Childminder vs nurseries - pros and cons parents views.

I chose a nursery because at the time I was a single parent, and working full time, and I didn't want to rely solely on one person. I was worried that a CM might be sick or book holidays or leave me in the lurch for some other reason. Also, my child had the sort of personality which suited a nursery environment - she adores people and lots of stuff happening!

In addition, I also thought (rightly or wrongly - my personal opinion) that if one nursery worker was a bit slack or substandard, it would quickly be noticed in a nursery setting with co-workers and managers about. But a childminder could be awful or plonk the children in front of the tv all day, and I would never know. I preferred the safety of numbers.

x

Whilst tempted just to let this lie, I dont want you to feel anyone is attacking your choice to use a nursery Cosywolf which it sounds like your children are very happy with, and I dont think this is anyones intention. As I already stated I understand why some people choose a nursery. My comment about the research is not my opinion, but research, raised in defense of CM's being seen as glorified childminders. My frustration at some nurseries drawing parents in on the educational line remains, as when I was looking into childcare more than one reputable nursery told me with authority some untruths (about educational and other aspects) which other parents have proudly quoted to me and thus it concerns me lots of parents believe marketing speak. However, I did not visit the nursery you use and I am sure they are great as you are very confident your children love it there. As I said there are also some terrible CMs out there too. People have to choose what is best for them based on their situation, I just wish there was more objective information out there to support Mums in their choices as it is such a difficult decision

Edited by SamMT

Having worked on a garden a few doors down from a childminder it completely put me off she spent more time leaning on the fence on her phone or entertaining friends when they were round. The only interaction with the kids was "stop doing that" or "get down from there"

My child goes to nursery he is nearly 2 3/4 a friends child is 2-3 months younger and he goes to a childminder when my child was my friends age he was holding full conversations, starting to say his abc could count to ten etc

Obvioulsy there is different abilties in kids and some learn quicker than others so 2 kids may not be a fair comparison but im with nurseries all the way so long as they are a good one.

They have structure and a massive variation in activities to stimulate.

I have to say I have never actually set foot in a nursery but know friends who have sent their children to fantastic ones. However, for me, it was as someone else said the issue of my daughter only being 9 months old that I felt she would receive more individual attention at a childminders. Fortunately a friend recommended one so I felt happy that she would be safe and happy there.

i have heard horror stories of the food served at some nurseries, as well as the rate of staff turnover, but obviously this does not apply to every nursery - you just have to do your research I imagine.

I know a few local childminders and I know all the paperwork, NVQ courses and Ofsted checks they have to go through (being a teacher myself I can sympathise!) so I would never regard them as "glorified babysitters" - alhough I am sure there are some not-so-good cms who maybe are, but that's the same in any line of work. My little girl loves the attention from the older kids when they come home from school, gets to go to playgroups, on the swings and just for a walk on the school run (when she invariably falls asleep!) and she always eats her lunch which she often doesn't for me - so I give cms a big thumbs up!

I agree with cosy in that I can never understand why mum's find parenting such a competition?! Surely as we know how hard it can be and the trials of being a parent we should be more supportive of other mums?

Thing is, you may write something in a post not meaning it to be competitive or hurtful but the person reading it may feel you are 'having a go'. I've not read anything in this thread that, to me, is anything other than people voicing their opinions, and that is what was asked for.

Personally I will always choose a childminder over a nursery. That's because I have a lot of reservations about my son going into the 'system' whether that be in nursery, pre-school or school. My daughter is in the process of looking for a nursery for her son. It's not a competition, it's freedom of choice surely?