Anybody renting with crap & hay?

Wow they must use some expensive cleaners! If there was a mark on the mirror they can only legally charge the cost of cleaning that particular portion.

I think i'm in the wrong job :hihi:

hasame trouble with blundells.they just never goin to give you a full bond back

Make them give you the reasons in writing, take photos of the property, ask them to prove the costs they incurred by showing receipts, basically make yourself a huge pain in their back end.

If they have genuine reasons they will be able to justify retaining some bond, if not make sure you appeal with the deposit scheme.

Oh, my god.... seems I am in big trouble.

How this kind of people can still live their life of cheating others.

I have had a lot of experience as a landlord and a tennant and dealing with doggy letting agents.

You have the right to ask for the landlord's name and address. You could write to them directly and explain the problem.

You can call the council as they have a department to deal with tennant's problems, they can send you advice which you can send onto the agents and/or landlord.

The agent cannot force you to sign for 6/12 months.

Your deposit is held by the TDS and should be secure. They cant deduct anything that you are not in agreement with. If you have any doubts contact the company your deposit is held with.

You shouldn't let the agents bully you, the council people will support you and back you up.

I have had a lot of experience as a landlord and a tennant and dealing with doggy letting agents.

You have the right to ask for the landlord's name and address. You could write to them directly and explain the problem.

You can call the council as they have a department to deal with tennant's problems, they can send you advice which you can send onto the agents and/or landlord.

The agent cannot force you to sign for 6/12 months.

Your deposit is held by the TDS and should be secure. They cant deduct anything that you are not in agreement with. If you have any doubts contact the company your deposit is held with.

You shouldn't let the agents bully you, the council people will support you and back you up.

That's encouraging, thanks a lot.

I think I will give council a call see that they can do.

But the deposit, I don't think Crap and hay signed with TDS, so it is being held by them.

Thanks.

When did you pay the deposit to them? It has been a legal requirement since April 2007 for any letting agent or landlord to hold every deposit taken in a government approved TDS.

As you have signed a new contract they should have it in a scheme, if they don't they are breaking the law.

Edited by Charlotte_24

That's encouraging, thanks a lot.

I think I will give council a call see that they can do.

But the deposit, I don't think Crap and hay signed with TDS, so it is being held by them.

Thanks.

they can't do that.. there's no choice, they have to put it in a governement scheme.. there are three schemes, and they have to let you know in writing which scheme and the details etc within 14 days of you handing the deposit over to them. if they don't you can take them to court, and a judge could award you three times the ammount of the deposit. I would check with them again and remind them that there is no opt out clause... and see what they say, and get leagal advice if you want to take it any further.

Hi Winter,

I have first hand experience renting from C&H recently.

Dont worry too much. Your deposit (as another poster said) will be in one of three gov't schemes. When I rented from them, it was put into one of these schemes. At the the end of the lease C&H have 10 days to notify you of any deduction they want to take from the deposit, then they will send you a check for the balance.

When I finished up my lease, they charged ÂŁ35 for carpet shampooing - that was it. Unfortunately, you have to arrange for the carpets to be cleaned yourself or allow C&H to arrange it - I let them sort it out - one less hassle). Aside from that, when the guy came from C&H to inspect the flat, he checked everywhere for dirt etc and counted everything that was listed on the inventory and he said I needed to clean in a few places more....really minor things like 'the bed frame was dusty' 'clean behind the tv stand' so I said I'd clean them right away, he left and I got a check within 10 days no probs.

C&H - I rented from them for 12months, then I wasn't sure what my circumstances were going to be - I asked them if I could rent on a month to moth basis - the answer was no - they'd rather get someone in on a contract - it's just greed on their part - incidentally the property was vacant for about 4 months after I left.

They too told me to pay ÂŁ75 renewal fee if I wanted to stay on - it's just BS, but it is their call. Its just photocopying some papers and changing the dates. it's a rip off but thats how they make their money.

Im glad I didn't renew but I was lucky to find a bigger place at the time.

I agree, the staff are rude and unfriendly - you'd be lucky to get a hello, or a smile at any time. Any time you ring up for a issue, be prepared for them to say they no nothing about it and they will contact the owner (yeah, I could have done that myself).

Good luck with everything, let us know how you get on.

Edited by alicat_26

Hi Winter,

I have first hand experience renting from C&H recently.

Dont worry too much. Your deposit (as another poster said) will be in one of three gov't schemes. When I rented from them, it was put into one of these schemes. At the the end of the lease C&H have 10 days to notify you of any deduction they want to take from the deposit, then they will send you a check for the balance.

When I finished up my lease, they charged ÂŁ35 for carpet shampooing - that was it. Unfortunately, you have to arrange for the carpets to be cleaned. Aside from that, when the guy came from C&H to inspect the flat, he checked everywhere for dirt etc and counted everything that was listed on the inventory and he said I needed to clean in a few places more....really minor things like 'the bed frame was dusty' 'clean behind the tv stand' so I said I'd clean them right away, he left and I got a check within 10 days no probs.

C&H - I rented from them for 12months, then I wasn't sure what my circumstances were going to be - I asked them if I could rent on a month to moth basis - the answer was no - they'd rather get someone in on a contract - it's just greed on their part - incidentally the property was vacant for about 4 months after I left.

They too told me to pay ÂŁ75 renewal fee if I wanted to stay on - it's just BS, but it is their call. Its just photocopying some papers and changing the dates. it's a rip off but thats how they make their money.

Im glad I didn't renew but I was lucky to find a bigger place at the time.

I agree, the staff are rude and unfriendly - you'd be lucky to get a hello, or a smile at any time. Any time you ring up for a issue, be prepared for them to say they no nothing about it and they will contact the owner (yeah, I could have done that myself).

Good luck with everything, let us know how you get on.

I'm currently renting from Crapper, not the best experience I've ever had.

We're planning on moving out this summer after 12 months here. We had the same con of being charged for them to print out another lease with changed dates after 6 months.

We asked them about carrying on with a rolling contract but 'it was not possible' ... something to do with the bank requiring a fixed term contract, although somehow I doubt that.

We were told by the previous tenants to watch out for their deposit stealing tactics at the end as they lost a fair amount for no reason.

I certainly wouldn't recommend them. I'm sure there's many more bad tales out there about them.

Edited by PoppyRob

I rented from C&H too, they were quite good on our deposit and only took ÂŁ50 for carpet cleaning which to be fair, we had made quite a mess of.

But the women that work in there are AWFUL! If you remember the comedian Linda Smith she actually did an early sketch taking the **** out of them (think she called them crapper and crapper). I don’t know if she rented through them. I found them to be nothing less than ALWAYS rude. In fact, almost admirably consistently rude. I did sometimes used to start giggling whilst they were talking to me because I couldn’t believe how moody they were. One particular time one of their staff threw a strop because I asked to borrow a pen to write a cheque to them. Why they don’t just let you pay by direct debit gods knows…I think that’s a bit too post 1950 for them.

And who is Mr Francis?? They seem terrified of him and only speak of him in hushed voices. Once they even referred to him as “him upstairs” and nodded fearfully towards the ceiling.

Honestly enjoy them whilst you can. They’re hilarious