Anyone come from Grimesthorpe? (Part 2)

who remembers old lady olgarth,lived where the 2 lads are on the right hand side of photo.hi terry did you really think that hunsley st was a hill always seemed flat to me compared to some st's in the area.:thumbsup:sheila

Hi Sheila,

It looks to me that it could be the one at the corner of Petre St and Botham St. The grade on the road looks about right the way I remember it.

I don't know what the buildings could be that are further along Petre St. though. There was nothing there in our time that I can remember until they built J.G. Graves but there could have been companies there back in the time of the photo. Part of the Sheffield Brick Company perhaps? Don't know how we could find out.

Dors.

Hi Sheila,

It looks to me that it could be the one at the corner of Petre St and Botham St. The grade on the road looks about right the way I remember it.

I don't know what the buildings could be that are further along Petre St. though. There was nothing there in our time that I can remember until they built J.G. Graves but there could have been companies there back in the time of the photo. Part of the Sheffield Brick Company perhaps? Don't know how we could find out.

Dors.

hi dors,it's a very old photo but i can remember the railings.

Oh NO not part two my ulcer is begining to ack up again

G'day Flyer, are you new to the thread? where do you come from then other than Canada?

Dors.

Hi Nettie I wondered where that picture ended up glad to know it didn,t get lost. Did you see the one of Albert Parr that cat put on the forum? Linda did say she thought it was the shop that was on the corner of Grimesthorpe rd & Hunsley st.Fleetwood the couple in the photo are Rex Bacon,s great grand parents.

Hi Jean

The photo was left behind, so I brought it home with me to keep it safe

You do realise you will now have to come to the next reunion

to get it back :hihi::hihi:

The things you have to do eh!! :hihi:

Hi NETTI, I was asked at the re-union if I thought it was on the corner of Hunsley and Petre St. but said I didn't think so as H unsley is on a hill, if you look at the photo both corners look pretty level, however, it could be this one on corner of Botham and Petre St. what do you think?

http://www.picturesheffield.co.uk/cgi-bin/zoom.pl?picture=http://www.picturesheffield.com/jpgh/u01147.jpg

hi terry that is definitely the corner shop on petre st and botham st but im convinced that linda was right about the one on hunsley/grimesthorpe corner susan x

who remembers old lady olgarth,lived where the 2 lads are on the right hand side of photo.hi terry did you really think that hunsley st was a hill always seemed flat to me compared to some st's in the area.:thumbsup:sheila

Hi Sheila,:wave: Hunsley St. is definitely on a gradient from Carlisle Rd. to Petre St. as that part is still there, but from there to Grimesthorpe Rd was a bit more on a level. Talking of hills, you couldn't get much better than Sharpe St. could you? now that was one steep hill, used to hate climbing up there on Sunday morning with a bag full of papers to deliver, don't know why I never made it the last bit of my round instead of the first.:hihi:

hi terry that is definitely the corner shop on petre st and botham st but im convinced that linda was right about the one on hunsley/grimesthorpe corner susan x

Hi Sue,:wave: wouldn't argue, as I can't really get a picture of it in my mind,:loopy:

Hi Sue,:wave: wouldn't argue, as I can't really get a picture of it in my mind,:loopy:

Hey-up Terry,

I was thinking back to some of the older posts where there was talk of buildings or premises catching fire, and I remembered that there was a service station on Earl Marshall road, top of Upwell (Stoney) Hill, that went up in flames. I remember hearing the bangs as things exploded inside the garage, and then as the crowd gathered to watch, stuff started shooting through the roof as if fired out of a gun. I think the roof must have been corrugated asbestos or something, and bits of roof were flying everywhere.

Any memories??

Hey-up Terry,

I was thinking back to some of the older posts where there was talk of buildings or premises catching fire, and I remembered that there was a service station on Earl Marshall road, top of Upwell (Stoney) Hill, that went up in flames. I remember hearing the bangs as things exploded inside the garage, and then as the crowd gathered to watch, stuff started shooting through the roof as if fired out of a gun. I think the roof must have been corrugated asbestos or something, and bits of roof were flying everywhere.

Any memories??

it were called J M ROPER IF THE MEMORY SERVES ME RIGHT..:confused:

Hi Beehive boy

I know what you mean about business.

Are you saying it's a bit SLACK.

definately very SLACKEY, you had to come out of the woodwork for that one.where have you been of late ?

Hi Nettie I wondered where that picture ended up glad to know it didn,t get lost. Did you see the one of Albert Parr that cat put on the forum? Linda did say she thought it was the shop that was on the corner of Grimesthorpe rd & Hunsley st.Fleetwood the couple in the photo are Rex Bacon,s great grand parents.

hi jean , mum and dad were sorry about missing you at the reunion if want to pm me i will give you their telephone number

pigeon your memory serves you right it was Ropers garage.