Memories of "The Limit" Nightclub

Ah the Limit. A fantastic place.

We used to do pre-pub crwal up West street (The Hallamshire in particular, singing Smiths songs and the rest at the jukebox), before going in to The Limit.

Some great choons :- Aztec camera, The The, Killing Joke, Joy Division, Pogues (moshing gone mad), Smiths, Lloyd Cole, The Jam, Punk, Iggy Pop, and loads more. Almost non-stop on the dance floor. Plastic glasses ? So what ? The worst thing was people nicking your pint if you left it anywhere. Does that still happen in clubs ? I also went on the last night but felt dissapointed as I think it had lost a lot of it's charisma by then and it was looking rundown. Tickets were over priced for a last night and the music was trying to please too many people. it lost it's identity in the end so probably a good thing it closed when it did. It was the dawn of 'The Leadmill !!!' The new indie club kings !

Does anyone also remember going to George IV across from Kelvin Flats for the 'Bizzare' club ? Live indie bands featured upstairs of what was normally a C&W pub ?

Also Bands at The Red Lion in Heeley or 'Stars on Sunday' night which featured bands on at the Crucible ?

The club opposite the Kelvin Flats was called 'The Blitz' club. I met my wife there 30 years ago whilst we watched the Comsat angels. I was interviewed for the Blitz Bitch fanzine too.

Whenever I think back to my many nights in The Limit I always think of the opening keyboards to Lucifer's Friend by Vision.

Now I'm allowed to post links, here it is.

Edited by milquetoast1

Originally Posted by Trouncer

Does anyone also remember going to George IV across from Kelvin Flats for the 'Bizzare' club ? Live indie bands featured upstairs of what was normally a C&W pub ?[/Quote]

a few of my early punk / metal gigs i saw were at the george IV

23rd July 87

smart pils, decadence within, GGF

4th october 87

GGF, Decadence within, Moral Justice

18th october 87

Bad blood, Death warmed up, Moral justice

7th December 87

GGF, Bad blood, Love from alice, Slug

16th December 87

Bad blood, Intense degree, GGF, Burning circle

20th December 87

Moral justice, Bastion

17th feb 88

Dog soldier, GGF, NV boys (dutch)

28th feb 1988

Bad blood, Throbgut, Midnight choir, GGF

9th october 88

Bastion

then it looks like along with the hallamshire hotel, most of my gigs are taken with the take 2 club

Tank was A Tank got to know him quite well through "The Limit" Heart of Gold .. (from Woodhouse I think !!)

I have a picture of Tank and his girlfriend, taken in the Limit.

The reunion was AWESOME! check out the set list on another thread on here.

Tank was A Tank got to know him quite well through "The Limit" Heart of Gold .. (from Woodhouse I think !!)

That's right Dingo, Big Russ was from Woodhouse

Item removed by original poster

Edited by dropout
Have realised, on reflection, that some people might NOT want their names and info posted on forum sites. Withdrawn, apols.

does any one remember the limt?

did anybody go to the limt but can't remember!!!

i use to go to the limit all the time from 85 till it finished, i use to stand nxt to the toilets wi all the wednesday boys. i can remember havin to carry my can o redstripe wiv my hand coverin it cus if u didnt you ended up gettin spiked wi a trip:). we ad sum top n8s there tho

ACID :love:

i use to go to the limit all the time from 85 till it finished, i use to stand nxt to the toilets wi all the wednesday boys. i can remember havin to carry my can o redstripe wiv my hand coverin it cus if u didnt you ended up gettin spiked wi a trip:). we ad sum top n8s there tho

I started going to The Limit, as a 13 year old, 1980 onwards(and they thought Mandy Rice was the original wild child), with my friend Sharon & her older brother Jimmy & his mates. The sicky/sticky floor epic & the "stage" was always full of beer! I remember the B52's/Heaven 17/ABC (yawn)/Carberet Volitaire/Gang of Four "I love a man in a uniform"/Joy Division/New Order/John Foxx/Vision/Japan etc....Guys dressed as Gals "Trevor the Transvesite" once borrowed my pillowbox red lippy! Fishnets, aubergine/black geometric hairdo's, Rebina shoes & the shop which was pulled down for Orchard Square redevelopment, whose name escapes me which sold 2nd hand clothes.....We used to drink Red Witches...we used to go to the Complete Angler now the Boardwalk/Marples/Stonehouse before The Limit.Then my Grandad (God Bless ya Bert) used to pick us all up at closing time in his van.

There's never been or ever will be anything like it... Health & Safety wouldn't allow it!!!

Hi to Dingo (Rob)...it's Nickie xxxxx;)

Growing old is mandatory...Growing up is optional.

Edited by mycatmerlin
remembered something

Hi Nickie Hows You ? I Remember Trevor (Houcher)top bloke was named best looking bloke in the UK in the"Sun" :)

I started going to The Limit, as a 13 year old, 1980 onwards(and they thought Mandy Rice was the original wild child), with my friend Sharon & her older brother Jimmy & his mates. The sicky/sticky floor epic & the "stage" was always full of beer! I remember the B52's/Heaven 17/ABC (yawn)/Carberet Volitaire/Gang of Four "I love a man in a uniform"/Joy Division/New Order/John Foxx/Vision/Japan etc....Guys dressed as Gals "Trevor the Transvesite" once borrowed my pillowbox red lippy! Fishnets, aubergine/black geometric hairdo's, Rebina shoes & the shop which was pulled down for Orchard Square redevelopment, whose name escapes me which sold 2nd hand clothes.....We used to drink Red Witches...we used to go to the Complete Angler now the Boardwalk/Marples/Stonehouse before The Limit.Then my Grandad (God Bless ya Bert) used to pick us all up at closing time in his van.

There's never been or ever will be anything like it... Health & Safety wouldn't allow it!!!

Hi to Dingo (Rob)...it's Nickie xxxxx;)

Growing old is mandatory...Growing up is optional.

was once in on a friday night and a girl i knew who fancied me w**ked me off under the table! mel you where a babe!!

Hiya Rob...didn't know that Trevor had been in the Sun! I just remember him running upto me on Fargate, complete with handbag swinging, grabbing hold of me BIG mmmwahh & my poor Grandad nearly whalloping him...lol

It's driving me mental the shop that used to be opposite the Fountain Bar that sold really great vintage clothes.

I'm not doing too bad thanks...I was diagnosed with C.R.P.S. (type 1)(also known as Sudeck's atrophy) just before Xmas and have loads of tests, the MRI was horrid, waiting for a Metabollic Bone Scan now, but the tablets are kicking in :-). Hows you and Jordan?? Kristien's settled (thank God) has a girlfriend, of 18 months & working!!!!