Help with PSP

Hey,

I have been looking at getting a PSP for a while now and I found out you can actually run emulators on them to play old old games.

Just wondered if anywhere in Sheffield could do this??

Cheers

lol

its possible, but why. none of the new or old games are any good on such a small screen

its having the option of playing SNES, megadrive, neo geo games etc and not just the PSP games. Im old skool really!!

lol

its possible, but why. none of the new or old games are any good on such a small screen

Beg to differ on that. I run various emulators on my psp and the games look great. Old Megadrive games, Atari ST games, heck...even ZX Spectrum games looks fantastic on them (and old PS1 games are perfect on the small screen). My PC Engine emulator runs like a beauty and Parasol Stars has never looked so good :)

Bare in mind the old games ran on low resolution, it is no surpirse that they play great on a small screen.

However, seeing as to play emulators on PSPs requires the installation of custom firmware, which is seriously frowned upon by Sony, discussion of how to do it should not take place on here. All I will say is that you will need an old PSP (not the new model) if you plan to do this as the new ones cannot as of yet be cracked.

Agreed, the SNES emulator isn't up to much, or at least wasn't when I last tried it. PicoDrive is ace though. Which PC Engine emulator are you running? Will have to give that a go. I'm always up for a bit of Gunhed or Super Star Soldier, the PCE Duo isn't set up though at the moment cos of a lack of space. :(

Agreed, the SNES emulator isn't up to much, or at least wasn't when I last tried it. PicoDrive is ace though. Which PC Engine emulator are you running? Will have to give that a go. I'm always up for a bit of Gunhed or Super Star Soldier, the PCE Duo isn't set up though at the moment cos of a lack of space. :(

I'm running Hugo on mine for PC Engine, and it runs great. Always loved the PC Engine as a console (shame it never really hit off), and playing games such as Parasol Stars, New Zealand Story, and R-Type on it via emulation make you realise just how amazing it was.

Can PS1 games be played on the PSP without emulation? I'm also thinking of getting a PSP-3000, and would love to install my old favourite, FFVII.

Beg to differ on that. I run various emulators on my psp and the games look great. Old Megadrive games, Atari ST games, heck...even ZX Spectrum games looks fantastic on them (and old PS1 games are perfect on the small screen). My PC Engine emulator runs like a beauty and Parasol Stars has never looked so good :)

Bare in mind the old games ran on low resolution, it is no surpirse that they play great on a small screen.

However, seeing as to play emulators on PSPs requires the installation of custom firmware, which is seriously frowned upon by Sony, discussion of how to do it should not take place on here. All I will say is that you will need an old PSP (not the new model) if you plan to do this as the new ones cannot as of yet be cracked.

its not illegal though is it? I know there is a piracy issue but to change the firmware is ok?

I can get hold of a old PSP with official v1.5 firmware so that wouldnt need changing it just making the emulators work.

It's also worth mentioning that a few emulators are also completely legal.

Amstrad own the copyright of the Spectrum ROM and allow its use for non-profit projects.

Many games are also public domain, there is a very comprehensive list over at World Of Spectrum. I was instrumental in getting many titles released into the public domain.

its not illegal though is it? I know there is a piracy issue but to change the firmware is ok?

I can get hold of a old PSP with official v1.5 firmware so that wouldnt need changing it just making the emulators work.

As installing custom firmware violates the warranty, and Sony keep adding further security measures on each firmware update to block custom firmware, then it is clear that they are not happy about it. Whilst not illegal (although one site has gone through the t&c for the PSP and concluded that, due to the wording, it may be a brach of copyright http://www.yogarine.net/2007/02/psp-homebrew-legal-status.html ), the likelihood is that anyone putting cfw onto a PSP is intending to use it for pirated games (which is illegal), much like anyone who chips their Wii, or other console only does it to save cash on official games. Hence the SF is not the place to expect instructions on how to install custom firmware. Google is your friend for those answers.

As for legality of emulation - whilst many emulators are legal to use, the roms (the game images) are generally not. As alchresearch points out, practically all the Spectrum collection is in the public domain - mainly down to games on the old 8-bit systems being coded by one or 2 man teams, making getting permission to release them freely quite easy.

When it comes to Megadrive, arcade, Amiga, ST, etc roms, the likelihood is they are not in the public domain, so unless you own the old cartidges, boards, disks, running them on emulation is potentially illegal.

Now, in response to Hodge - on a non-custom firmware PSP, the only PS1 games that will run are those bought legally via the Playstation Store. Not a great number of games on there as of yet, and the Final Fantasy series is not there yet. As the PSP-3000 has not been cracked yet, you will not be able to port your old discs to img files to use on it.

Edited by Beakerzoid

I never knew that you could run emulators on psp, unfortunately I don't actually have one, but its useful to know.

You don't need 1.5 firmware anymore for emulators, as in one of the 3.x updates, sony's official firmware actually supports loading 'home brew' applications.. they gave up a while ago and allowed it.