Memories of Rutland Road/Square at Neepsend

Guest Ant

Did anyone on here live on Rutland Road/Square or have relatives who lived in that area? My great granny ran the sweet shop on Rutland Road before it got too much for her & they converted it to a normal house.

Originally posted by Ant

Did anyone on here live on Rutland Road/Square or have relatives who lived in that area? My great granny ran the sweet shop on Rutland Road before it got too much for her & they converted it to a normal house.

Is that the place you said was haunted?

Guest Ant

No, that was the guards' room and a bedroom at the gatekeepers house where my grandparents lived at the Stones garage on Burton Road: here

The house is behind the car, and the guards' room door can be seen to the right of the steering wheel.

My aunt and Uncle (Bownes) had a grocers shop on Rutland Road in the 50's and 60's. Sugar was sold in blue bags,and butter was in big blocks which were cut to whatever weight you wanted.

My pal lived in Rutland Sq 1938 His name was Gardener He hada sister Can't remember her name His name was Lol Aged about 18 then Went inthe R A F in 1940 We went everywhere on pushbikes Great days Happy memories

Guest Ant

I'll mention the names to my Mother - I'm sure she'll know of the Bownes name, she often talked about the shop.

I have a hand-drawn map my Mother made of the square when she lived there, but there's no Gardener mentioned. He'll have known my grandad, Fred Deakin. Or possibly my Grandmother's family - The Burns. Or less likely, my Dad - William Atkin.

I remember Susan Dawes and Susan Thomas who lived somewhere around Rutland Road and my dad used to work at the brickyard as a joiner on Rutland Road.

Guest Ant

Ah, we have a match!

My Mother has labelled the house at the junction of Rutland Road and Rutland Street "Dawes".

My Mum's family lived just around the corner - Maureen, Shirley and Margaret Deakin. I would have thought Susan Dawes went to the same school.

My maiden name was Morris I lived in no 12 Rutland square , left in 1966 when they moved everyone out to demolish homes. 

I had 2 older brothers. I remember the alenders who lived in the other yard. 

Also Mr and Mrs noble. 

Grandma wasden lived at the top of our yard.

Edited by Wendy rooms nee
Include maiden name

We lived with my late husbands parents at No. 68 Rutland Rd  in the fifties when we first  got married. Just a few doors up from Joe Bownes shop I think that man sold everything you could imagine, as well as food and sweets, saucepans ,washing lines all hung on hooks, a proper" Arkwright" shop 

16 hours ago, kay1 said:

We lived with my late husbands parents at No. 68 Rutland Rd  in the fifties when we first  got married. Just a few doors up from Joe Bownes shop I think that man sold everything you could imagine, as well as food and sweets, saucepans ,washing lines all hung on hooks, a proper" Arkwright" shop 

Bownes also had a shop at Parkwood Springs, here's his shop on Rutland,

http://www.picturesheffield.com/frontend.php?keywords=Ref_No_increment;EQUALS;s19154&pos=90&action=zoom&id=21707