Pub on macro st 1800s

I am just an interested interlooper in this topic...

Aren't we all?! For my part, I had never heard of Macro Street until I saw this thread, but once I get the bit between my teeth...

As for George Easy, he must have died after 1940, but I can tell you he was not around in 1950.

I just looked at deaths from 1940 to 1950 and found a George W. Easy who died in Sheffield, aged 52, in April-June 1942 (Vol. 9c, Page 487). The problem here is his age - it had previously been established that a George William Easy was born in Sheffield in Jan-Mar. 1886 - which would make him 56 in 1942. A check of the GRO birth indexes from 1886 to 1892 confirmed that no other George Easy was born locally in this period (it would seem that a George William Easy born in Chelsea in 1887 can be eliminated). So I imagine that this is a mistake in the death entry, and that the 1942 death record is that of the George William Easy who was born in Sheffield in 1886. It is not unusual to find errors in the ages given on death certificates - I know of at least three such cases in my own family history.

I tend to agree with Redfyre and DUFFEMS that certificates might now fill in the details, as we may have got as far as we can expect to get using inspired guesswork and the GRO indexes.

hi everyone,

just been catching up with this thread,the birthdates you have mean nothing to me.

my mother's birthday was Feb 7th and was born 1923.(Gertrude Nelson) My uncle Walter Nelson was born 11th Feb 1927.I have seen the marriage lines that verify this date, and my aunt jean was born around december, but i am struggling to find any of her offsprings

According to the marriage lines of my aunt and uncle Walts father was called GEORGE NELSON his occupation is down as being a BLACKSMITHS STRIKER, and thats all i know but i will try and get my mothers birth cert in the near future.

thank you all for your help I thought it would be so straight forward, but there are so many twists and turns, I start thinking that it makes sense and then i'm dealt with some thing else that doesn't make sense.

Don't worry, Chunkyfunky, everyone is very understanding of the complications of your search, and some of us are quite intrigued by the mystery of the George Easy/George Nelson link. No doubt one of these days it will all add up.

Ironically, a few years ago I met a man called Brookes, who was related to one of your grandmother's brothers, and I know he lived somewhere in the Greenhill area. He was about 80 years old, and he had childhood memories of visiting 78 Macro Street. He gave me the impression that he knew both George Nelson and George Easy. Sadly, I did not take a note of this man's address, and, anyway, there is a possibility that he is no longer around anyway.

It might be worth getting a birth certificate for your mother to confirm she was definitely named Nelson.

Does your grandmother have a gravestone?

Hi Redfyre,

yes i believe she does, i remember as a child my gran said to mam that if she had money to spare after gran died don't waste it on flowers put it on our feet( my brothers and myself) instead.

I will continue to search into this. B/C in the near future and hopefully have an answer to my questions

It has now been suggested by one researcher that documents show that all Beatrice's children were named Easy at the time of their births, which would indicate that as the youngest of Beatrice's children (Jean) was born in the last quarter of 1930

These are the entries in the GRO Birth index:

MAR Qtr 1925 EASY Gertrude (BROOKS) Sheffield 9c 994

MAR Qtr 1925 NELSON Gertrude (BROOKS) Sheffield 9c 994

MAR Qtr 1927 EASY Walter (BROOKS) Sheffield 9c 977

MAR Qtr 1927 NELSON Walter (BROOKS) Sheffield 9c 977

DEC Qtr 1930 EASY Jean (BROOKS) Sheffield 9c 805

DEC Qtr 1930 NELSON Jean (BROOKS) Sheffield 9c 805

It would be interesting to know what the wording is on one of these birth certificates which leads to these double entries.

I can't think of any explanation other than that these three are the children of George NELSON born while Beatrice was still married to George EASY. I haven't seen this sort of double entry so early. It is quite common in more recent times when people are less reticent about complicated relationships and family histories.

The last of these entries is not in the FreeBMD database yet, which indicates that, in theory, there could be more children (though no other children are known to have survived to adulthood).

Chunkyfunky,

As you can see, the dates are *Quarters*, with DEC quarter including October, November and December - so the date given for Walter's birth is consistent with your knowledge.

The quarter for your mother's birth also fits, although the year is more of a problem. Do you mind me asking what your mother's married name was?

Hugh

Good thinking, HughW. I just looked at the marriage index from 1942 onwards, in case Beatrice married George Nelson after George Easy had died in 1942 (as I presume), but after checking the 15 years up to 1957 I found no mention of a Beatrice Easy, and no-one with the surname Easy marrying in Sheffield.

As Redfyre wrote (post #36) "I think one way of throwing some light on this mystery is to look at Beatrice's death certificate. Was she, as we think, Beatrice Easy. If so, it could suggest she was married to him ever since 1907"

The key to this is Beatrice's death entry/certificate, which would confirm her surname when she died. So far, the only marriage entry we have found for Beatrice was that to George Easy in 1907. Chunkyfunky - do you know roughly when your grandmother died?

hello hillsbro and Hugh.

My gran died when i was about 11 yrs old, she was around 87 when she died i think, i went to burngreave school then so that would make it 1956/7.they were clearing houses from round there then, slum clearence they said. my gran bought a house on monmouth st and we had the one she bought on fox st until that was compulsory puchased.

hughw my mothers married name was buckley,her husband was called ronald, he came off woodside lane, they got divorced when i was young, they both remarried.my mother then became nichols,married to him forever he was a lovely dad.5 yrs or so after he died mam met and married a man called fred godhard and 23 months after that she died.

Uncle walt died 2nd december 1991, Aunt Jean died 17th March 1992, and my mom died on the 11th April 1992, a complete family gone in the space of 4 months and are still missed.

Hi chunkyfunky - I was a little puzzled by your grandmother's age being "around 87" when she died, as from the births index we know that Beatrice was born in the third quarter of 1889 (and this is confirmed by the 1901 census which gives her age as 11) and so if she died in 1956-7 she would have been much younger than this. However I think I have found the death entry in the index. A Beatrice Easy died in Sheffield in July-Sept. 1959, aged 70 (Vol. 2d, Page 164).

So it seems that Beatrice remained married to George Easy from 1907 until she was widowed in 1942 (as it seems from the death record of a George W. Easy in Sheffield in that year) and did not remarry. As she was not legally married to George Nelson, this would explain the double birth entries of the children, as HughW surmised.

The death certificate would give the place of death, marital status etc. and could be worth applying for (at the register office - back of the town hall - or on-line via the G.R.O. website).

ChunkyFunky,

Thanks for explaining your mothers' names. It must have been a difficult time losing three important people in your life in such a short space of time.

Those events were actually a year earlier than the dates you have listed. Walter's death was registered in December 1990 and your mother's in April 1991.

By that time the death register includes the date of birth. Gertrude's date of birth is listed as 7 Feb 1925, which agrees with the entry in the birth index I found earlier.

The next step would be to search for information about George NELSON. Do we know anything about when or where he was born or when he died? Do you know where Beatrice might be buried? Perhaps she is buried with him.

Hugh

Hi Hugh,

I dont know anything about George Nelson, where or when he was born even.

My grandmother is burried at City Rd cemetry but i do not know with whom she is buried along side. I had 1 sister and 2 brothers who died 2 before i was born and 1 after and i asume they are at City Rd, maybe in the same grave but dont know for sure.

I had a look in some electoral registers. I am guessing that the unfamiliar names in these lists may be lodgers/boarders.

78 Macro Street

BROOKES Tamer

BROOKES Charles Harry

BROOKES George

CLOVER John

NELSON George

STOCKS Hedley

1929/30

78 Macro Street

BROOKES George

BROOKES Tamer

BROOKES Gertrude

EASY Beatrice

NELSON George

WHITE Ann

WHITE Charles

1933/4

78 Macro Street

NELSON George

EASY Beatrice

RINGROSE George

RINGROSE Ethel

UPTON John William

UPTON Sarah Jane

HALLAM Waller

1939/40

78 Macro Street

NELSON George

EASY Beatrice

UPTON John William

UPTON Sarah Jane

TIVEY Harry

HALLAM Walter

BLANCHARD James

BLANCHARD Marjorie

HILL George William

MUFF Albert Major

MUFF Lydia

1945 (October)

78 Macro Street

EASY Beatrice

NELSON Walter

HAWKHEAD Thomas L

UPTON Jane S

HALLAM Walter

BUCKLEY Ronald

CHAFER Frances

PEMBERTON James A

TIVEY Harry

Thoughts -

George NELSON disappeares from this address between 1939/40 and 1945 (he is not in the service register covering this address in 1945).

In 1924 George NELSON is with the BROOK(E)S family but without Beatrice, who would have been old enough to vote. Is George a lodger/boarder? Tamer is the head of household in 1924 and 1929/30 - she is the only member of the household with a local vote and also eligible for jury service.

Another time I will check 22 Fowler Street, where George Easy was discharged to after his war service. I can say that Kelly's 1922 Directory has Laurence EASY (George's brother) listed for that address.

Hugh