Hypoallergenic Dogs

I'm after a new pup after sadly loosing my dog Barney. The thing is, I actually am quite allergic to dogs! I don't mind putting up with it because I couldn't not have a dog in the house but if I can find a nice, none malting one that would be great.

What we are after is something about the same size as a labrador, with the same kind of bouncy temprement. We don't really want one of these little yappy dogs because we want the dog to be able to keep up with us on our walks! No Labradoodles either - not that i'm fussy! :D

I'm not advertising for a pet here, but does anyone know any hypoallergenic breeds that sound like what I am after?

hmm....

I wonder how much Curly Coated Retrievers shed?? I don't actually know but it may be worth looking into?

Alternatively there are some more unusual breeds that may work for you. However, I can't remember the names! Will try to find out for you.

I bet a Xoloitzcuintli wouldn't set off your allergies though! (google it!)

You're just showing off your dog acumen with the Xoloitzcuintli - he he he.

Handsome pooch, though! Show low itz quint lee...

They're lovely aren't they! (Mexican Hairless to you and I lol)

I only know them because I was looking at hairless breeds after hoovering one day... :lol:

Siberian Husky's have hypoallergenic fur. They very rarely bark and may only have the odd howl now and again. Not as big as people may think, bitches are about the same size if not smaller than a Lab. Gorgeous temperament, very affectionate dogs. Energetic and bouncy but not over the top. Lovely dogs as I have one myself! I should imagine Alaskan Malamutes have the same fur too but they are slightly bigger in size.

Edited by JinxSta

it's nothing to do with moulting at all (malting is a process involved in making beer btw, and I'm not aware of a breed involved in the beer making process ;) )

I am allergic to some breeds - notably those prone to skin problems such as westies and spaniels, though I've no idea why Hunny the ridgeback/staffy gave me such an asthmaticky problem

I'm not allergic to beagles, and my cousin who's horribly allergic to dogs usually is fine with him too - to the extent that he can rub his face in Brude's fur

If you want to test if you're allergic to beagles, pm me to meet up :thumbsup:

They're great for proper walking - being fit for non-stop running for up to six hours at a stretch, and they certainly don't yap! They have a much deeper bark than their stature would have you believe, being the smallest of the 'medium sized' breeds. They don't smell, and their coat doesn't hold any of the mud they pick up on an outing, so a quick rub with a towel and they're sparkling once more

Mind you, you have to be a very firm dog owner and prepared to crate train for the safety of your dog and your furniture!

Like you i am also quite allergic i find i struggle with dogs with a fine flyaway hair i have a beardie, lurcher X and a little mix, one has thick long hair and the other short but thick hair i have no problem with either.

Have you thought about a labra-doodle? You say you want something similar to a labrador. Theres loads of the 'oodle' breeds around now, combining whichever dog you like with the non moulting properties of a poodle. They just look like curly haired labradors.

I'd love to get one myself so if anyone has any experience please let me know. My partner is also allergic.

The OP stated she didn't want a labradoodle and actually the 'oodle' breeds being hypoallergenic is a total fallacy. You can rarely guarantee which parent the pup will take after...

Many of the 'oodle' litters are from people band-wagon jumping and making a few quick bucks by finding the most ridiculous name they can. Sorry...

poodles make me sneeze and my eyes run :rolleyes:

I agree with lotti - anything crossed with a poodle these days was done to make a stupid name up, not to come up with a viable set of elements that would make a great dog