Anybody renting with crap & hay?

Only been with them 1 month and similar story to other tenants with regards ringing up and them saying they have no note of past calls and will leave a note it has now got to the point where I am in contact with a solicitor as Mr Francis more or less threatened us with eviction, this is our situation at present.

Moved in to a small unfurnished house with large shed which was ideal as we have a lot of shed type stuff, the landlord was storing some furniture in there which was "awaiting his collection" rang after 1 week to see what was happening as our house was filled with shed stuff, rang the following week twice and twice the week after each time the same reply "we will leave a note"

after 3 weeks I could stand it no more and put the landlords mouldy furniture in the garden so I could put my things in the shed and get on with making our house a home and not an assault course, rang C&H and explained, same reply "will leave a note"

This weekend we got a very curt letter saying the furniture has to be put back immediately, obviously that is impossible and impractical as my stuff now occupies the shed, when I finally got through to someone other than a secretary and explained the situation the rudeness I encountered was beyond comparison, having said that we have it in writing that the landlord would collect his stuff I was told in a sneering tone that "it doesn't say when though does it"

You were told that the stuff would be collected, they have had ample time to arrnage this. Remind them that you rented the house specificly for usage of the shed, and the landlord storing things without your agreement (i am assuming there is no special clause written into your lease allowing this) is interfering with your quiet enjoyment of the property.

Crapper and haighs terrible service beggers belief, can't believe they are still in operation. My ex girlfriend had dealings with Mr Francis (horrid little man), a year ago and the rude manner this guy adopts when dealing with tennants is truly staggering. The office staff clearly have no customer service training. At all costs avoid these cowboys.

This sounds very much their thing. Unfortunately tenants have very little rights, this is how it goes 'basically if you don't like it tough' landlords can throw you out whenever they please. Agents can do what they like too. I'd go down to their offices and let them be rude to you face to face, at least they might feel a little more uncomfortable about it. You could also video it on your phone and tell them you are doing it.

Seriously, demand the name and address of the landlord (a legal requirement) and deal with the landlord only, the landlord then will know what is going on (Crap & Hay probably haven't even told the landlord), the landlord may then decide not to use them (the more landlord know how bad they are the fewer will use them).

Good Luck

Edited by roffeyd007

well the stuff has still not been collected by the landlord, it has been in our back room since the end of February making our use of the room impossible. we have been getting a letter each week asking if the items have been put back in the shed to which I have not replied as I wanted them to assume the items were still in the garden in the vain hope they would see sense and arrange to collect them.

We also found out that our house was empty for at least 7 months prior to us moving in which means the items had been in the shed at least this long, ample time for collection.

we have had enough now and although our contract is till the middle of june we have gave them a months notice as we feel they are in breach of contract, doubtless they will try and keep our bond even though we have sorted out the overgrown garden and fixed a few thing in the house at our own cost like door lock, toilet seat, curtain tracks etc.

Maybe I should send a bill for storage costs

This sounds very much their thing. Unfortunately tenants have very little rights, this is how it goes 'basically if you don't like it tough' landlords can throw you out whenever they please.

Absolute rubbish they have to have a very good reason to evict you (rent arrears etc) and even then they have to goto court to get an eviction order. If things are extremely bad then you can contact the council even though you're a private tenant

well the stuff has still not been collected by the landlord, it has been in our back room since the end of February making our use of the room impossible. we have been getting a letter each week asking if the items have been put back in the shed to which I have not replied as I wanted them to assume the items were still in the garden in the vain hope they would see sense and arrange to collect them.

We also found out that our house was empty for at least 7 months prior to us moving in which means the items had been in the shed at least this long, ample time for collection.

we have had enough now and although our contract is till the middle of june we have gave them a months notice as we feel they are in breach of contract, doubtless they will try and keep our bond even though we have sorted out the overgrown garden and fixed a few thing in the house at our own cost like door lock, toilet seat, curtain tracks etc.

Maybe I should send a bill for storage costs

You need to write them a letter and you need to quote something along the lines of this

"By not removing the furniture I'm unable to use a room in the property I'm renting from you which is hindering my rights to "Quiet enjoyment" of the property and therefore a breach of my statutory rights."

If you still get no joy goto the council and inform them you're having to leave due to the above they will contact your landlord/agent and if need be look at taking legal action.

Don't just decide you're leaving and go as this could lead to you being taken to court etc.

Cheers Damo, we had put all that in our months notice letter quoting all the relevant sections and subsections in the contract

"Since then the items were placed in the back room which has made our full use and enjoyment of the room completely impossible and unliveable with still no word on when they would be picked up as stated in the inventory this we feel is in direct contrast to section 6 subsection (2) that states the tenant may quietly possess and enjoy the property."

with the house being empty for at least 7 months prior to us moving one would have thought they would have dealt with the issue in a professional manner instead of being rude and aggressive

We asked them about carrying on with a rolling contract but 'it was not possible' ... something to do with the bank requiring a fixed term contract, although somehow I doubt that.

We were told by the previous tenants to watch out for their deposit stealing tactics at the end as they lost a fair amount for no reason.

I certainly wouldn't recommend them. I'm sure there's many more bad tales out there about them.

This is something i hear about all too often, however despite what they tell you it is your legal right to remain on a periodic contract if you don't renew.

If they want possession they must issue you with the proper written notice (Sec 21), and can NOT force you to renew in order to charge an admin fee.

you could quote the 'Foxtons' case - this is a case that recently went to court (court of appeal i think) which said that an estate agent couldnt charge for renewing a contract - advise them that you may contact the office of fair trading - that would normally put the wind up them.

Can someone tell me where their offices are i am so curious and would love to go and take the **** if i am honest hahhah.... Please tell me . i might whilst i am there just give them a very difficult time on behalf of everyone lol

I have just finished a 3 year lease with Crapper and Haigh - Be warned everything that has been stated in this forum is very true!

Every 6 month's they will charge you £75 to photocopy a piece of paper to "renew" your tenancy!

The staff are the rudest people you will ever meet and they will never get back to you if there is a problem with the property - it took 7 phone calls, 5 e-mails and 2 letters just to get someone to come and deal with problem with the bathroom.

Finally when you move out they WILL charge you to have the carpets proffesionally cleanned - however i went back to check the property and the carpets had not be cleaned at all - they just take this money from your deposit.

So if you are considering renting with these guys, my advice is DONT, just pay a little extra to go with another landlord, as crapper will sting you for lots more cash later in the tenancy and you'll have a very unpleasent experience along the way.....