Anyone come from Grimesthorpe? (Part 2)

if business does not pick up soon it might be a forced retirement !!!!!!!!!

Hi Beehive boy

I know what you mean about business.

Are you saying it's a bit SLACK.

Hi everyone.

Here is a photograph that was passed around at the

reunion. Somehow I seemed to have ended up with it

I think this was also donated by

Rex Bacon and Jean Shaw.

If I am wrong I am sure someone will correct me :hihi:

IMG.jpg

I think minniej knew where the shop was

can anyone remember?

hi nettie sure you're linda said it was corner hunsley st /grimesthorpe rd.shop in later became swindells.? sheila

hi nettie sure you're linda said it was corner hunsley st /grimesthorpe rd.shop in later became swindells.? sheila

i know i missed years out:loopy:

Hi everyone.

reunion. Somehow I seemed to have ended up with it

I think this was also donated by

Rex Bacon and Jean Shaw.

If I am wrong I am sure someone will correct me :hihi:

IMG.jpg

can anyone remember?

When I was a kid in Grimesthorpe, I recall the corner shop at the junction of Grimesthorpe Rd, Botham St North, Cyclops St and Botham St, was Holmes off licence. My mother bought her weekly groceries there and some on the tab during the week. I am almost positive it was 'Holmes' then, now we are not as old as the picture, if the location is, as I suggest, the business could have been passed down in the family from one generation to the next. My parents moved into Grimesthorpe in 1933, the picture seems to be from the turn of the century and is wonderful snapshot of the era.

hi all

i enjoyed meeting up with john davis as i did mention him at the beginning of the thread saying it would be nice to see him again after 47 yrs so i got my wish and it was great to see everyone else

Eve Mc\allen got in touch with me today through friends reunited i gave her my e-mail address so hopefully i will be able to get her on the forum as well i got a bit worried when i saw they had closed the forum down but we have started new one so keep it up

hi all

i enjoyed meeting up with john davis as i did mention him at the beginning of the thread saying it would be nice to see him again after 47 yrs so i got my wish and it was great to see everyone else

Eve Mc\allen got in touch with me today through friends reunited i gave her my e-mail address so hopefully i will be able to get her on the forum as well i got a bit worried when i saw they had closed the forum down but we have started new one so keep it up

hi ann,it would be nice to hear from eve tell her to come and join the thread.hope you're ok.Am i right in thinking Ina passed away.hope you're ok.sheila x

Hi Nettie I wondered where that picture ended up glad to know it didn,t get lost. Did you see the one of Albert Parr that cat put on the forum? Linda did say she thought it was the shop that was on the corner of Grimesthorpe rd & Hunsley st.Fleetwood the couple in the photo are Rex Bacon,s great grand parents.

Hi everyone.

reunion.

IMG.jpg

can anyone remember?

Hi NETTI, I was asked at the re-union if I thought it was on the corner of Hunsley and Petre St. but said I didn't think so as H unsley is on a hill, if you look at the photo both corners look pretty level, however, it could be this one on corner of Botham and Petre St. what do you think?

http://www.picturesheffield.co.uk/cgi-bin/zoom.pl?picture=http://www.picturesheffield.com/jpgh/u01147.jpg

it could be this one on corner of Botham and Petre St. what do you think?

I very much doubt that it was the one on the corner of Botham & Petre St Terry, there was a very slight gradiant on that corner too, it's flat on the photo.

Edited by cosywolf
fixed quotes

hi all

Hi Ann,

Say hello to Eve for me when you are talking to her. I wondered what had happened to her.

Dors.

Hi Dors

Are you well?

John is Lalola's father I did have is telephone number but lost it I can probably find his number unless he is exdirectory or has moved address he has not been to the last few reunions but having said that I have missed the last two.

Hi Dave,

I couldn't be better. Really enjoying retirement. Hope you're well too. It would be good if you could find John's number. A few people have commented on the fact that we haven't heard from her for a while.

Thanks

Dors.

Hi NETTI, I was asked at the re-union if I thought it was on the corner of Hunsley and Petre St. but said I didn't think so as H unsley is on a hill, if you look at the photo both corners look pretty level, however, it could be this one on corner of Botham and Petre St. what do you think?

http://www.picturesheffield.co.uk/cgi-bin/zoom.pl?picture=http://www.picturesheffield.com/jpgh/u01147.jpg

who remembers old lady olgarth,lived where the 2 lads are on the right hand side of photo.hi terry did you really think that hunsley st was a hill always seemed flat to me compared to some st's in the area.:thumbsup:sheila