Earth hour!

If everyones sitting in the dark for an hour, do you think we will have an increase in birth rates in 9 months time???????
Depends what they're sitting on.

Depends what they're sitting on.

:hihi::hihi::hihi:

The reason Governments are promoting "green" issues is because they are making an absolute fortune out of them. Tax this to save the planet tax that etc etc.

Putting a picture of a polar bear balancing on a flimsy peace of melting ice in the paper every now and then does not convince me in the slightest.

If I begin to see some real investment in things like alternative fuel types for cars then I might be a little more interested, I would gladly use the train for nationwide travel but the costs are prohibitively expensive, if this is such a massive life threatening issue then why is this so.

In the 70's "scientists" were telling us we would have a return to the ice age!!!!!

In the 80's we were all going to succumb to AIDS.

My lights will be staying firmly ON this evening.

no its not sarcasm! i believe in global warming and you should as it is a fact of life!

watch this

So, lots of people turned out their lights and lit candles.

Didn't someone say that lighting fires adds to global warming?

I do not dispute that average temperatures appear to have risen over the last few decades. What I dispute is the reasons for this.

I seem to recall seeing programs on the discovery channel where scientists state that there have been periods in the Earth's history where the average temp was significantly higher than it is now as well as other periods where it has been significantly lower.

These appear to be 'fact' - yet the reasons are merely conjecture and opinion. No group of scientists or researchers can agree 100% that the reason for the increase in average temp is down to this one thing or that one thing - they say it could be down to this or that or a combination of this or that.

And the gullible quote the mantra 'global warming is a fact' like it means something and answers all the questions.

It does not.

'Global warming' is NOT a fact - it is a supposition or an opinion or an assumption or just a headline.

2 plus 2 equals 4 is a fact. Water freezes a zero degrees is a fact.

:rolleyes: My lights will be switched off for the hour we lose tonight.

Lets hope power spikes resulting from this silly gesture will not mean yet more appliances going to landfill sites - green indeed! I wonder why I hate the colour green nowadays?:P

I find this thread quite heartening. The number of rational folk standing up to the global warming myth is encouraging.

The reason Governments are promoting "green" issues is because they are making an absolute fortune out of them. Tax this to save the planet tax that etc etc.

[snip]

In the 70's "scientists" were telling us we would have a return to the ice age!!!!!

In the 80's we were all going to succumb to AIDS.

My lights will be staying firmly ON this evening.

Top post, Top

'Global warming' is NOT a fact - it is a supposition or an opinion or an assumption or just a headline.

The figures I have read suggest that far from warming, the planet will cool significantly over the next decade. Not quite a return to the temperatures of the maunder minimum but not far from it. The lack of sun spot activity has, in the past, always heralded a cold spell. Shares in Damart, and a spit to roast an Ox on the Rivelin, may be the way to go.

Guest sibon

2 plus 2 equals 4 is a fact.

Only in base 10. 2 plus 2 equals 11 in base 3.

Water freezes a zero degrees is a fact.

Only on the celcius scale. It freezes at 32 degrees fahrenheit, or 273.15 kelvin.

Tricky things these "facts".

So, lots of people turned out their lights and lit candles.

Didn't someone say that lighting fires adds to global warming?

I do not dispute that average temperatures appear to have risen over the last few decades. What I dispute is the reasons for this.

I seem to recall seeing programs on the discovery channel where scientists state that there have been periods in the Earth's history where the average temp was significantly higher than it is now as well as other periods where it has been significantly lower.

These appear to be 'fact' - yet the reasons are merely conjecture and opinion. No group of scientists or researchers can agree 100% that the reason for the increase in average temp is down to this one thing or that one thing - they say it could be down to this or that or a combination of this or that.

And the gullible quote the mantra 'global warming is a fact' like it means something and answers all the questions.

It does not.

Agree 100%! And seeing as people are encouraged to blog about the experience and provide video clips (according to the bbc article anyway), wouldn't that also add to the (so called) global warming?

It does not.

That I am sick to the back teeth of being told what to do/think/eat/drink/smoke by our government, bleeding-heart hand-wringing do-gooders and people like Bono & Paul McCartney is 100% fact.

That I am sick to the back teeth of being told what to do/think/eat/drink/smoke by our government, bleeding-heart hand-wringing do-gooders and people like Bono & Paul McCartney is 100% fact.

perfectly put mate -i dont re-cycle ,i drive a 4x4 and i dont believe all this glabal warming hype.

:rolleyes: My lights will be switched off for the hour we lose tonight.

Lets hope power spikes resulting from this silly gesture will not mean yet more appliances going to landfill sites - green indeed! I wonder why I hate the colour green nowadays?:P

:hihi:

The lost hour will be equivalent to turning everything off everywhere in the UK.

It seems like the farmers are light years ahead of us. Or at least a light hour.

of course there is global warming you silly goons!!! dont you watch the news and read the news paper, its all been proven that the ice is melting because of global warming!! like it or lump it cause its a fact!

If you believe all you see on the T.V. and read in the newspapers do you think anyone is going to take any notice of what you think or write on here.Just because you are s**t scared of something no one on earth can do anything about.This is another of earths cycles that have been happening since the earth began.In my opinion.