1955 Dial House

I saw a video at w/end showing Sheffield steelworkers and life around the Dial House club.

What surprised me was that it was made by Germans and narrated in German during the period of the middle 1950s which was only 10 years after the war ended.

It ran for 40 minutes and showed all the workers in their workplace and in leisuretime.

Remember the old "mashing" cans in enamel which the men took to work. The white sweat towels around the necks evoked many memories plus everyone seemed to smoke especially on the buses (upstairs)

The Dial House looked packed every night and the video showed some of the typical acts who always seemed to be dressed in posh frocks and tuxedos.

Pop Lomas who i think was the president was shown walking round the concert room shouting GIVE ORDER PLEASE while the turn is on.

Also seen was the snooker room and amongst the individuals were old neighbours of mine called Trevor Marshall and his very smart dad.

I couldn,t help thinking....wasn,t life simpler in those days (very hard work etc) but no terrorists as such, no PC brigade,everybody just got on with things in their own way. Above all i bet a pint of ale was about 1/1d and in the film all the pints had a proper head on. THOSE WERE THE DAYS.

Incidentally i have no idea where the film came from but if i manage to get a copy i will stick it on the computer for all to see.

I would love to see it,where did you see it.did it have a title?

I would love to see it,where did you see it.did it have a title?

It was loaned to my brother by a friend of a friend,if i get hold of it i will note the title etc and let you know.

yes i bet thats interesting to watch - let us know what its called so we can have a look

It would be around that time that a friend of mine, then a well known Sheffield soprano , used to sing at the Dial House, in fact most of the large WMCs in and around Sheffield. Her stage name was Doreen Kaye.

It would be around that time that a friend of mine, then a well known Sheffield soprano , used to sing at the Dial House, in fact most of the large WMCs in and around Sheffield. Her stage name was Doreen Kaye.
another act at that time was flo middwood.

I was in the building trade in the early 60s and used a mashing can, we used to put our tea and sugar in twists of newspaper, or in a twist of cement bag, cement and all! perhaps thats why us old uns are hard as nails!

i was in the building trade in the early 60s and used a mashing can, we used to put our tea and sugar in twists of newspaper, or in a twist of cement bag, cement and all! Perhaps thats why us old uns are hard as nails!

them were the days when young 15 , 16 ,year olds were men.

I also put my tea and sugar in a twist and used a mashing can.

Those were certainly very good days .!!!!!!!!! Best regards roy.

My mother packed us up with our sandwiches. The tea,sugar & condenced milk all wrapped up together.

Edited by Kidorry
correcting grammar

another act at that time was flo middwood.

It was around this time that the concert secretary at Dial House was sacked by the commitee for charging the acts that he booked commission, so acting more like an agent rather than a poorly paid Concert secretary. His name was Slim Farrel or something like that. He went on to be the first registered agent and booked acts like Four Mimes( Discoes) Ronnie Dukes, Ron Delta and loads of others around at that time. There was a real dearth of talent around in those days. Sadly nothing like it these days.

Cheese 'n' onion sarneys after a few hours in an army respirator bag! phew!

The video you watched of Dial House and the snooker room with old neighbours of yours in the video Trevor Marshall, did you find the title of it only Trevor was my Dad and I would to try and find the video if possible

Many thanks