Anyone come from Grimesthorpe? (Part 2)

Hi Fleetwood

Glad you enjoyed it, I am hoping to have a look round after the Easter hols. It is now used as an inclusion centre.

They have a website on which you can have a virtual tour which some of you may find interesting. See http://www.ks3incsheffield.co.uk

I called in The Winter Gardens on Surrey Street today and got into conversation with a lovely lady who now lives at Outibridge. Many years ago she lived on Moss street. Please meet, Irene Oldfield.

DSCN6461.jpg

Hi Cat,

I cannot place Moss Street as we lived at the other end, the "posh" end of Grimey.

I seem to remember a Oldfields dairy? or is my memory fading and also a guy who may have been a tad younger than me called Oldfield?

Hi Cat,

I cannot place Moss Street as we lived at the other end, the "posh" end of Grimey.

I seem to remember a Oldfields dairy? or is my memory fading and also a guy who may have been a tad younger than me called Oldfield?

Your memory is doing fine Dave.

Alan & Tom Oldfield were a year or two younger than us. Theirs was the dairy/ICE CREAM family on Moss street.

I wouldn't call it posh though, Steve Claypole lived on there, & MinnieJ lived just round'corner.

Edited by SPLITLIP

Minnies computer is down so I'll say it for her.

Tha'll gerra reyt crack if I come over theer David Jessop.

Hi Cat,

Hello Dave. Moss Street ran from roughly The Wellington on Carlisle Road up to Hunsley Street. Geoff And Keith Wright lived on there.

I called in The Winter Gardens on Surrey Street today and got into conversation with a lovely lady who now lives at Outibridge. Many years ago she lived on Moss street. Please meet, Irene Oldfield.

DSCN6461.jpg

I'm very proud to say THAT IS MY AUNT :D (or 2nd cousin, I'm not sure :confused: ). Her mum was my Dad's Aunt. Anyway, all their family came from Grimesthorpe.

I've often spoken of her on here :)

hi i thought i introduce my self i was born on upwell st

Edited by yatesace

hi cat,still not ringing any bells but i will bow to yours and gemini's superior knowledge.its in my head that they called it something unction but could just be slang for it.sheila

Hey-up Sheila,

I seem to recall somebody talking about that before, I think it's Blue Unction, what did you say you used that for:huh::huh:

DSCN6461.jpg

glad to see Mrs Oldfield is still going strong,she's served me with many an ice-cream.Can remember old lady Oldfield too that was Jack's mum.Sheila

Minnies computer is down so I'll say it for her.

Tha'll gerra reyt crack if I come over theer David Jessop.

Thought she was quiet,thought she'd gone on another holiday.Sheila:hihi:

Hey-up Sheila,

I seem to recall somebody talking about that before, I think it's Blue Unction, what did you say you used that for:huh::huh:

Hi Dave,sure it was for impetigo think Cat knows but he's not saying.Sheila

I asked Mrs Oldfield about the shop on the corner of Grimesthorpe Road and Hunsley Street, she remembered the chap who owned it but only his first name....Clarence.