Century Motors

Hi there,

Has anyone here bought or attempted to buy a car from Century Motors next to the Netto on Catch Bar lane?

We are very interested in a car there at the moment and after convincing ourselves that everything about the car looks perfect, we asked about a test drive, only to be told that for a test drive we need to put a deposit of 10% of the car's price down. We've also been told that to test drive the car, they need to shuffle the cars in the parking area around for us to get out, so if we're not *really* interested, we shouldn't bother.

It felt like we were deterred from taking the test drive. We were basically 99% sure we wanted the car, but after this incident, we will probably take our business elsewhere where it's wanted.

We also enquired about a comment left in the service history book about the tyres that will need changing sometime soon, only to be told in a annoyed manner that there is nothing wrong with the tyres.

I am really angry about this incident and pretty miffed, cause I wanted that car.

The Father-in-law bought his car from there, after his old one floated away in the floods, he's had nothing but trouble with it! It's broken down on many occasions, he's spent atleast £900 fixing the car in various different places. He's said he will never buy from there again. At the moment, he cannot afford to buy another so is sticking with the banger. Maybe somebody with a good view on the place could shed some light?

I think you have answered your own question really. If you can't test drive it walk away, if they don't treat you well walk away, if anything is worrying you walk away.

Loads of car dealers would love you to buy from them at the moment, give your money to someone who deserves the custon in these dark times.

Just buy the same car from elsewhere,most dealers are breaking their necks to make a sale at the moment,so if they can't be bothered to give you any service just look elsewhere.You never know you might get a better deal as well.

whole sounds a bit fishy

i cant believe they are not doing everything possible to try and get a sale in these times!

take your hard earned money to someone else that gives a hoot about their customers

Yeah I'd just walk away and buy from someone who wants your business, especially under the current climate. I remember the last used car I bought (for one of my daughters), the guy let us take it out for a test drive on our own, couldn't have been more helpful.

Some of the cars in the Website look really good, they had a good Merc, and also a good looking Vectra that both got sold before I got chance to look.

If you want a good 2nd hand car I would recommend

http://www.fulwoodmotorcompany.com

NOt the cheapest cars, but all come with low mileage and FSH.

I too am looking at buying a car, and posted a thread a bit back about car deals/whats being done to boost sales, and no one really knew.

I'm tempted to wait another 9-12 months, and wait untill the main dealers are pooing their pants, and wait till the prices come down. For example, all those unsold cars in the airfields have got to be coming onto the market at knockdown prices soon. Toyota have brought in a new Avensis, however there are loads of 58 old shape models stuck on airfields with no buyers.

Could be worth waiting a few more months

Depends on ur budget, but I highly reccommend availablecar.com

It doesn't matter how great the car is, if they are being awkward - screw em.

This Guy is too smug and pretentious and doesn`t need the money as he`s loaed -from his family anyway- reckons he`s selling up to Netto for millions. Don`t give em your custom, buy elsewhere, deal with someone who`s more grateful and appreciative.

Well, I bought my car from there a year and three months ago. Nothing has gone wrong with it, it's in the same condition now as it was when i got it, the guys i got it from were really nice and helpful, i didn't have insurance at the time so the chap drove the car for me for a few miles so i could hear/feel it etc, i thought they were ace. In fact, I've had many experiences with used car salespeople etc, and this was just second to none. I had none of the bullsh*t stories that you normally get, nothing. Just second to none service which i don't think for a second i'll get again, anywhere.

This Guy is too smug and pretentious and doesn`t need the money as he`s loaed -from his family anyway- reckons he`s selling up to Netto for millions. Don`t give em your custom, buy elsewhere, deal with someone who`s more grateful and appreciative.

What like you?? Hmm, you're not a competitor are you?:hihi:

It all depends though, i mean if you say i'll buy or deal subject to test drive been okay then no problem but if you want a test drive but still have to think about it then tbf it's just wasting his time and if everyone did it he'd be out of time and money.

"Subject to test drive" is what's needed, if you are unable to commit then it's a case of come back when ready - having worked in the motor trade myself i know where he's coming from.

Also another poster said his father has had nothing but trouble with the car he bought from them - "one swallow doesn't make a summer" - however that could happen anywhere on any car, i know a woman who bought a C3 from Vardys (a main dealer) she did 3k in it had it from new then BANG! -it went in for 9 months, she's in the process of getting her money back so make your own mind up, from my experience Century have been trading for years (a good sign) and the stock they sell have always been nice.