The true cost of running a car

Don't talk about insurance I've got £3500 pa going out on cars alone. :mad:

Yes but I bet your car is a good one.

Mines, car of the year 1992 in Afganistan

I know, and mine's a hungry bike too. My last bike was almost 3x better on fuel, infact it was also £50 pa cheaper on tax and insurance was about £200 pa cheaper. I'd ditch the car if I didn't need it for work, they don't really interest me anyway so it's more of an insult it's costing me money!

If it wasn't for the safety issue, for most people in Britain bikes would really make sense. It's partly the risk of being squashed to a pulp by a cardriver that stops me having one.

If it wasn't for the safety issue, for most people in Britain bikes would really make sense. It's partly the risk of being squashed to a pulp by a cardriver that stops me having one.

I personally would love to use a pushbike as a means of transport. No insurance/tax/MOTs/Petrol, the clear savings would be obvious plus you would keep in shape as well.

If there were proper cycle paths, it would shut the government up and probably lots of people would use their cars less and they would not be able to find a reason to increase the taxes on car users

Sadly, you only need to knocked off once, and you could be seriously injured/even end up with a disability. Id rather pay the money than be disabled.

Imagine going to the supermarket, and finding that all the disabled spots have been taken by able bodied people, who need to park near the entrance. You have to struggle getting your wheelchair out in a normal parking bay.

I'll pay the money and stay relatively safe.

Sadly, you only need to knocked off once, and you could be seriously injured/even end up with a disability. Id rather pay the money than be disabled.

Been there done that, luckily there was no broken bones only a nasty knock to the head and a few cuts and bruises, although I did get 4 weeks off work with it .

Edited by Grandad.Malky

Mines £10,000 a day. I knew inventing that car that runs on Champagne was a bad idea.

Yep been there done that, car drivers don't care about you. What's to stop the stoned guy that knocked me off my bike doing it again? ....*drumroll*...a raised insurance premium :|

I have just looked over the figures again and they are very misleading. I have just been out for my swim and lunch. The trip in my car was 26 miles and according to the website cost £26.26p. That is totally ludicrous. It didn’t.

Had I made the trip on the bus it would probably have cost more. That is because most of the costs of running a car are fixed costs that you incur whether you take the car out or not.

The website says that my car costs £918/month to run, however most of that is insurance, breakdown cover, road tax, depreciation, servicing etc. The actual running costs like petrol, tyres etc work out at nearer £0.30 per mile rather than the suggested £1.01.

Leaving the car at home hardly saves money. It merely increases the cost per mile for the travelling done. When I looked at the effect of reducing my annual mileage from 8000 to 7000 it increased the cost per mile by 11p to £1.12p.

What I need to do is use the car more. Increasing my annual mileage 30% to 12000 miles would reduce the costs by 25% to £0.75p per mile.

WE NEED TO GET OUT MORE

£2.97 for mine-great value. Thats why I dont use the peasant wagon

My little car costs £2.54 a day

The other one costs £12.19

But i would still pay double not to ride the bus

My little car costs £2.54 a day

The other one costs £12.19

But i would still pay double not to ride the bus

I would pay 20X that not to have to get on a bus!!!!!!! PERIOD!!!!!

My car costs me 0.00 per day.....not quite sure how it worked that out:loopy:

We are assuming that you own a car? And that it isn't a dinky toy which you received as a gift? ;)