Schools in Special Measures

Well ive got a 6 year old there at the moment and i don't like to read stuff like this.

It does make you think somewhat.

Im sorry if sounded harsh, i hope your son is fine, i just stated the truth what i have put is fact not fiction, we tryed so hard ourselves to sort things when my kids was there,I would gladly say it all again if thought would help you,but we got no were and in the i moved schools,

Sorry if i offended anyone have been there and lost !!! What grinds me most is how the majority of parents all feel the same,but no one willstand up and speak,, also certain staff (must had t/as ) shouldnt throw stones when live in glass houses... they seem to forget they once lived on gleadless and have backgrounds, so shouldnt judge or degrade others and yes i would say it in front of them,as i said fact not fiction as johnathan crossley holland found out,

The morale of any school in special measures is bound to be low, and both staff and children need every ounce of support they can get.

I don't know this school but I do know that OFSTED inspections are often a very hit and miss affair with plenty of schools which should be in special measures finishing up with glowing reports and vice versa, (eg. recently reported school with 96% pass rate of 5 A-C GCSE put in special measures.) So system is very unfair.

When in special measures a school loses all autonomy. The new management team (not the head or staff,) takes control and their 'support' actually puts huge pressure on the staff who have to comply with 'rules' that they know to be not necessarily in the school's / child's best interests.

They are told what to do at every turn, so may be unable to react to individual complaints/problems quickly or appropriately as every thing has to be passed to higher authority.

They will also be run off their feet jumping through arbitrary hoops, trying to hit multiple targets, and up to their ears in miscellaneous paperwork. This includes the 'good' staff who are already doing a good job. They will be working harder than ever in a job that was already very hard work and have very little time to spare. They will have a million things going round in their heads, feel unappreciated and be wondering if it is all worth it. They really are fighting for their lives at the moment and some will undoubtedly crack under the strain.

All this will impact on the kids.

I suggest you begin by reading the schools last OFSTED report (online) to find out what the perceived problems were, then contact the Education department to find out who is in charge of the Special measures team and what their action plan is (all schools have one of these,) to see what they have prioritised. These are the people who have the power to change things at the moment.

I also reiterate that the staff and children really do need your support at the moment.

A friendly word will be a lot more effective than confrontation.

If it's any consolation now that the school is in special measure means the staff and any managing body will be closely monitored and hopefully the school will come out of it a better school. This happened to my childs primary school and subsequently the staff who were not performing lost their jobs and were replaced by staff who brought the school back up to standard is now a better school for it.

lol, i knew it would be,the school is shocking,no matter what you do you wont win.my relations kids are still there,i got mine out,(thank god)while ever thestaff there, who are in charge it wont change.we complained no end to the then head and within days other staff all knew as you said there is alot of hand in glove there always has been.since moving mykids have been to whirlow,thornbridge on residentials had the chance to join sports teams,after school clubs but most of all are happy again,i do feel for you as i do no from other parents down there that it is bad,some of the things that are said over certain staff made me lost for words that it had been reported and nothing done,i also admit there is some damn good staff who get overlooked and have also been told the new learning mentor is fantastic there,i do hope you get things sorted for your childs sake but think you fighting a losing battle look at previous years and how other heads left !!! And who is in charge now. Good luck

here we go

Wondered when you would pop up,,, rofl

Going back to what i said, my child had just broke up for Easter they did nothing at school no bonnets parade, egg designing not even a card. They also came home with a letter banning drinks with packed lunches but allowing crisp n choc bars alot of parents are calling for a meeting and a petition to get the acting head out and her liitle friend surely someone can help sort out the mess here,The head from another school who is guiding the acting head of ours seems to be very gulliable towards what is happening

Edited by drab33

At last you worked out what is wrong ..............

Close the school down.

Edited by cloudybay
Gross stupidity

Going back to what i said, my child had just broke up for Easter they did nothing at school no bonnets parade, egg designing not even a card. They also came home with a letter banning drinks with packed lunches but allowing crisp n choc bars alot of parents are calling for a meeting and a petition to get the acting head out and her liitle friend surely someone can help sort out the mess here,The head from another school who is guiding the acting head of ours seems to be very gulliable towards what is happening

So you want to see a professional woman sacked and her carreer ruined because your little one didn't make you an Easter card, and isn't allowed fizzy drinks?

No wonder they're in special measures. Did you ever think that you're part of the problem?

So you want to see a professional woman sacked and her carreer ruined because your little one didn't make you an Easter card, and isn't allowed fizzy drinks?

No wonder they're in special measures. Did you ever think that you're part of the problem?

No not at all, what we are saying is the school has become a very unhappy place.were parents have no confidence in the senior mamagement,and also feel that complaints cant be made. There is some fantastic staff in the school and alot of hope there,the part over the drinksis it states it now has to be healthy due to the guidelines from the L.E.A but the school is allowing chocolate and crisp, surely fruit juice is healthier than those items