140 Walkley Lane

Hello.

This called 'Amusement Caters'. How every looks like an old builind with a little bell tower on the top.

Engraved on the building is: S.E.C.S 1913. So what what is in years gone by?

Edited by Looopylass
(EDITED FROM S.C.E.S)

Hello.

This called 'Amusement Caters'. How every looks like an old builind with a little bell tower on the top.

Engraved on the building is: S.C.E.S 1913. So what what is in years gone by?

could it be sheffield city education service perhaps

could it be sheffield city education service perhaps

Unsure, SCES seems to stand for alot of different things. Surely it should be in some history archives what the building was.

Hello.

Engraved on the building is: S.C.E.S 1913. So what what is in years gone by?

Until the early 60's that was a Co-op, although the letters don't match the usual, Brightside and Carbrook, or Sheffield and Ecclesall. There are probably others though.

My uncle suggested a co-op for some reason. Some parts of my family used to live in the area 50/60 years ago, so maybe he'd seen it when it was such.

It says SECS not SCES, so it is Sheffield and Ecclesall Cooperative Society.

Hugh :)

It says SECS not SCES, so it is Sheffield and Ecclesall Cooperative Society.

Hugh :)

Sorry Typo. Oh right. Why would they but a bell on that? I thought it was an important building or something not just a shop.

Sorry Typo. Oh right. Why would they but a bell on that? I thought it was an important building or something not just a shop.

If you look on Google Earth, street level, it's there in all it's glory. Most Co-op buildings were quite elaborate in those days, probably 1910 -1930.

I doubt it was a bell tower, quite a few Co-ops had a lifting beam with a pully on to lift stock up to the first floor storage, back in the days of loose sugar, flour, dried beans etc. in hundredweight sacks, don't know if it could apply to this one, have another look.

I doubt it was a bell tower, quite a few Co-ops had a lifting beam with a pully on to lift stock up to the first floor storage, back in the days of loose sugar, flour, dried beans etc. in hundredweight sacks, don't know if it could apply to this one, have another look.

Its on the roof. looks like a little bell top thing.

it was a co-op and the bell tower is a cupola. after it ceased to trade it became a overhaul manufactures.Ihad the garage opposite for 26 yrs.

SECS stood for Sheffield & Ecclesall  Cooperative Society as HughW said.

Sheffield and Ecclesall related to Sheffield & Ecclesall Bierli, an area of Sheffield. Another set of initials were BCCS  which was Brightside and Carbrook Cooperative Society.