Pub on macro st 1800s

Chunkyfunky

I think you will find different spellings of names pretty common, even in the same family brothers & sisters spell their names differently.

One of our relations was called Askey but she always called herself Askew.

Even on the registers and certifictes she went by that name although her father and mother were Askey's.

It is a common practice for refugees, incomers, immigrants also to change their names by anglicising or shortening them or anglicise their names to be accepted into the communities they settle in.

Often dialect or foreign pronunciations also have an effect on spelling names.

Hope this helps.

Happy days! PopT

popt

instead of lookong for a george w nelson for me, would you see if you can find a john nelson marrying a beatrice brooks(es) for me. going round in circles here

PopT is quite right regarding surname variations. Using http://www.freebmd.org.uk there is no record of a Beatrice Brooks / Brookes marrying anyone with the surname Nelson. This covers most (but not quite all) marriage entries in PRO indexes up to 1929.

I was in Local Studies yesterday and looked up 78 Macro Street in a number of directories. In the 1919 and 1920 directories, Charles H. Brooks is listed as the occupant, and it is described as a beerhouse. However, in the 1931 and 1933 directories the head is described as George Nelson, though in the 1931 directory a Frank Hodgkinson, joiner, is mentioned. In both 1931 and 1933 there is no reference to 78 being a beerhouse, which is interesting. Did it revert to being an ordinary domestic dwelling as early as that? At least it proves that George Nelson was about in the 1930s, and he was probably there in the 1920s. Where this leaves George Easy is the mystery.

If anyone know which brewery ran the Wellington it might lead to some light being thrown on when the pub changed hands/relinquished its licence, etc.

Chunkfunky, I still think that the Easy/Nelson "mystery" will be partly solved once it can be established just when George Wm Easy and George Nelson died. I suspect that Easy may have died in the late 1920s, or possibly in the year 1930, anyway before or around the time that Beatrice's father Charles H Brooks died; while Nelson was (according to local directories) certainly around until about the mid-1930s, and latterly as the head of the 78 Macro Stree household. It has now been suggested by one researcher that documents show that all Beatrice's children were named Easy at the time of their births, which would indicate that as the youngest of Beatrice's children (Jean) was born in the last quarter of 1930, Easy did not die until mid-to-late 1930 at the earliest; and if she then married Nelson, it can only have been after 1930.

I think it had previously been believed that at least two of Beatrice's children had been named Nelson rather than Easy. Walter, the son, was, I feel sure, always known as Walter Nelson. I remember him driving a coal lorry in the early 1950s, and he and his wife Emily lived in the Park district.

There is a marriage registered:

Beatrice BROOKS to

Geoge William EASY

Sheffield, Sept.1907. 9c. 1055

There is a birth reistered:

George William EASY

Sheffield, J/F/M Qtr.1886. 9c. 509

Duffems

The children are registered:

Frank EASY Dec. 1913

Joan EASY Dec.1922

Gertrude EASY March 1925

Walter EASY March 1927

Jean EASY Dec. 1930

Duffems

Yes, sorry Duffems, I had the knowledge of George William Easy's birth in 1886 and marriage in 1907, but got into a bit of tangle trying to sort out the later stages of his life with Beatrice Brooks. In truth, it is George Nelson who is proving elusive, and I am just trying to help the grand-daughter of Beatrice Brooks to get an accurate picture.

Many thanks, Duffems. You are always on the ball!

I suspect that Easy may have died in the late 1920s, or possibly in the year 1930, anyway before or around the time that Beatrice's father Charles H Brooks died ... as the youngest of Beatrice's children (Jean) was born in the last quarter of 1930, Easy did not die until mid-to-late 1930 at the earliest; and if she then married Nelson, it can only have been after 1930.

Using http://www.findmypast.com I checked death records for 1925 to 1940 and found no George W. Easy. The only George Easy I could find who died in the Sheffield district was a George T. Easy who died aged 70 in the third quarter of 1925.

Using http://www.findmypast.com I checked death records for 1925 to 1940 and found no George W. Easy. The only George Easy I could find who died in the Sheffield district was a George T. Easy who died aged 70 in the third quarter of 1925.

Snap, tried Ancestry also, same result. Maybe a family member should buy a birth certificate of one of the children?

I think one way of throwing some light on this mystery is to look at Beatrice's death certificate. Was she, as we think, Beatrice Easy. If so, it could suggest she was married to him ever since 1907. As for George Easy, he must have died after 1940, but I can tell you he was not around in 1950 when I first knew the folks at 78 Macro Street --and neither was George Nelson.

I am just an interested interlooper in this topic, and I have to agree that Chunkyfunky might be best served to study a number of birth certificates.