Memories of "The Limit" Nightclub

Went in a few times in the late seventies but preferred Crazy Daizy and Top Rank.

me too i loved the daisy always remember bryan ferry being played all the time

remember the new limit which briefly opened in 2005

Was a toilet bit like the then owner Adrien Channa

I first started going in the limit when I was 15 in 1985 and went 3 times a week for about 4 years and loved it.

I saw the Human League play live at the Limit club on west street.

The Limit Club played some great music, dance floor was small, the stage was tiny, the carpet was always sticky,

toilets shared by male and female, the bouncers/staff were brilliant any problems they were straight in .

Stayed there to the early hours then walked home missed the bus again.

A group of Sheffield Numan fans met there in the 80's.

Went in a few times a week..

Bring back the limit, great days.

office

Edited by office

Saw many bands there, the best being B52's and The Specials. having to stand on upended placcie glasses to get a good view, the small wine bar (still have a couple of their wine glasses at home), that did food !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Practically lived there from late '79 until 85, met first hubbie there, but don't hold that against the place, it was still the best ever.

Nothing could have replaced it, so when they reopened it a few years ago you know it wouldn't be the same.

happy days

Oh this thread is marvelous. Just spent the best part of a rainy afternoom remeniscing about sticky floors, health hazzard bogs and trying to guess what they laced that lager with....Got me and a friend discussing this again and she's convinced it was the hairspray fumes from "all you bloody ozone killing gothics!"

Used to go to the Limit in the mid '80's and was slightly underage my first few times, but loved the atmosphere, found out who the hell I was in that place and still remember the red marks round my neck from a lad I was with "strangle dancing" me whenever they played the Banshees 'Christine'!

Happy Days

I thought you might be interested in the mother of all Limit club reunions that's set to celebrate the launch of my new book on The Limit ('Take It To Limit) that hit the likes of Waterstones/HMV/WHSmiths/The Star this week and is selling like mad... It sees Limit DJ Paul Unwin returning to the decks and he's all ears if you want to suggest your fave tracks. More info below - spread the word! Neil

Press release

13 year legacy set to be The Limit for Sheffield nightlife

Trying to cram the history of one of Sheffield’s most influential club and live music venues into just one night is no mean feat.

There’s probably only one man capable of doing justice to the legacy of West Street’s legendary Limit venue – the DJ that provided the sounds for 11 years from the night it opened in March 1978.

Paul Unwin has been persuaded to return to the decks for a one-off night to celebrate the launch of Neil Anderson’s ‘Take It To The Limit’ – the newly published book that chronicles the life of the venue.

Paul Unwin said: “The Limit was open 13 years and meant so many different things to different people. What opened as the city’s first true punk venue closed as Sheffield’s first home of rave and acid house.

“Most people remember it as a true one-off. It was probably the only venue you could find where every youth culture would happily party side-by-side without tearing lumps out of each other.

“Penning the life story of The Limit is no mean feat and Neil Anderson has done an amazing job and I’m looking forward to re-creating the club’s vibe for one last time.”

If anyone has a particular track they’re keen to hear at the reunion night they should email Paul on: reunion@takeittothelimit.info

Here are a few of DJ Paul Unwin Limit favourites from down the years to stir up a few memories:

Iggy Pop – The Passenger; B-52s – Planet Claire; Ultravox - The Man Who Dies Everyday ( Live Version ); Japan - Quiet Life; The Long Ryders - Looking For Lewis & Clark; Cabaret Voltaire - Sensoria; David Bowie - Queen Bitch; The Clash - Train In Vain; The Waterboys - The Whole Of The Moon; Simple Minds - Someone Somewhere In Summertime; Bauhaus - Bela Lugosi’s Dead; Sisters of Mercy – Floorshow; Killing Joke – Requiem.

The massive Limit reunion is set to take place at Wellington Street’s Casbah (the former Wapentake Bar where the majority of Limit staff came from way back in 1978) on Saturday, November 28, from 9pm until very late and its set to play host to a few famous faces.

Tickets are £15 – admission also includes a complimentary copy of ‘Take It To The Limit’.

They can be purchased from Sheffield ticket outlets including Plug/The Casbah/The Washington/Bath Hotel or over the phone on 0114 241 3040.

Just as I frequently did back then, it looks like I 'missed the bus' as far as the reunion goes too. Bugger!

Anyone go?

I can relate to so many of the previous posts. I went in the Crazy daisy on Saturday lunch times, and was blinded by the sunshine on many occasions as I emerged from the prevailing darkness. The Limit club was like my second home for years. I saw loads of bands there and busted my best moves on the beer soaked dancefloor. Kraftwerk - Model, Ultravox - Slow Motion, Skids - Into the Valley and of course Roxy Music - Dance Away. Like a lot of you, I now show a distinct 'fade to grey'.

I remember well some of the names that have appeared in previous posts. One of my early girlfriends was called Melanie. She had a pink fringe and she appears to have been two timing me at the time with a big bloke called Tank. Jilted John would have something to say about that.............

When the Mod revival began, I started going to a club on Langsett Road called 'The Blitz'. I met my now wife there whilst we were watching the 'Comsat Angels'. I was also interviewed by someone there to go into the clubs fanzine under the Blitz Bitch column.

I'd love to hear how the reunion went.

Edited by Voxx
spelling mistake

He was a great laugh, we used to meet up on a Saturday afternoon, all dressed in our Fred Perry shirts and Slazenger jumpers and Tank would go in the sex shop on Division street and pick things up and say "what's this for mister.....what about this one mister, what do you do with this?" until we got chucked out! If I can work out how to get pictures on here I will put one up of Tank and his girlfriend in the Limit, was she called Melanie?

I went out with Melanie (pink fringe) around the same time briefly. I always did think she was also seeing the big lad called Tank. Not that I was going to be taking the matter up with him. Those that remember him will understand why......... How are you Mel.

Hallamshire -> Limit -> Last bus home ... repeat twice a week for the best part of my youth.

On the odd occasion we missed the last bus it was a long walk home, but a pizza at the New Yorker.

I recall turning up in a Dracula fancy dress outfit after a party one night, and it was the the night I actually felt the least conspicuous!!!

When U2 played the Limit the audience was somewhat on the small side. You could count the number of people there.

I recall Bono making reference to this when they played The City Hall a few year later. "Who saw us at the Limit" he shouted, and about 800 muppets put their hands up.

I've lost count of the number of people that claimed to be there, about ten times the number that were.

Gutted to have missed the reunion.

I went out with Melanie (pink fringe) around the same time briefly. I always did think she was also seeing the big lad called Tank. Not that I was going to be taking the matter up with him. Those that remember him will understand why......... How are you Mel.

I have a picture of Tank and his girlfriend, taken in the Limit.

The reunion was AWESOME! check out the set list on another thread on here.