Earth hour!

ON SATAURDAY 28TH MARCH ITS LIGHTS OUT FOR EARTH HOUR!

its only for an hour from 8:30 till 9:30 please sign up at earthhour.org/home/ or at hallamfm.co.uk please sign up and do it!

thanks to all that do.

Hi,

On Saturday, March 28, 2009, at 8:30 pm, I am taking part in Earth Hour - a global event in which millions of people will turn out their lights to make a statement of concern about our planet and climate change.

I want to invite you to join, too! Sponsored by World Wildlife Fund, Earth Hour got started just two years ago and is now the largest event of its kind in the world. Last year, more than 50 million participated and the lights went out at the Empire State Building, the Golden Gate Bridge, the Sydney Opera House and the Coliseum in Rome, just to name a few. Even Google's homepage went black for the day!

In Israel, President Shimon Peres personally turned off lights in Tel Aviv.

This year, Earth Hour will be even bigger - already 250 cities in 74 countries have agreed to take part including Atlanta, Chicago, Las Vegas, Los Angeles, Miami and Nashville with more signing up every day. Around the world, cities like Moscow, Hong Kong, Mumbai, Shanghai and Mexico City will turn out their lights.

But Earth Hour isn't just for big cities-anyone can participate. To get a better sense of the event, check out this video at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BjWD8pbK5t8.

Participating in Earth Hour is easy, fun and free. I hope you will join me for this amazing event.

To sign up, visit http://www.EarthHourUS.org where you'll learn more including ways you can spread the word about Earth Hour, plus creative things to do when the lights go out in case you need inspiration!

We want the US to turn out more lights than any other country in the world during this historic event so please pass this note along to anyone you think might want to take part. Let's all turn out and take action on March 28 at 8:30 pm.

http://www.EarthHourUS.org

Thanks.

Nah, it will be dark. I'll give it a miss.

im with spyro -if i turn the lights out i wont be able to see :rolleyes:

as i dont believe in global warming count me out .

Despite being at work, I shall turn all the lights out between 1am and 2am that night.

I don't actually get the idea of this event. It won't stop the release of any CO2, as power stations can't just stop producing power, and then start again an hour later. Since it takes time to adjust the power available compared to the amount required (you've all heard the stories about having extra generators come online for the advert break in corrie), the power generation companies will probably not alter their standing plans for the night, and instead shunt the unnessery power to the rest of the grid in the form of extra voltage.

you will be suprised at how much it will help the planet. when you turn on a lamp after just 5mins that bulb is hot! which is pumping heat into the atmosphere! so millions uniting together for 1 hour will really make that much difference!!!!

count me in anyway!

it is not so much about the energy saved that night....but looking at the bigger picture....it symbolises what must be done and makes people aware...the bigger picture! global warming is pretty much a fact...so everyone who doesn't believe in it, you don't have a choice, it is fact.

global warming is pretty much a fact...so everyone who doesn't believe in it, you don't have a choice, it is fact.

No it's not. Climate change (not global warming) is a fact, but the reasons for this are a matter for debate. It was going on long before all the car emissions and farting cows. There are arguments that it's caused by sunspots and not our wasteful lifestyles.

I probably won't be home for Earth hour so I'll close my eyes instead.

Global warming doesnt bloody exist!

The earth goes through a cycle

havent u seen day after tommorow? :hihi:

Count me in.:thumbsup:

Think it's a brilliant idea.

of course there is global warming you silly goons!!! dont you watch the news and read the news paper, its all been proven that the ice is melting because of global warming!! like it or lump it cause its a fact!

Yes, the planet is currently warmer than it was 100 years ago. This hasn't been proven to be caused by human (or bovine) activity, external conditions (sun spots / solar flares) or a natural cycle.

20 years ago the warming of the earth was the natural warming after the last ice age

10 years ago the warming was the hole in the ozone layer caused by CFCs

Wonder what the reason will be in 10 years?

you will be suprised at how much it will help the planet. when you turn on a lamp after just 5mins that bulb is hot! which is pumping heat into the atmosphere! so millions uniting together for 1 hour will really make that much difference!!!!

OK, I'll turn off the 18W lamp in my bedroom for an hour. That will prevent about 1Wh of heat being distributed into my bedroom (not the outdoors, as my windows are shut). On the actual day/time of the event, I shall be at work, with over 12,000W of lamps illuminated at work, but covered by metal so no light escapes, therefore turning all 12kW into heat. You spending one hour with the lights off will not make any difference, apart from raising the number of 999 calls for people with sprained ankles and broken toes where they've walked into furniture with the lights off.