Cheap ale wanted

correct. the number of snobs on this forum is amazing.

how do they explain the number of wetherspoons that are in the good beer guide? some of them are magificent. commericial rooms in bristol and knights templar in london for example, far, far better than pubs such as the dove and rainbow.

The post you are referring to wasn't criticising the pubs themselves. And to be honest, I think the post was solely there to enable the use of 'comedy' alternatives to Wetherspoons. Don't really think it has anything to do with snobbery, do you?

how do they explain the number of wetherspoons that are in the good beer guide? some of them are magificent. commericial rooms in bristol and knights templar in london for example, far, far better than pubs such as the dove and rainbow.

Snobbery? gee-ore wit dee.

Just as a basis of comparison, when living on t'other side of sheff, my local pub of choice was the Shiregreen hotel.

And yeah, I was referring mainly to the Ham-shankers Draft mainly, as I really wouldn't wanna be in there for a whole evenings suppin'.

I wouldn't describe any chain store or chain pub as "magnificent" as that'd be on a par with saying a particular subway store was "magnificent".

Yeah, it maybe marginally better than others branches, but it's still a chain / template / corporate outlet which will always lack charicter and individuality.

Well if you class wanting to go for a drink without being threatened or scared then yes- im a big snob!!!!

A good night out, we all have different tastes, but for a cheap pub with real ales . clean friendly. with no music fruit machines just atmosphere try the Sheaf view at heeley. a pint of real ale from £1.80, loads of eurp beers, 8 real ales.

no issue with the others as I stated...JUST ONE..hardly snobbery..personally I would rather pay £2.60 for a pint than 99 pence....for a start if its too cheap the temptation to drink more until your money runs out is too great for many.....hardly good for health, and the pub makes no profit on such cheap products anyway so whats the point.....

A good night out, we all have different tastes, but for a cheap pub with real ales . clean friendly. with no music fruit machines just atmosphere try the Sheaf view at heeley. a pint of real ale from £1.80, loads of eurp beers, 8 real ales.

£1.80? They've been ripping you off! I'm sure last time I was in there I got two pints for £3.30! Looks like they saw you coming...!

You should also try the Harlaquin on Nursery St. Decent pub decently priced beers and lager's.

A decent all round pub for decent people.!

jt

no issue with the others as I stated...JUST ONE..hardly snobbery..personally I would rather pay £2.60 for a pint than 99 pence....for a start if its too cheap the temptation to drink more until your money runs out is too great for many.....hardly good for health, and the pub makes no profit on such cheap products anyway so whats the point.....

i'd rather pay less than £2 for an interesting guest ale personally than a poor pint which is all i have ever had in the dove and rainbow (although not the york which is far better). i've never had a single problem in the bankers draft either, i agree with whoever said trouble tends to start because people look for it.

labelling the pub full of chavs etc is probably on par with saying the nelson is full of goths. ridiculous and childish.

i'd rather pay less than £2 for an interesting guest ale personally than a poor pint which is all i have ever had in the dove and rainbow (although not the york which is far better). i've never had a single problem in the bankers draft either, i agree with whoever said trouble tends to start because people look for it.

labelling the pub full of chavs etc is probably on par with saying the nelson is full of goths. ridiculous and childish.

The Dove is well known for its fine condition beers so please be more specific about which 'bad' pint(s) you refer to and I can investigate..... perhaps you had an 'end of the barel' pint, and maybe you took one back to the staff and had a replacement(?) in which case it would be logged....I should point out we won CAMRA pub of the month a year ago, and have a CASK MARQUE Award and are part of the LOCALE scheme for fine local ales. Hardly given to pubs who serve 'bad pints'. members of CAMRA regularly drink here and we are only complimented on our eclectic range of beers available no where else.....we sell more real ale than any other product here which is indicative for sure of the ongoing quality...

and I never said the pub in question was "full of chavs" as you wrongly put it, I indicated merely that there was a certain rogue element there at weekends.....you make sweeping statements which have no relation to my points at all and seem to want to blow them out of all proportion....

Edited by goldenfleece

The Dove is well known for its fine condition beers so please be more specific about which 'bad' pint(s) you refer to and I can investigate..... perhaps you had an 'end of the barel' pint, and maybe you took one back to the staff and had a replacement(?) in which case it would be logged....I should point out we won CAMRA pub of the month a year ago, and have a CASK MARQUE Award and are part of the LOCALE scheme for fine local ales. Hardly given to pubs who serve 'bad pints'. members of CAMRA regularly drink here and we are only complimented on our eclectic range of beers available no where else.....we sell more real ale than any other product here which is indicative for sure of the ongoing quality...

and I never said the pub in question was "full of chavs" as you wrongly put it, I indicated merely that there was a certain rogue element there at weekends.....you make sweeping statements which have no relation to my points at all and seem to want to blow them out of all proportion....

i've been in 3 times and the beer has been poor. twice i sampled one of the guests and the 3rd time it was hobgobin - i am one of hobgoblins biggest fans but i was left disappointed, especially at the price. i will give it one more chance (i was going to go in a few weeks ago but the selection was disappointing so went to bankers instead)

i never said YOU said it was full of chavs.

Well I was in there tonight and had a very nice pint of Hobgoblin. I didn't think £2.80 (?) was a bad price really.

i've been in 3 times and the beer has been poor. twice i sampled one of the guests and the 3rd time it was hobgobin - i am one of hobgoblins biggest fans but i was left disappointed, especially at the price. i will give it one more chance (i was going to go in a few weeks ago but the selection was disappointing so went to bankers instead)

i never said YOU said it was full of chavs.

You really should bring this to the attention of the staff if you are not happy with the beer.....we will always try and keep anyone happy, and you just may have been unlucky with end of barrel pints.......