Pub on macro st 1800s

Hypothesis - George NELSON died in the period 1939-45.

I searched the GRO Death index for those years and found only one George NELSON who died in Sheffield:

GRO Deaths DEC Qtr 1940

NELSON George 46y

Sheffield 9c 711

Is there any family tradition that he was younger than Beatrice?

I considered the possibility that he died in the Blitz but he is not in the published list and I would think such an event would have survived in family memory.

His age means he was born c1894. Unfortunately I cannot see a birth that matches exactly.

chunkyfunky, when the Archives re-open on December 1st, and if you have no objecton, I will find out where Beatrice is buried in City Road and who is buried with her. This should be straightforward using the published indexes.

Hugh

The only Sheffield birth around that time was:

NELSON George Walter

Dec.Qtr. 1893

Sheffield. 9c. 635

Duffems

Last week I was applying to the G.R.O. for a number of certificates, and in view of the interest in this thread I also applied for Beatrice's death certificate, which arrived this morning.

Beatrice Easy died, aged 70, on 15 September 1959 at "91 Monmouth Street, Broomhill" (this should actually read "Broomhall"). She was the "Widow of George William Easy, Cutlery knife grinder" and died of heart failure combined with other heart/kidney ailments. The informant was "G. Nichols, Daughter, Present at the death, 2 Fox Street, Sheffield". This would be chunkyfunky's mother Gertrude, whose birth (as HughW told us) was registered as both Gertrude Nelson and Gertrude Easy in the first quarter of 1925.

So this confirms that, although Beatrice evidently lived with George Nelson, she was never married to him. She married George William Easy in 1907, and did not remarry after he died, evidently in 1942. I suppose we can discount the remote possibility that Beatrice divorced George Easy, married George Nelson, and then after Nelson died or was divorced, she re-married George Easy. The fact that Beatrice's children, born between 1925 and 1930, have their births entered in the index with both surnames supports the view, proposed by HughW, that these were George Nelson's children, born while Beatrice was still married to George Easy.

chunkyfunky - if you PM me a mailing address I'll put the certificate in the post gratis.

Duffems reference to George Walter Nelson's birth is interesting in that Beatrice's son was called Walter Nelson. Walter was certainly never known as anything but Nelson, so I would say he was G.W. Nelson's son --and the Nelson you have found is the man who went on to live at Macro Street in later years. Any other details re Nelson's parents and any siblings, Duffems?

Duffems,

You mention a George Nelson born 1893 , can you find him on the 1901 cencus as a 7/8yr old boy? is it possible to find out who his parents were and in what part of Sheffield he came from (if at all)

thankyou

DUFFEMS and chunkyfunky - given that George Walter Nelson was born in 1893, I looked for him in the 1901 census but did not find him. However, a George Walter Nelson died in Sheffield in the first quarter of 1895, aged 1 (Vol. 93 Page 386) and so this would seem to be the one. The 1901 census lists several George Nelsons in Sheffield, the nearest in age to Beatrice being a George William Nelson who was born in Sheffield in the first quarter of 1889. In 1901 he was living with his grandparents William and Frances Nelson at 24 Upper St Philips Road.

There is this1901 England Census

about Walter Nelson

Name: Walter Nelson

Estimated Birth Year: abt 1896

Relation: Son

Father's Name: Walter

Mother's Name: Mary

Where born: Attercliffe, Yorkshire, England

Civil Parish: Attercliffe Cum Darnall

Ecclesiastical parish: Attercliffe Christchurch

Town: Sheffield

County/Island: Yorkshire

Street address: 238 Shirland Lane

Registration district: Sheffield

Sub registration district: Attercliffe

ED, institution, or vessel: 22

Neighbors: View others on page

Household schedule number: 3

Household Members: Name Age

Phineas Major 37 Boarder

Charlotte A Nelson 14

Fanny Nelson 11

George Nelson 4

Mary Nelson 34

Sarah J Nelson 9

Walter Nelson 38

Walter Nelson 5

Does this confuse the issue?

Duffems

Source Citation: Class: RG13; Piece: 4385; Folio: 5; Page: 1.

:

The George William Nelson who lived at Upper St Phillips's Road (mentioned by Hillsbro)could be a reasonable bet, for it is possible to imagine that in later years he may have worked at somewhere like Osborns (just down the hill) and linked in with someone from the Macro Street area (a number of the people at 78 in later years worked at O's) --hence a possible tie in that led to him staying at 78 M Street. But it is only a possibility and could be wrong, for it is relevent to note that he was later referred to only as George.

The George Walter Nelson mentioned by Duffems is also possible, for we know that Beatrice's son was called Walter (and usually names were passed on), but until there is some way we can narrow it down further I suppose we can only leave the verdict "open".

Redfyre,

Do you know where Shirland Lane was/is?

Duffems

Shirland Lane is off Attercliffe Road --it ran from there to Balfour Road when I was a lad, but I haven't explored that area for many a long day. If I remember, Shirland Lane started just opposite Baker Street at the Banners end of A Rd. It might be still there, at least in part, for it was quite a long road, and though much has changed in that area some old street still survive. Does this help?

Just that the address on the 1901 census for the Walter in my last post was living at that address. As I'm not familiar with the area at all I just wondered if it was in the vicinity of the area of the other Nelsons.

Duffems

Shirland Lane is in the Attercliffe/Darnall area, while St Phillip's Road was off Infirmary Road and ran all the way up to the juntion at the bottom of Western Bank. It is not impossible that George Walter Nelson from Shirland Lane is the one who went to Macro Street in later years, but if I were to put money on it I would lean towards the George William Nelson from St Phillip's Road. But we have to accept that they could both be the wrong man. Ah, well...!