Brightside foundry heating & vent

Greetings everyone. I just stumbled upon this forum whilst searching my Grandad's name. My name is Anthony Sellars and my Grandad was the late Fred Sellars. My brother Jason and myself live in Dundee and were delighted to read about our Grandad and that people remember him. Sadly Fred left us when we were wee boys in 1985 but we remember him extremely fondly and his skill as an engineer. He lived in Kirby Road Darnall and then Richmond Park Croft Handsworth. I have happy memories of both houses and a huge affection for Sheffield..our second home! Fred used to latterly frequent the Angler's Rest in Handsworth I sampled the Wards there in the 90's and to this day it's one of the best pints I've ever tasted. Regards.. Tony

Tim Burley started as a boy and went on to be a director of Heating --passed away sadly

also---Trevor-Grayson --left to start Aqua Heat in South Anston again passed away

Edited by wagginfinger
change name

Hi Tony. I am Roy your grandad was my uncle i served 2 years of my apprentice with your grandad . he was one of brightsides best. IF I remember he passed when he was about 65. my dad was Charlie his brother he passed when he 61. I am 79 how old are you now . my dad also worked for brightside. cheers Roy.

---------- Post added 12-10-2014 at 19:33 ----------

Hi to all brightside friends. yes i remember tommy bacon he was a fun guy to work with. I got a transfer to birmingham branch in 1960 .i remember the Jessop job very well great & happy tiimes.

cheers Roy.

Our next door neighbour worked there his name was Len Cooper and his son was David Cooper and his relative was Ernest Reed all lived on Shirecliffe.

Hi Roy..Great to hear from you. My Dad Anthony moved to Dundee in around 1968 to study Biological Science at Dundee University and settled in the city. My Dad is now 64 and obviously must be your cousin.. It's a small world! I'm 39 and my brother Jason is 35 we are both musicians.

Hope all is well in Canada. It's really wonderful to connect with relatives and remember our Grandad.

Tony

Just to let everyone know who worked at Brightside Heating, sadly I regret to inform you all that Ron Dolphin passed away Monday 19/01/15.

I will post any information relating to funeral arrangements asap

regards,

ten bob

Hi tenbob, I can not recall Ron Dolphlin I may have been before his time.

I started at brightside on Don rd in 1950 , i transferd to Birmingham branch in 1960. cheers Roy.

branch 1960.

---------- Post added 26-01-2015 at 19:20 ----------

when was the end of brightside heating.

---------- Post added 26-01-2015 at 19:23 ----------

when was the end of brightside heating.

Ron's funeral arrangements for those who wish to attend.

Ron Dolphin funeral will take place on Thursday 12th February 15.

It will be held at City Road Cemetery, at 11.15 am.

It will be a cremation.

There will be a wake at the CO OP funeral services building on Suffolk Road in Sheffield, after the funeral.

Regards,

Tenbob

Hi I served my apprentiship with Brightside from their Edinburgh office from 1968 to 1972. Huge chunk of that time I was with them on Benbecula in the Outer Hebrides gas welding some pretty big pipes.

Dread to think of the amount of asbestos lagging I stripped from old pipework !!!!

Edited by cardoon

I (Des Robinson) worked for Brightside from 1962 until 1985 and new almost all the names mentioned above. Fred sellers was affectionately known as Freddie hurry up due to is brisk walk. As an apprentice I worked with the 3 Crappers (Gren, Roger and Herbert) on Hyde Park Flats. The highlight of many days was all three falling out with each other.

My last few years at Brightside were as a commissioning engineer

I worked as a sub contactor for Brightside at Hornsey (north London) railway repair terminal in early 1975. The gaffer was Ernie Treece along with Brian Stent. Ernie smoked little cigars and Brian smoked a lot of 'Players Navy Cut'. I think Ernie later went to work -as an engineer- for Bassett's.

On 22/03/2009 at 22:51, roy sellars said:

Anyone worked at brightside foundry heating & vent company from

the fiftys.

I started work at Brightside foundry and engineering in 1956 at that time I lived in shiregreen. I left Brightside roundabout 1964 and emigrated to Canada. My line manager was Dennis Kelk. Mr Burley was branch manager. Wilf Blagg upstairs manager. I remember many of my associates which would include Bill Jackson, Keith Woodward, Ken White, Frank Beresford, John Huntington, Keith Valentine and many many others.