Is there going to be a fair at Hillsborough this year?

you probably dont even know the difference between a gypsy & a showman!

Perhaps he doesn't care, I know I don't ;)

The weather is too good at the moment, wait till there is freezing rain and a bitterly cold wind, then the fair might arrive.

That's been my experience anyway :hihi:

you probably dont even know the difference between a gypsy & a showman!

i dont give a <removed> to tell you the truth. however a gypsy is a traveller who steals for a living. a showman is a traveller who steals for a living. hence the magnetic games boards and heavy tins on the coconut shy.

who asked you anyway. are you one of the light fingered romany rogues?

Edited by happyhippy
masked swearing

i dont give a <removed> to tell you the truth. however a gypsy is a traveller who steals for a living. a showman is a traveller who steals for a living. hence the magnetic games boards and heavy tins on the coconut shy.

i & a few others find your post quite insulting! duly reported! Edited by happyhippy
masked swearing

actually i worked 4 a travelling showman. at no time did we steal from anyone. ay many venues we would hook upto peoples electricity for the duration of the fair & the owner was always rewarded rather handsomely. where we couldnt hook upto water mains ,then again we would get our supplies from a member of the local public who in turn were also rewarded. as for keeping the venues clean the sites usually have a senior showman who deals with all health & safety regulations & during events distributes free ride vouchers to children or adults willing to help keep the venues clean & tidy to an extent, which they arent required to do but do so anyway. your point about showman stealing for a living is unfounded where is your evidence? i learnt a lot of good during my time as a travelling showman & to date my employer at the time & his family have no convictions whatsoever for theft! come to think of it the other showmen hadnt any either to my knowledge! may i suggest you meet up with 1 or 2 showmen you may learn some manners 4 a start after theyve openly welcomed you!

They leave sites often cleaner than when they arrive,

I presume you didn;t see the state of endcliffe park last year then after they had left- it was just a field of mud!!!!

The only decent thing they could have down would have been to pay for it to be re-layed as it looks shocking for months afterwards- all over summer.

I presume you didn;t see the state of endcliffe park last year then after they had left- it was just a field of mud!!!!

The only decent thing they could have down would have been to pay for it to be re-layed as it looks shocking for months afterwards- all over summer.

the councils choose some or all of the venues so they know what to expect of the state of the land after, if it was possible to use all solid grounds im sure they would however the litter problem doesnt lay with the showman thats down to the majority of public who are too lazy to use a bin!

the councils choose some or all of the venues so they know what to expect of the state of the land after, if it was possible to use all solid grounds im sure they would however the litter problem doesnt lay with the showman thats down to the majority of public who are too lazy to use a bin!

i never mentioned anything about litter?

And as for the land- it was there lorries that did the damage to the land- they are professionals and should have ways of not damaging the turf that they are using- especially as it is usually on pubic parks. The only thing the council did wrong was to not make them repair it.

You're right. The public are the ones who drop the litter, bottle tops etc but if the fair did'nt come then the issue dropping dangerous rubbish in a public park (endcliffe) would not be as much of an issue.

i never mentioned anything about litter?

And as for the land- it was there lorries that did the damage to the land- they are professionals and should have ways of not damaging the turf that they are using- especially as it is usually on pubic parks. The only thing the council did wrong was to not make them repair it.

the showmen know theyre gonna damage turf from time to time & yes most are professional drivers but its the coucil who set the venues or give permission to use a venue in the 1st place so its the council responsibility for not granting all venues on tarmac or concrete grounds. all showmen are instructed asto the venues by the councils each year & cant guarantee the weather im lead to believe the parks section are to make good any turf damage after a venue thats why showmen pay the coucil large amounts of fees each year

You're right. The public are the ones who drop the litter, bottle tops etc but if the fair did'nt come then the issue dropping dangerous rubbish in a public park (endcliffe) would not be as much of an issue.
yeah but the council know in advance where the fairs are to be held & know extra litter will be about so why dont the council provide extra temporary bins for the duration of the fair in the hope that lazy members of the public will use the bins? all the venues i worked at we did the free ride scheme for helping with litter problems which my boss didnt have to do but did it out of courtesy to local residents, on many occassions once we had pulled down he would still pay kids to help clear litter. the public are the 1s dropping it so they should be getting the blame

the showmen know theyre gonna damage turf from time to time & yes most are professional drivers but its the coucil who set the venues or give permission to use a venue in the 1st place so its the council responsibility for not granting all venues on tarmac or concrete grounds. all showmen are instructed asto the venues by the councils each year & cant guarantee the weather im lead to believe the parks section are to make good any turf damage after a venue thats why showmen pay the coucil large amounts of fees each year

Oh im sure they are good drivers, and im not having a go at the showmen themselves as my cousin dean was on the fairs for years but what im saying is that they should be able to avoid the damage complealy or simply on have the fair there as it ruins the entire park for the rest of the summer.