MP's Expenses

I was pretty appalled by this audio from Anthony Steen (the MP who claimed the cost of cleaning his moat) - accusing people of being jealous and stating that he had behaved impeccably.

Possibly the worst response I've heard yet from an MP. I cannot actually see any rationale whatsoever for your second home to be anything more than a one bedroom furnished flat.

Original article about his claims here

He reminds me of this character, Anthony Henley, MP for Southampton from 1727 to 1734. It's his reply to his constituents after they complained about the Excise Bill, which he supported.

I received yours and am surprised at your insolence in troubling me about the Excise. You know, what I very well know, that I bought you. And I know what perhaps you think I don't know, you are now selling yourselves to Someone Else; and I know what you do not know, that I am buying another borough. May God's curse light upon you all; may your houses be as open and common to all Excise Officers as your wives and daughters were to me, when I stood for your scoundrel corporation

(Touch of the Rumsfelds there as well!)

This one will be the next to resign in ignominy. A string of allegations as long as your arm plus new revelations that the taxpayer paid for her to have an extension on the house that taxpayers were already paying the mortgage on

This one will be the next to resign in ignominy. A string of allegations as long as your arm plus new revelations that the taxpayer paid for her to have an extension on the house that taxpayers were already paying the mortgage on

Indeed, and today she has announced she will be stepping down at the next election, she still claims she has done nothing wrong though.

Story here

which contains no dates apart from the publication date, no amounts, no descriptions of items basically no useful information whatsoever

just some vague promise that after suitable editing these figures, dates and descriptions will one day be available, probably sometime after he's voted back into his 'safe seat' ministerial office at the next general election

I certainly doubt I'll be seeing them before then unless the Telegraph decides to publish them first

What i don't understand is why the mp's that are quitting are hanging round like a bad smell:confused::confused: and not doing what the speaker did and leaving when parliament breaks up for the summer

Any of this lot who have taken the p*** with their expenses shouldn't be allowed to retire, they should be sacked so that they loose all entitlements. Haven't they had enough, about time the purse strings were cut. :rant:

OR

Treated like anybody else and arrested and tried for fraud or embezzelment or theft.

you,ll do for me top gun :thumbsup::thumbsup:

anybody know where I can see the details of Clive Betts expenses ?

I can find totals but not details

i hope he doesn,t get his KY jelly on his expense account :o

Looks like the rats running from the sinking ship have their eyes set on another free lunch

Latest here

and a quote

"Meanwhile the Guardian has reported that at least 52 Labour MPs have formally approached Downing Street to apply for seats in the House of Lords after the next general election."

has hazel blears packed up ?

which contains no dates apart from the publication date, no amounts, no descriptions of items basically no useful information whatsoever

just some vague promise that after suitable editing these figures, dates and descriptions will one day be available, probably sometime after he's voted back into his 'safe seat' ministerial office at the next general election

I certainly doubt I'll be seeing them before then unless the Telegraph decides to publish them first

Esme - there are 9 buttons at the bottom of the explanatory text. each button allows you to download a pdf file of expense claims.

Good luck

said on the news this morning those mps that are "quitting" will get their yearly salary plus a "resettlement" hand out (ie:- another years wage) at least

WTF???

if i do wrong, i get sacked, i cant even claim dole for so long if its my fault.

even if i did get two years wage it'd only be what? £23.000? ish

its distgusting

even when they DO leave theyll be straight into either lunch speaking jobs or large company board rooms

so another massive wage plus the taxpayers money theyll still recieve :(