Anyone come from Grimesthorpe? (Part 2)

Hi all, was talking in the Railway last night, and from what was said it seems that the it won't be long before the Sheffield Arms shuts down, that will be another local institution gone.

Yeah rumour has it that they've been borrowing money from customers to buy the ale! We stopped going in and the sunday dinner Broadheads cos the ale went up and it wasn't a nice pint.

Edited by janie-m
spelling

Hello ann johnson and eve macallam if you go to http://www.tommy gould prisoner of war .co. And see if you recognize this chap he lived opposite you on botham st with is dad and he was my uncle bye darrell

Hi Susan. Just for the record, it was called Clay Street. Mindless bit of useless information, dont you think?

the reason i wanted to know fothers is because im trying to trace my grandfathers family but cant find any record of him being on clay st so was asking for something that sounded something like thanks anyhow susanx

:) I can honestly say ive drunk in the arms for years and years and the ale is still spot on. Must have been a bad day, cant see arms closing and dont think theres anyone rich enough to lend money to pay for their beer ita enterprise and their robing nicks! However we all know how rumors fly around Grimesthorpe.
Yeah rumour has it that they've been borrowing money from customers to buy the ale! We stopped going in and the sunday dinner Broadheads cos the ale went up and it wasn't a nice pint.

Cant see Sheffield Arms closing but if it did id be staying at home as it is where i spend the majority of my social time. The beer is spot on never really much to complain about on that front. I know they have had a rough trot over the past few months but what small business hasnt in this climate. cant see them having customer rich enough to lend them money there Enterpise arnt they and there robbing nicks.

Hello George, that's sad news, another Grimesthorpe landmark and tradition about to disappear. The last time I was in The Arms was at our second reunion and when we suggested a third, most people preferred The Ball. I assumed it was due to being more room in The Ball but perhaps the writing was already on the wall.

Edited by cat631

the reason i wanted to know fothers is because im trying to trace my grandfathers family but cant find any record of him being on clay st so was asking for something that sounded something like thanks anyhow susanx

Hello Susan. I had a look on an old Attercliffe map and the roads off Alfred Road. There's nothing like Clee Street but four with short names. Could it be Fell Street or Fell Place, Heath Street or Fleet Street?

Thats true, the ale did get terrible, i did tell mexican Kev when he asked why we stopped goin in. tho i have been in recently and it was fine again.

Thankyou for confirming my thoughts the sheffield arms is a good house. Mybe im just an old school charecter however like i said earlier the ale is spot on. Sure they will pull through the recession and trying times. They make it a good house defeating all odds. and as my friend and londlord says these things are sent too try us!

Hello Susan. I had a look on an old Attercliffe map and the roads off Alfred Road. There's nothing like Clee Street but four with short names. Could it be Fell Street or Fell Place, Heath Street or Fleet Street?

hiya cat thanks for that im not having much luck finding my forefathers tho, most of my dads side are long gone and the ones that are left .......well ??????? lol will try those streets tho thanks again susan x

Thankyou for confirming my thoughts the sheffield arms is a good house. Mybe im just an old school charecter however like i said earlier the ale is spot on. Sure they will pull through the recession and trying times. They make it a good house defeating all odds. and as my friend and londlord says these things are sent too try us!

exactly, well said. hope they do pull through, just it isnt what it used to be and i hope grimesthorpe's most popular public house doesn't close. gutted if it does

Does anybody remember a Grimesthorpe girl by the name of Lynn Chapman in the 60s.She got pregnant in 1969 and I was just wondering if anybody can remember the name of the child's father,I know its a long shot but its worth a try.