thread. Ann Grocock & Kath Fleming were definitely there that nite. Did any one else go?

hi susan hepplestone here,yes i went to the reunion that elaine shaw arranged seem to recall it was ecclesfield way.... john martin was there as was lynn allen i saw a few others there that night as well god where does time go didn,t realise it was that far back hope you are keeping well xx

We all love our heritage. Why do we not support our local last standing old school house? Instead i see the landlord and landlady taking insults while trying to keep the most famous public house alive whilst in a ressesion, dont forgett they are tied to a brewery enterprise inns, plese go to enterprise inns. co.uk to find out how harsh their brewery is just as punch taverns and admiral taverns. lets sort these brewers out before they kill our houses

We all love our heritage. Why do we not support our local last standing old school house? Instead i see the landlord and landlady taking insults while trying to keep the most famous public house alive whilst in a ressesion, dont forgett they are tied to a brewery enterprise inns, plese go to enterprise inns. co.uk to find out how harsh their brewery is just as punch taverns and admiral taverns. lets sort these brewers out before they kill our houses

What, did I miss something?

Hi ya benbob, and welcome, yes, I also went to Elain's do at Ecclefield, it was good to see faces from the past, but I don't remember seeing you.