Anyone come from Grimesthorpe? (Part 2)

Hi all, was talking in the Railway last night, and from what was said it seems that the it won't be long before the Sheffield Arms shuts down, that will be another local institution gone.
last time i was in ball aka ringside the owners were on about buying the arms but were told its not for sale:huh:doubt its closing down !

Na then geotom you should know you should never listen to rumours, yet again repeat them , especially in writing with your name on it:huh:. And Janie- m Naughty naughty, but full marks for appology :thumbsup:

Well said anyone whom is a proper Grimesthorper Knows where hazerdous conversation within their public houses accures, should also know that 9 times out of ten its a load of S...! But I agree Nice for Janie to apologies not alot of people would do. Again I know that alot of small business are struggling but the Arms are fighters and honest people. Sometimes just a shame that people cant see past the hard times especially considering the majority of us are there ourselves.:rolleyes::cool::o:)

Yes that`s me Faith,it must be about 50yrs or so since I saw you.When somebody slipped your name out I realised,only one in Grimey.Where does Flo Fennel come from?

can tha recall us takin sim o that coal slack home to burn on us home fires. there were pieces flyin off like bullets out of a gun, we thought it was coal, till mi father gave me a skutch for bein so daft. i dint know, i was only a young kid ( i'm re-ferin to the blackhills on holliwell road brightside)

Edited by Fothers

can tha recall us takin sim o that coal slack home to burn on us home fires. there were pieces flyin off like bullets out of a gun, we thought it was coal, till mi father gave me a skutch for bein so daft. i dint know, i was only a young kid ( i'm re-ferin to the blackhills on holliwell road brightside)

Holywell hehehehehehe

You're not going to believe this Skippy, but the 1901 Census shows my Grandad Rawson and his parents living at 95 Alfred Road. We might even be related or at least our family's cat must have peed up your family's entry !

As skippy said my dad's family lived on Alfred Rd. I couldn't find them on the census but they may not have been there then. My dad was the second eldest and he was born in 1906. I'll have another look. My cousin's family lived in the same yard so I will ask him if he remembers what number it was.

My mum's family lived on Fleet St. I think so still the same area. Amazing isn't it?

hiya walt my grandparants lived at 27alfred rd in 1901 and on brightside lane in 1891 and newall rd in 1881 i think i may have found a relative i didant know i had on ancestry .co.uk and thats after 60 odd years bye darrell

As skippy said my dad's family lived on Alfred Rd. I couldn't find them on the census but they may not have been there then. My dad was the second eldest and he was born in 1906. I'll have another look. My cousin's family lived in the same yard so I will ask him if he remembers what number it was.

My mum's family lived on Fleet St. I think so still the same area. Amazing isn't it?

hi dors if u contact them can you find out if they knew of a JOHN WILLIAM HEPPLESTONE married to MARGARET, JOHN was known as JACK.he would have been around 30 or so when he left alfred road hes spikes dad and thats all i know about him cheers susan x

Hiya Susan im ok Pat had a stroke in march but shes coming on great thanks my gg/grand patants also lived on alred rd my granddad was born in liverpool but my gg/parants all the rest of allens were born in sheffield bye for now darrell

hi dors if u contact them can you find out if they knew of a JOHN WILLIAM HEPPLESTONE married to MARGARET, JOHN was known as JACK.he would have been around 30 or so when he left alfred road hes spikes dad and thats all i know about him cheers susan x

Hi Susan,

Do you know around what year they left Alfred Rd?

Dors.

You're not going to believe this Skippy, but the 1901 Census shows my Grandad Rawson and his parents living at 95 Alfred Road.

My dad's lot lived at 182 Alfred Rd Mick.

Sorry for ruffling feathers, but it got folk talking again.

hi all i was talking to my dad this morning and asked him if he knew how the hooker (who can tell) got its name he didnt know but he did remember them always running out of beer and going to Sutcliffes corner shop to buy some