What would you have done if you saw an attack happening?

I read a article in the star today and it reminded me of something that happened a couple of years back. I was walking up fargate about 2am ish and there was this man kicking 7 bells out of this woman by a phone box. She had blood on her face and I was about to go over to stop him when my mate pulled me away and we carried on. Just up the road was a couple of men and I told them what was happening and they ran down to stop him. I've always wondered what happened after that, and I feel guilty I didn't do anything personally.

What would you have done?

I read a article in the star today and it reminded me of something that happened a couple of years back. I was walking up fargate about 2am ish and there was this man kicking 7 bells out of this woman by a phone box. She had blood on her face and I was about to go over to stop him when my mate pulled me away and we carried on. Just up the road was a couple of men and I told them what was happening and they ran down to stop him. I've always wondered what happened after that, and I feel guilty I didn't do anything personally.

What would you have done?

i think its 1 of them things where sometimes your damned if you do & damned if you dont

I would have 100% stopped and offered my assistance to the woman. I have done this when a guy was getting beaten (almost to death he was on ICU for 2 weeks) I had to give him mouth to mouth and wait for the ambulance police to come. The "perp" pleaded guilty so I didn't have to face court.

I understand you may have been aprehensive to help but I'm sure you'd like to think someone would help you if it was happening to you.

I would have gone to help the woman. Its a poor excuse for a man that beats a woman, these people are scum and I would have taken great pleasure in dealing out the same punishment to him as he was giving the woman

I would have called the police if you thought it was too dangerous to intervene.

I did want to help but I was only about 16-17 at the time and didn't feel I could take on a fully grown man!! One of the blokes who went to help, his friend phoned the police so I hope it got sorted out pretty quickly, was scary though it was liike this bloke didn't care anyone could see him, he was giving her a right going oer

Phoned the police, nothing more, nothing less. I wouldnt go and help for many reasons.

I don't know the circumstances, she may have deserved it.

I don't know what weapons he may or may not be carrying.

Who's to know who else there is watching, he may have had friends somewhere in the area.

i would have helped...but i would have tried to intervene in a non threatening way...as said before by another poster, we all may need help some time

I did want to help but I was only about 16-17 at the time and didn't feel I could take on a fully grown man!!

I think you did right; no point having two beaten women instead of one!

I have intervened; I was younger and fitter then, and I reckoned I could handle whatever the "perp" handed out; at least keep him occupied while the police came. Fortunately, he was unwilling to continue when challenged by a man of his own size.

But unless you are sure you can cope, stay out of contact.

Furthermore, if you get involved in physical violence, you may have to be prepared to do serious damage to your opponent. Opposition may escalate their level of violence.

i think instinct takes over, it would depend on the situation.

I think you did right; no point having two beaten women instead of one!

I have intervened; I was younger and fitter then, and I reckoned I could handle whatever the "perp" handed out; at least keep him occupied while the police came. Fortunately, he was unwilling to continue when challenged by a man of his own size.

But unless you are sure you can cope, stay out of contact.

Furthermore, if you get involved in physical violence, you may have to be prepared to do serious damage to your opponent. Opposition may escalate their level of violence.

Can you handle getting stabbed in the chest? Because that is a risk. Not just from the man, but from the woman too.

You did the right thing, you never know whats going to happen next and what harm you could come to yourself, on top of that she wudda been forgiving him the next day anyway and you could have been injured in one of their many brawls.. I was once walking a night with a friend and we saw a young woman getting battered by another older woman, we ran over to help, the young woman scarpered leaving us to deal with a now crazey loon, she got in her car and drove it at my friend, sending her flying in the air and spending the night in A&E... The woman who did this had a young girl (her daughter) about 11 yrs old at the time, who explained it was all about heroin and that she had been in many of these situations before. I was gutted a few yrs later i saw the daughter twice in one week, the first time shoplifting from a post office and clearly a heroin addict herself, the second time i saw her was in town, standing on a corner waiting to get laid to pay for her fix.... thanks to her mummy.