Mould in my flat for over 2 years

It's stupid to do nothing about it yourself, as a landlord could take until doomsday to get it sorted. We have had a mould problem since the floods (we didn't get flooded but it turns out that horrific heavy rain damaged our pointing :o) and have had to pay for house repairs ourselves. In the meantime we've had to take measures to tackle it as if you don't, it only gets worse!

So, we've used mould spray, wiped down with milton, used damp traps, all that stuff. But really you have to face it, the very best way of dealing with it is to open your windows every day and turn the heating up. It costs a bomb but it dries the house out. :thumbsup:

You also need to strip any old wallpaper/tiles off to let the plaster dry out.

Easier said than done to fix it yourself. It really depends on how bad it is - if it's only a tiny bit then maybe but if its spread I'm guessing it would be worse than this. Besides if you pay your rent on time and your contract states they are to sort things like this then they shold do it - I don't think you should have to worry about sorting it yourself. Thats my opinion anyway I think you will just have to be really insistant until somthing gets done.

I doubt you could sue them for stress, I know quite a few people who have been in similar situations and I'm sure theres plenty more out there. But in the crazy world we live in where people seem to be sueing for the simplist thing you never know.

I doubt you could sue them for stress, I know quite a few people who have been in similar situations and I'm sure theres plenty more out there. But in the crazy world we live in where people seem to be sueing for the simplist thing you never know.

We can blame America for that.

Easier said than done to fix it yourself. It really depends on how bad it is - if it's only a tiny bit then maybe but if its spread I'm guessing it would be worse than this. Besides if you pay your rent on time and your contract states they are to sort things like this then they shold do it - I don't think you should have to worry about sorting it yourself. Thats my opinion anyway I think you will just have to be really insistant until somthing gets done.

It also depends on what is causing it. Mould can be caused by something as simple as condensation due to not ventilating - as several people have already mentioned. Opening windows and keeping heating on is the best way to stop it. Mopping up water around windows every day (old towels are great for this) and opening bathroom windows after every shower or bath helps as well.

I'm surprised if the housing association has taken responsibility for it that they haven't done anything in 2 years. However, when the OP moved in it took a year for mould to develop - that suggests there may not be a damp problem with the property, just condensation.

Years ago I dealt with council housing repairs and often got reports of houses being damp & mouldy. Occasionally there was something wrong with the gutters or pointing etc, but nearly every time it was condensation.

Have lived in my flat for 9 years, all that time have had damp at the bottom of the stairs (I live in a first floor flat with my own entrance, not shared). The area at the bottom of the stairs is concrete and is always damp. Council have been out and looked at it over the years and say its my dogs peeing at the bottom of the stairs not damp. Er, no it ain't my dogs are housetrained ta and pee smells amoniac not fusty.

because they said they would sort it and what if they was to refuse the bill!? i cant afford thousands of pounds for it to be sorted. im young and live alone what am i to do.

Open a window when you shower?then clean up all the excess moisture after:thumbsup:

im trying to get compensation for loss of belongings which already totals upto £2,500

What do you keep in a damp bathroom that cost that amount?

im trying to get compensation for loss of belongings which already totals upto £2,500

What do you keep in a damp bathroom that cost that amount?

The OP said the damp had spread to the bedroom and the living room...I'm sure there's plenty of things in those two rooms that would add up to a fair bit of money.

To the OP, if the situation is really that bad and your housing association hasn't resolved the problem you need to get up on your high horse a bit. Don't be content with inspectors etc. Speak to someone in charge (not a manager, a director), write a formal letter of complaint, get a letter from your doctor, seek advice through the CAB, completely get on their case. Threaten to go to The Star (this usually gets something done and the star is always willing to run stories on bad things about housing). In my experience the housing association will do anything to prevent bad press. Become a screamer, someone they 'need to go away' and the only way that will happen is if they sort it.

I'm not sure the housing association will compensate you for loss of goods. They may ask you to claim on your house contents insurance (assuming you have this), but if the damage is caused by their negligence, then you probably have a case.

it is an issue for your insurance company, if you have one get them to contact the housing association

Did they confirm that the mould problem is a result of something actually being wrong with the property? As others have said, a lot of the time mould is caused by a build up of moisture due to lack of ventilation, so when it's cold outside and you have the heating on moisture will build up. Even in winter the best way to avoid mould building up is to open the windows a crack, (and wipe them down if need be) especially after a shower or when cooking. I appreciate it's cold and you won't really want to be doing this, i live in a property with wooden framed single glazed windows meaning we need to have them open quite a bit in order to prevent mould.

all that isnt from my bathroom its from my bedroom and livingroom that it has spread too! its destroyed 3 carpets wardrobes curtains etc. my housing assosciation should have sorted it 2 years ago!