Memories of "The Limit" Nightclub

Great memories of the place .

I think UB40 performed there a week or so before their 1st appearance on Top of to pops .

Used get so packed that it felt as if you were in a sauna . The condensation on the ceiling would drip down and you had to cover your drink .:)

Yes it was so hot in there, everyone came out looking like someone had thrown a bucket of water on them!

Item removed by original poster

Edited by dropout
Have realised, on reflection, that some people might NOT want their names and info posted on forum sites. Withdrawn. Apols.

Rob (Dingo).

I knew Trevor Jones way back at Primary School.

Saw him in the new wave days at the Limit club and around town.

It is all a long time ago now...but, I reckon from these postings on here and about the Marples gigs...that I MUST have known you...and grappler...whitehorses and tinkerbell 65 etc too...as I was at almost ALL the Limit, Marples, West Street, etc gigs in the late 1970s and 1980s until I lost touch with all that lot...when I went off to Polytechnic in 1982....does anyone on here know what has become of Mick Denton? Is he still around Sheff these days?

Also Tiny...Ian Squires....he was a fellow "humper" at the Top Rank...as it was then...for all the punk bands in the late 70s and 80s...where is Tiny now...?

Haven't seen him for many years?

Good days though....way back then.

I know that when I go to the Limit reunions at the Casbah, I recognise loads of faces, without knowing any names or who they are/were. I was at loads of gigs at all those venues back in the 70's and 80's, The Limit, Marples, Top Rank, Broadfield, NowSoc, and saw everyone from the Skids and the B52's at the Limit to Sham 69 back in 1978 at Sheffield Poly with The ? in support, who went on to become that classic Sheffield band, Artery. Met the Undertones in the Marples, having a pint before they played at the Top Rank, met Paul Weller at the Top Rank a few times as well.

The Mekons, Gang of Four, The Lurkers, The Barracuda's, The Angelic Upstarts, Destroy All Monsters and loads of Sheffied bands of course!

Happy Days!

Edited by Grappler
spelling

Rob (Dingo).

I knew Trevor Jones way back at Primary School.

Saw him in the new wave days at the Limit club and around town.

It is all a long time ago now...but, I reckon from these postings on here and about the Marples gigs...that I MUST have known you...and grappler...whitehorses and tinkerbell 65 etc too...as I was at almost ALL the Limit, Marples, West Street, etc gigs in the late 1970s and 1980s until I lost touch with all that lot...when I went off to Polytechnic in 1982....does anyone on here know what has become of Mick Denton? Is he still around Sheff these days?

Also Tiny...Ian Squires....he was a fellow "humper" at the Top Rank...as it was then...for all the punk bands in the late 70s and 80s...where is Tiny now...?

Haven't seen him for many years?

Good days though....way back then.

Hey Dropout,

I probably know you or know of you from this time.What days they were, where punk ruled supreme and having a good time came before everything.We certainly had some wild times. Do you want to pm me to reveal who you are or do you just want to fade back into the shadows?

Tiny was not doing too badly a couple of years ago, but I don't have any news of him that's up to date.We were very good friends but he's had a lot of problems, if you do Pm I'll talk more there, but not fair to discuss people on here.

As you say, it all WAS a long time ago, it seems like a dream, but I think we made a lot of things possible for bands and people that came after us, don't you think?

Tiny was not doing too badly a couple of years ago, but I don't have any news of him that's up to date.We were very good friends but he's had a lot of problems, if you do Pm I'll talk more there, but not fair to discuss people on here.

I'd love to meet Tiny (Ian) again, I've not seen him for 15 or 20 years. Back in the early 80's we went all over Britain following the Stranglers, I've still got some photos, great times.

Just found link after a morning googling "Mick & Laura, publicans, Sheffield" So sorry to hear that Laura had passed away - what a wonderful woman she was. I knew Mick & Laura when they ran the Ship & Blue Ball in Shoreditch around 1990, and once went up to stay with them in their pub in Sheffield. Purely by chance, I met a couple last night who also knew them & we got chatting about old times. Would love to know how Mick is, and their son Jim who I believe went into graphic design.

Well I was from the Mojo Club and Esquire generation, but my sister is 12 years younger than me and dragged me down to The Limit on a couple of occaisions, I enjoyed it, a bit like The Esqire but slightly rougher.

[quote=Originally posted by Spacehopper

Nah Den Ace........

Originally posted on Sheffield in the 80s............

I started going to the Limit regular from about '87. The music was an eclectic mix of punk/indie/goth/house. I used to drink lager snakebites in plastic glasses - a totally unique taste - it got you where you wanted to go though! I had a flat-top at the time.......anybody else remember the "Psychobilly" craze? I remember coming home with bruises all over my body from slam-dancing/wrecking.

Going to the toilet was a journey and an aif! First, you had to walk past the OCS (Wednesday boys), who used to congregate just outside the toilets. (To be fair, they never bothered any of us. I only ever saw them battling when United or the skinheads came down!) There was always a dodgy black geezer selling drugs as you went in! The toilets were basically unisex - there would be couples copulating in the cubicles and there was a mirror in the lasses, so all the goths would go in there to do their hair!

I also remember sticking to the carpet, dry ice, the "Goth Box", anti-gravity hair and psychopathic bouncers - I too remember being thrown out the back door, a maze which led onto Trippet Lane!

The Hallamshire on West Street was my regular haunt and I also went to Take Two on Staniforth Road, "The Club With Two Brains" at Occasions, "Club With No Name" at The Palais, 50s night at The Dog and Partridge (on 'cliffe) and The Leadmill.

Great days! They broke my heart when they closed the Limit. I went on the closing night. When was that.......89/90/91? I remember a bloke called John filmed it - has anybody seen it?

Regards,

Spacehopper.

Haha that was all me too!!!

Remember seeing Robert Cray and later David Lindley with an audience of about 30 midweek.

Just re-read this whole thread again, brought back great memories, I would imagine that most of us who posted on here would vaguely recongise each other if we were all in the same room.

Dingo - still not run into you town or somewhere!

Daisy - keep meaning to let you know when I am n San Francisco, forgot last time (March) but might be out there at the end of this month if you fancy a beer.

I absolutely loved the Limit! used to go in the late 80s and 90s. danced on the stage with the goths. Remember when Peter and theTest tube babies came. Walked down to rebels with them only to find it was shut! Wish I had kept in touch with everyone there x:hihi: