MP's Expenses

It was the aptly named Douglas Hogg, otherwise known as Viscount Hailsham, who claimed for the cost of cleaning his moat. Anthony Steen appears to have claimed for everything else.

Here's what Alan B'stard thinks of it all http://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/article-1185167/Greedy-Pah-Our-rotten-MPs-werent-claiming-nearly-ENOUGH-says-Alan-BStard.html

Ahh, my apologies - although I'm blaming the telegraph article :P

Actually, re-reading it, I'm blaming my own comprehension.

Dave Nellist refused to take more than the average pay of a skilled worker from his parliamentary allowances during his time as an MP.

Sir/lord (?) Anthony Steen did apologise for his earlier outbursts where he accused us, (the dirty unwashed), of being jealous of his mansion etc.

Thats ok then. Lets all have a group hug and brush his filthy indiscretions under the carpet. Hang on though.........who knows what else is lurking under his carpet!

Anyhow, I'm currently working from home on a short term contract. I really need to know just what I can fleece.....err, I mean claim for, from the hard working tax payer. Mmmmm......perhaps thats not such a good idea cos I would be claiming from myself.

On a more serious note, just why do our MP's think that they deserve a second home paid for by the tax payer? They are only turning up for work after all. Surely they read the job description when they decided to apply for the job? Nights away from home go with the territory.........so book into the nearest hotel and claim expenses for the hotel and travel expenses.

I am so very glad that finally the "gravy train" appears to be shuddering to a halt. How many will be prosecuted for theft I wonder? My bet is that none of them will suffer from their actions but I hope and pray that I'm wrong.

...and as was reinforced yesterday on Question Time, the MPs still refuse to get it.

They think if they parrot 'within the rules', 'entirely innocent', 'the system must be changed' (now they've been found out), 'transparency', 'independent enquiry' etc. it's all OK, then.

I think we're beginning to seen how this 'clean up' will pan out. Granted you can't believe a word that comes out of Brown's mouth, but yesterday we had:

"Gordon Brown has defended two cabinet ministers (James Purnell & Geoff Hoon) who did not pay capital gains tax on home sales as the expenses row cast doubt on the future of more MPs."

Hazel Blears' conduct was described by Brown as 'wholly unacceptable', but she won't be getting sacked, and the vile Jacqui Smith is still there, making announcements.

• So far nobody - nobody - has been sacked.

• When will the investigation include tin-pot local councillors, Town Hall 'executives', NHS Trust Managers and the MEP's?

• Apart from second/third/fourth homes, what about MPs with second/third/fourth jobs?

In this, the most serious parliamentary crisis in memory, the MPs are so concerned that they'll be off on their 3 month summer break soon.

They're all guilty. They knew what was going on but did and said nothing. I'm sure that's called 'guilty after the fact'.

And as for Brown saying 'No rewards for failure.', well a peerage and £1.4m pension seems pretty good reward for Michael Martin.

retiring local MP`S are going to be handed nice little pay offs - you couldnt make it up

http://www.thestar.co.uk/news/Retiring-MPs-in-line-for.5289230.jp

Any of this lot who have taken the p*** with their expenses shouldn't be allowed to retire, they should be sacked so that they loose all entitlements. Haven't they had enough, about time the purse strings were cut. :rant:

OR

Treated like anybody else and arrested and tried for fraud or embezzelment or theft.

Richard Caborn says 'Whether I get £54,000 or not is irrelevant - it is the system'

Oh well that's alright then. Hasn't he understood yet that it is the system that stinks?

anybody know where I can see the details of Clive Betts expenses ?

I can find totals but not details

anybody know where I can see the details of Clive Betts expenses ?

I can find totals but not details

Have a look on this list.You may have to scroll down a bit.http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/8044207.stm

Archbishop Rowan Williams has now said the mp's have been humiliated enough and democracy is in danger.

Wrong Mr Williams, the voters are entitled to know every last one of them who has been lining his/her pockets at our expense. Only when they have all been rooted out and hopefully kicked out might government and parliament start to try and regain the trust of the electorate.

Archbishop Rowan Williams has now said the mp's have been humiliated enough and democracy is in danger.

Wrong Mr Williams, the voters are entitled to know every last one of them who has been lining his/her pockets at our expense. Only when they have all been rooted out and hopefully kicked out might government and parliament start to try and regain the trust of the electorate.

Well said & I agree.