Memories of "The Limit" Nightclub

i only went in the limit once or twice (i was only quite young i think, im 35 now :P)

i do remember the sticky carpet mind, and it was very dark, dark corners, and goths all over

Originally posted by melthebell

i only went in the limit once or twice (i was only quite young i think, im 35 now :P)

i do remember the sticky carpet mind, and it was very dark, dark corners, and goths all over

I too only went in once!

I'd been drinking before I went out with my mate Bev, we'd been on the Baby duck (remember that crap perry stuff??) waddled into the limit toilets and tripped over a passed out girl and fell straight into her vomit!

Memories.... like the corners of my mind.......

I remember rumours going round that the beer pipes were never cleaned in The Limit and that if you drank anything on draught you were guaranteed a bad head and guts. I've always wondered if that idea was floated by the management to get people to shell out on expensive bottled stuff. The carpet was so filthy with generations of spilt drinks it seemed to be saturated in crude oil. There used to be a big black guy who would periodically stride around chanting "Black hash, sensei, black hash" like a stoner street vendor. Fantastic place, pity it can't be recreated as an antidote to the slick glamour places that have completely taken over where you get shot for looking at somebody funny.

was the 'stoner street vendor' you refer to a fella called 'bobbo'? He must have been late fifties, early sixties, often so smashed himself his glasses would be hanging all over his face - he used to hang out in the Leadmill as well and if you bought him a bottle of pills he would share his spliff with you!! Great character - always wondered what became of him.

There is a chapter about the Limit in 'Flying With The Owls Crime Squad' which was recently released, and is actually written by me!!!!

Hi ontario owl, i take it you are dougie,s mate then. I work with him and Doug Snr occasionally when he comes back from spain.

by the way, am half way through book, it's great.

Ah i remember it well.

Sticky carpet, knee deep in yellow water in the toilets, but a crakin pint of magnet and it was cheap!

The goths used to hang out in the top corner and on a Saturday we used to go mental when New Order's bizzare love triangle came on and danced on the small stage.

A freind and i went religously twice a week and i was there on the last night.

We danced the night away and drank like demons until they ran out of draft beer and the cans were a rip off so we left about 11:30 and sold the tickets to students on West Street for the same price i paid for them!

Great memories. They've never been able to recreate that place but i dont think i would want them too. Now a thirty something i quite like my dingey dives to come with clean bogs and a fair selection of hard spirits. Good times though.

Cheers Tots. Aye I am Dougie's mate...glad you liked the book mate. I wish I could have got more stories about the Limit in than I did. Somebody should write a book just about that place.

My other half practically lived in the limit during the 80's so i have heard plenty of stories from him. Some not as gorey as the ones in the book though (the bloke with glass in his nose and head - ouch).

My first clubbing experience - the limit - I was far too young to be in there, but nobody cared, met my first boyfriend in there. Still have pass for thursday nights if anyone interested...thursday was 'goff nite' (whats a goff, I wondered). still harbour a secret yearning for clubs with sticky carpets, smell of sick in corners, don't tell anyone