MP's Expenses

is there ANYTHING they actually pay for out of their salaries????

Because their job requires them to spend half of the week in one place and the other half in another place. They also pay their personal staff out of those expense.

On the face of it I don't have a problem with MPs claiming expenses as most businesses that require their staff to spend extended periods of time away from home do the same. However some MPs are taking the michael even if they are doing so within the rules. A few are committing outright fraud.

A few changes to the expenses rules I'd make would be:

- allow MPs to pay the mortgage of their second homes (as long as they don't live within travelling distance anyway) with expenses but those homes are owned by the State, not the MPs, and can be sold by the Government when that particular MP leaves the job.

- each MPs initially has a small budget for decoration/furniture. If they want anything fancy they pay for it themselves. They get a new budget after each election.

- make it illegal to employ family members and all MPs staff are employed by an independant agency within Parliament with set job roles and pay bands just like any other public service. No more £25,000 expense claims for family members who have other full-time jobs and just do a bit of photocopying every now and again.

Why should they have a second home? Why not do what others do who have to commute...stay in a bed and breakfast.

Because their job requires them to spend half of the week in one place and the other half in another place. They also pay their personal staff out of those expense.

On the face of it I don't have a problem with MPs claiming expenses as most businesses that require their staff to spend extended periods of time away from home do the same. However some MPs are taking the michael even if they are doing so within the rules. A few are committing outright fraud.

A few changes to the expenses rules I'd make would be:

- allow MPs to pay the mortgage of their second homes (as long as they don't live within travelling distance anyway) with expenses but those homes are owned by the State, not the MPs, and can be sold by the Government when that particular MP leaves the job.

- each MPs initially has a small budget for decoration/furniture. If they want anything fancy they pay for it themselves. They get a new budget after each election.

- make it illegal to employ family members and all MPs staff are employed by an independant agency within Parliament with set job roles and pay bands just like any other public service. No more £25,000 expense claims for family members who have other full-time jobs and just do a bit of photocopying every now and again.

I agree that the numbers of spongers and hangers on need culling.

My worry about the "independent agency" to supply MP's staff would be the Members' need for trustworthy staff who will keep confidences that need to be kept (State secrets, I mean, not corruption!)

How far away do we set the limit for "commuting distance" though??

100 miles from the capital? 200miles? 300miles?

One hours' travelling time? Two hours?

Two hours' travel by car?

Or two hours' travel by train?

Or even by Aeroplane?

Why should they have a second home? Why not do what others do who have to commute...stay in a bed and breakfast.

I think scoop has an excellent answer to that point, below... a sort of hall of residence or cluster flats like the Forge in Sheffield- but could they build such a property in Westminster and not flout building laws/ conservation area regulations?

I would question whether they need a second home at all.

I would like to see a purpose built accomadation unit near the Commons, In the style of some of the student accomadation. En Suite single rooms with communal kitchen/lounge per six or so rooms.

I would question whether they need a second home at all.

I would like to see a purpose built accomadation unit near the Commons, In the style of some of the student accomadation. En Suite single rooms with communal kitchen/lounge per six or so rooms.

d*mn right they should have accommodation provided in a specific accommodation unit and have travel tickets purchased for them, no second homes and no damn allowances

Edited by esme
added quote

Only just saw this today.

Apparently MPs who resign get a hefty pay off to help them adjust to life without their snouts in the trough in the real world.

That really takes the biscuit doesn't it.

Story here

...I think scoop has an excellent answer to that point, below... a sort of hall of residence or cluster flats like the Forge in Sheffield- but could they build such a property in Westminster and not flout building laws/ conservation area regulations?

The ability to juggle raising a family with pursuing political aspirations has been a key factor in encouraging women, especially mothers, into politics. Being able to set up home close to where they work is obviously crucial. It also plays a large part where the father is the MP, in allowing families to be together during the working week.

If you think undoing the above is a good thing, then a hall of residence would be a great idea. Personally, I don't.

I agree that the numbers of spongers and hangers on need culling.

My worry about the "independent agency" to supply MP's staff would be the Members' need for trustworthy staff who will keep confidences that need to be kept (State secrets, I mean, not corruption!)

How far away do we set the limit for "commuting distance" though??

100 miles from the capital? 200miles? 300miles?

One hours' travelling time? Two hours?

Two hours' travel by car?

Or two hours' travel by train?

Or even by Aeroplane?

I think scoop has an excellent answer to that point, below... a sort of hall of residence or cluster flats like the Forge in Sheffield- but could they build such a property in Westminster and not flout building laws/ conservation area regulations?

But the problem with this is that the tax payer would have to pay for it to be built. Bed and breakfast accomodation is already available at no cost to the tax payer.

All these snivelling spivs are bleating that it was a mistake or an oversight yet it always seems to be in their favour.

They seem to make a hell of a lot of 'mistakes' and theoretically they have their fingers on the nuclear button

OOPS! JUST MADE A MISTAKE!!!!

All these snivelling spivs are bleating that it was a mistake or an oversight yet it always seems to be in their favour.

They seem to make a hell of a lot of 'mistakes' and theoretically they have their fingers on the nuclear button

OOPS! JUST MADE A MISTAKE!!!!

These people seem to make so many mistakes that they should be sacked for incompetence, even if they are honest. :hihi: