Century Motors

All hail Century Motors!

They sold me my first car in April 1999. A J Reg Rover 214!

The next month I drove with two mates to Barcelona for the Champions League Final in it.

And it lasted another 6 years before retiring gracefully..........

Bought my car from Century Motors about 15 months ago & not had a thing go wrong since. Had it MOT'd this year at a different garage & it sailed through with no problems. The guy I dealt with at Century was extremely helpful & moved about half a dozen cars out of the way for me to take a test drive, without any deposit.

Unfortunately there always seems to be a bit of a risk with small independent dealers. For everyone of us that's had a good experience there's always someone that wouldn't go anywhere near them again.

Can't believe anybody can slate century motors, i've been dealing with them for years, both buying cars and having them mot'd and serviced there, i even knew the old man that owned it before his son took over the raines and ownes it now! two sides to every story!! been trading there a lot of years, must be doing something right, keep it goig lads.

Some bargain cars to be had at Manheim Auctions Leeds,

Like cut out the middle man and save yaself a grand....

Chief.

Some bargain cars to be had at Manheim Auctions Leeds,

Like cut out the middle man and save yaself a grand....

Chief.

Yeah, and I could go and get my milk directly from the cow, but it wouldn't be pasturised, ready and safe to drink.

Now we know you're happier with Manheim, we don't need to keep slating other companies then presumably.

I'm currently trying to save up to upgrade my car - after getting my current one from Century - I'll be going back there when I have saved up enough to upgrade. I was totally happy with them, their service, the quality of their cars, they made me feel comfortable... need I go on, so I'll be keeping my custom there. :thumbsup:

Yeah, and I could go and get my milk directly from the cow, but it wouldn't be pasturised, ready and safe to drink.

Now we know you're happier with Manheim, we don't need to keep slating other companies then presumably.

I'm currently trying to save up to upgrade my car - after getting my current one from Century - I'll be going back there when I have saved up enough to upgrade. I was totally happy with them, their service, the quality of their cars, they made me feel comfortable... need I go on, so I'll be keeping my custom there. :thumbsup:

Apparently Greentop`s gaining popularity :hihi:

Yes that's pretty much how it works and believe me if Lukeowl thinks a main dealer is better (lol) more fool him, they in my experience of working at both Main/Independent cut corners much more because the sales men are on tough targets for a big company rather then a smaller company PLUS enjoy paying 1500-2500 more for the same thing!

Good luck.

bought a few cars in my time and I try to judge the car on its merits then the dealership on whether I trust them to prep it or fix it properly

Mostly the main dealer cars seem to be better quality and prepped so thats were I used to start. But at the end of the day you want a decent car for the money and some peace of mind that the dealer will care/help if things do go wrong - cars are complicated and do go wrong sometimes, but dealers seem to either be trustworthy/ok or scallies - and I dont think how long they have been in business really means anything

My last two cars came from independents - a few month old Celica from Direct Cars, WAY cheaper than main dealers but got royally ripped of by main agent on service/repairs. The Nissan Elgrand had to be from a well established grey importer, ok car for the money (it was one of their cheapest ones but I knew what I was getting, so went in eyes open) real let down when things went wrong

If I could find a really good independent dealer I would keep going back for sure

Another thing I have experienced is main dealer service and repairs that has been shoddy, shoddy, shoddy from ALL the ones I have used - found an excellent independent for service and would not change. He has been in trade over 30 years but only set up on his own 2 years ago

I went there once, I asked to see Guy, the owner and the monkey in the boiler suit asked " what you want him for" and then followed me in to where he the owner was. After listening to him talk a load of crap for ten minutes. I left. Thought he was definitely dodgy and havent't heard anything to make me change my mind on that one since. Now I deal with Sytner. There is no doubt here. They do rob you, they are dodgy. But the girls on the front desk are nice!!:hihi:

we bought a car from them too a few years ago and its been a great car with no probs but we did find them a little unhelpful in they werent pushy at all and had to drag info out of them.

Hi there,

Has anyone here bought or attempted to buy a car from Century Motors next to the Netto on Catch Bar lane?

We are very interested in a car there at the moment and after convincing ourselves that everything about the car looks perfect, we asked about a test drive, only to be told that for a test drive we need to put a deposit of 10% of the car's price down. We've also been told that to test drive the car, they need to shuffle the cars in the parking area around for us to get out, so if we're not *really* interested, we shouldn't bother.

It felt like we were deterred from taking the test drive. We were basically 99% sure we wanted the car, but after this incident, we will probably take our business elsewhere where it's wanted.

if they cant treat you right with curtesy before you even buy a car then why would you wanna buy from them anyway?never heard about having to pay to test drive,i took a car for test drive recently and dealer put plates on and let me and family take it by ourselves.If they want a sale then they need to go out thier way to impress you,i would walk away never mind you want that car get one from somewhere else.

So this thread on established 50yrs "Half a Century Motors " throws up allsorts of images.

Some people wouldn`t go there if they were givin`em away,

Others can`t wait to dispose of their hard earned asap -as soon as the`ve got it,

Several have encountered the afore mentioned smug approach as though they have what you want but you can`t reaallly have it. Pheww... I don`t know the best reccomendation apart from if you want a car:-

1) Take a crane to extract it from it`s immovable position.

2)Take a spare salesman/secretary to run the place whilst out on your test thrash.

3)Don`t even attempt to go anywhere near the place if of a sensitive nature.

4)Try and borrow a skin off a crocodile

5)Have a few pints in The Dev instead.

6)For Sid James only:- stick with the Chariot.

Look on here when I'm ready to buy.....when I pass that is...??