Anyone come from Grimesthorpe? (Part 2)

Here's one for CAT. Can you remember a German boy at Owler Lane Sec Mod, it must have been in the 2nd or 3rd year. I think his name was Ernst Dabcovitch, not sure about the spelling of his surname. I remember him having a fight with someone we know.

Here's one for CAT. Can you remember a German boy at Owler Lane Sec Mod, it must have been in the 2nd or 3rd year. I think his name was Ernst Dabcovitch, not sure about the spelling of his surname. I remember him having a fight with someone we know.

Yer gorra be able t'feyt wi a name like that:hihi::hihi:

Yer gorra be able t'feyt wi a name like that:hihi::hihi:
I can remember him coming to school in his shorts and lederhosen. I took my stamp collection to school and showed him my collection of German stamps,, Some of them had a picture of a German chappy with a funny little tash, He started thumping the stamps for some reason, Some people have no sense of humour.:rolleyes:

I do remember Ernst. He came to stay with his relatives who lived on Wincobank Lane. They must have thought it a good idea to improve his English by sending him to Owler Lane for a few weeks. 'Ey up Ernst, ar tha goin' on'. We were in the 'huts' (first year) and Mr Clifford, in his wisdom, sat Ernst with Alligin and me. I got a big 'telling off' and my first lesson in diplomacy after the next art class, my drawing of the good guys, the British Tommy's machine guning the Jerries didn't go down too well. I still cringe at the thought but nobody said "Don't mention the war".

I do remember Ernst. He came to stay with his relatives who lived on Wincobank Lane. They must have thought it a good idea to improve his English by sending him to Owler Lane for a few weeks. 'Ey up Ernst, ar tha goin' on'. We were in the 'huts' (first year) and Mr Clifford, in his wisdom, sat Ernst with Alligin and me. I got a big 'telling off' and my first lesson in diplomacy after the next art class, my drawing of the good guys, the British Tommy's machine guning the Jerries didn't go down too well. I still cringe at the thought but nobody said "Don't mention the war".

I didn't think you would remember him. He wasn't there long, maybe a year. It's funny how some things stay in your memories, but you forget other things until something triggers your memory. Well done CAT.

Hi all,a piece of useless information for any one who is interested,the Beehive closed in 1972 & the ball opened in 1830

Hi All,

Sent an enquiry to Forum admin regarding whether the old thread would be deleted. The answer is below:

There is no plan to remove the original thread. The reason that the original thread was closed was because large threads use a large amount of server time to open and explore each time they are opened by anyone.

Bearing in mind that the majority of users only want to view current or recent posts, separating the thread into 'current' and 'older' posts means that those who actually do wish to read through the old responses can do so, but for all of the people who only want to read current replies then their opening of the thread doesn't add to server loading.

Hope this puts eveyones mind at rest.

Dors.

who remembers the pattern shop on carlisle street going up in flames? what year was it? a night to remember! I know it was a Sunday!

It was only a night to rember because my friends came to call on me to come out, my father would not let me as we had been watching the fire, so I threw my bowl of fruit at him and run like the clappers (what a bad girl).

cat mentioned Mr. Clifford,He married one of the other teachers who was she? I know I was in his class twice, we was such a rowdy lot!!!! he asked for our class, and I must admit he was the best teacher for us. Did anyone remember the yard at the top of Dunmow road? some of the prefabs backed on to it. Talking of prefabs does anyone remember Gwen Sigdley. Her dad was a miner I think

Hello Gemini, I hope you are well. I'm almost sure he married Miss Foulkes. Hilly, the pattern shop fire has been mentioned before and think the year was 1963 or 64. Do you know of any photographs of the fire?

Edited by cat631

Hi Gemini 2,I remember Gwen Sigdley,the yard at the top of Dunmow rd belonged to the corperation they kept equipment for doing road repairs & salt & grit for icey & snowy roads my dad worked from there.Do you remember Josephine Harris,she lived in one of those stone built houses on Upwell st just below Dunmow rd,she was knocked down by a tram. cat put a class photo on the forum for me it was taken about the same time as the one you put on,did you see it?