Lake District Peaks - Which Guide Book(s)?

Morning,

Off to the Lakes in a few weeks. We want to climb a few of the Peaks but aren't sure which routes to take up. I've looked the the Pathfinder book for the Lake District online and it appears to only cover lake and valley walks. Can anyone recommend a decent route book for some good walks over some of the mountains?

Cheers,

Brian.

The Wainwright books are still way ahead of the rest, in my opinion. Trouble is, you'll need more than one if you're walking in different areas.

Sample here: http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/reader/0711224609/ref=sib_rdr_ex?ie=UTF8&p=S00K&j=0#reader-page

Edited by Lockjaw
Added link

The Wainwright books are still way ahead of the rest, in my opinion. Trouble is, you'll need more than one if you're walking in different areas.

Sample here: http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/reader/0711224609/ref=sib_rdr_ex?ie=UTF8&p=S00K&j=0#reader-page

Thanks for that. I'd discounted them due to there being quite a few, but I may go and have a proper look.

After doing Helvellyn, Scafell Pike and Great Gable. Quite fancy Skiddaw too. My o/h has never been walking there so thought a baptism of fire may be in order!

Thanks for that. I'd discounted them due to there being quite a few, but I may go and have a proper look.

After doing Helvellyn, Scafell Pike and Great Gable. Quite fancy Skiddaw too. My o/h has never been walking there so thought a baptism of fire may be in order!

All fantastic hills but don't discount the little ones. Helm Crag, just outside Grasmere is a cracker!

All fantastic hills but don't discount the little ones. Helm Crag, just outside Grasmere is a cracker!

Looking at camping round there so may well have to! Thanks again!

Hi

one book which I have used many times is called On High Lakeland Fells written by Bob Allen. Used in conjunction with an OS map I have found this to be an excellent guide as it covers most areas of the Lakes, and describes 84 walks of which 73 are round walks.

Hi

one book which I have used many times is called On High Lakeland Fells written by Bob Allen. Used in conjunction with an OS map I have found this to be an excellent guide as it covers most areas of the Lakes, and describes 84 walks of which 73 are round walks.

Thanks for suggesting that. Just read the reviews on Amazon which are positive so bought a copy. :thumbsup:

I bought the Bob Allen book, and one called Great Mountain Days in the Lake District by Mark Richards. The Bob Allen book is good, with the routes sketched very clearly and some good descriptions. The Mark Richards book is also very good, with some stunning photography, good clear maps and sketches of the routes showing elevation and scale very clearly. Not tried any of the walks from either book yet, but based on first impressions would definitely recommend them both.

Hi

Mark Richards books are all very good, but take care on his estimated distances he knows how to describe a country mile.

Enjoy