Earth hour!

I have spent a while reading this thread listening to the radio with a lgiht on. I imagine other people willl too and watch the video. We will be using a massive amount of power compared to that which would be saved from turning of a light for 1 hour, just by reading of it.

Its counterproducive.

A typical light bulb on for an hour is equivalent to running a car engine for about a third of a second. If you drive then turn your engine off sooner than you would do normally. Park a metre further away from work (if less time consuming)

You haven't really understood this. The hour is a symbolic gesture being carried out in 88 countries across the world to show concern about climate change and man's contribution to it.

As to whether CO2 emissions are the cause, the huge majority of scientists studying this think that they are. I would rather listen to them than people (male drivers, usually) spouting off on the interweb after they've read a couple of emails on the subject.

How easy it is to be cynical and do nothing (I know because I can do it as well).Full marks to the organisers of this event for caring enough to do it.

Guest sibon
You haven't really understood this. The hour is a symbolic gesture

I think that most people have understood this. The point is that symbolic gestures get you nowhere. I'm quite prepared to accept that we need to do something to change the way we live, even though the scientific evidence for CO2 causing global warming is far from complete. The question is, what do we do? I'd suggest that developing carbon neutral methods of transport and electricity generation are the answer, not sitting in the dark for an hour on Saturday night.

Earth hour...nice idea, I'll be watching it all on my big flat Plasma TV screen :D

My office is taking part, we've had self congratulatory emails and messages all week...a bit of an empty and worthless gesture seeing as the office would be empty at the time. If they wanted to try and make an impact they should have done it midweek

It would appear, however, that Parliament isn't.

My lights will be off between 02.00GMT and 03.00BST.

Not entirely sure of the overall benefits of this, but it looks like something fun to do. I've signed up for it. We'll be turning our lights off. Now...what to do in the dark for an hour with just me and the OH sat about...hmmm

We celebrated it by Australian Time, i.e. 10 hours before you; I even turned ALL power off to the computer wall!

Daughter rang, from another time zone, so we talked to her for an hour.

BTW, don't candles generate more greenhouse gases than electric light?

If enough people did this then I imagine it would look quite interesting from space, given that normally most of the western world is blazing with lights. I might take part for that reason alone, even though I think it's an interesting idea for a public gesture anyway.

Though we often turn all our lights off anyway to conserve my hoarded stocks of 100w bulbs :P

I'm not going to be in - so will switch off everything before I leave. Except for the fridge.

You haven't really understood this. The hour is a symbolic gesture being carried out in 88 countries across the world to show concern about climate change and man's contribution to it.

As to whether CO2 emissions are the cause, the huge majority of scientists studying this think that they are. I would rather listen to them than people (male drivers, usually) spouting off on the interweb after they've read a couple of emails on the subject.

How easy it is to be cynical and do nothing (I know because I can do it as well).Full marks to the organisers of this event for caring enough to do it.

I do see where they're coming from, but I don't see how it will have any benefits.

I cycle, recycle, vote green party, charge things overnight when leccy is wasted/cheaper, try to re use things whenever possible etc.

If people did what I do.....

Its a symbolic gesture that will ironically contribute to 'climate change'.

I'm against rape, but I wouldn't rape somebody as a symbolic gesture.

Now, if people who carry out this symbolic gesture, start to reduce what they use on a ruglar basis, rather than join in for novelty/fun. I will stand corrected.

im with spyro -if i turn the lights out i wont be able to see :rolleyes:

as i dont believe in global warming count me out .

I'm also out, but I'll switch off the TV for an hour at that time, looks like there's stuff all interesting on this evening anyway.:hihi:

If everyones sitting in the dark for an hour, do you think we will have an increase in birth rates in 9 months time???????

If everyones sitting in the dark for an hour, do you think we will have an increase in birth rates in 9 months time???????

+ An increase in attempted robberies.