Investment Advice Needed.

Hi,

I have some spare money, I'd like to invest.

I'm no expert on financial matters and was hoping the good people on this forum who are in the know, could advice me ...

Also, if there are any books I should be reading, to get clued up on the subject, please do recommend them.

Or websites or whatever.

I am very keen to educate myself !!

Thanks,

Jamie.

Jamie,

Your choice of investment vehicle should really depend on the level of risk you are willing to take.

Leveraged investments such as commodities can generate a substantial return (or loss). Your risk in futures contracts is not limited to your initial investment.

Investing in business start-ups, all though risky, can be quite rewarding and fun.

Blue chip stock investments and funds historically tend to be more on the low end of the risk spectrum.

If you are very risk adverse, you may wish to gravitate more toward government-backed interest bearing vehicles.

Where do you see yourself?

Go see a financial adviser mate.

I wouldn't try to learn it all yourself - the ins and outs of it all can be pretty complicated - it took me 18 months to get my financial planning exams.

Main thing to watch for is level of risk. As a rule, more risk means potentially better return but it's more volatile.

E.g. stick it in a bank account, you'll get 2-3% interest but unless the bank goes under (unlikely) you won't lose your capital.

Stick it in unlisted shares you could make thousands or lose the lot.

They're both ends of the spectrum like, but go talk to a pro they can talk you through it all.

Your best talking to a good professional, I've pm'ed you a really really good one. He's the sort of IFA that helps IFA's with products they wouldn't normally have available to them.

'Your welcome' in advanced.

Hi, excuse me dropping in like this. Is anyone interested in learning how to make money on the stock market? I have a spare ticket to a 3 day “win Investing” course, held on November 3rd /4th /5th 2006. I have paid £1970 for my partner and I to attend, but unfortunately, he is now unable make it. If you are interested, the ticket is being auctioned on ebay. Just type “win investing” in the search box for more information. Many Thanks! Louise

I've got The Motley Fool UK Investment Guide. It explains what the different sorts of savings/investments are and the pitfalls to watch out for. Given the subject matter it's a very easy read.