Memories of "The Limit" Nightclub

I went there from 1978ish to 1986. Went overseas then.

What a great place to have spent the 80's. Spent most of my time at the bar at the small bar drinking the German beer that was on tap (Holsten). The girl that worked behind the bar was Judy I think.

Wednesday night Students and Nurse I had the same free pass for may a year.

Happy times from what I can remember.

In those days you had to wear a tie to get in the other clubs in the town. The limit was a free for all

There was one guy in the early 80'S used to carry a teddy and wear a Kilt. He was always with a group of women.

My kids are now playing all the 80's stuff now but I was there.

I need memories of Punk groups playing at the limit club for my Book I am writing..also anything else of interest from those days...email me at [email protected]

Not punk groups, but I remember seeing:-

The Men They Couldn't Hang: When the audience featured a middle aged couple who had obviously never encountered slam dancing/moshing before.

The Guana Batz: When there were two guys sat on the front of the stage who thumped anybody who came within reach of the stage. The bouncers didn't do anything and we assumed they were The Batz security. Weird:mad:

Terry & Gerry: Several times, but the one that sticks in my memory was when phoned his mum on his mobile and the audience sang happy birthday to her. I wonder if she really was on the other end of the line.

There was a talent contest, can't remember who won, but the prizes were given out by a pre-muscles :gag:Donna Hartley:gag:

I saw Tom Robinson and Sector 27. First gay men who I ever (knowingly - I had a sheltered upbringing) spoke with.

Stop Press (lol) - they looked and spoke like normal men!

Changed my outlook - honestly...

Ps - waving my arms and singing ' Sing (or whatever it is) if you're glad to be gay' - very formative experience!

the plastic glasses were'nt the problem it was wading through the lager that used to get me brilliant place not like the pubs and clubs now.

the plastic glasses were'nt the problem it was wading through the lager that used to get me brilliant place not like the pubs and clubs now.

I don't think there was as much lager to wade through as you might think. Don't you remember the toilets overflowed at least once a night.

I went to the Limit a few times [ to say the least ] , had great times cant remember much about it back then , apart from fallin asleep next to speaker drunk . GOOD TIMES

I went to The Limit afew times. I always enjoyed it. One time I was tapped on the shoulder by a massive mean looking kid with an enormous mohican, I thought oh eck, I hope I've not spilled his pint. It turned out he was a little lad I'd been friendly at school with, he'd grown. :)

maybe it was'nt the larger then steptoad but toilet residue but them was the days had real fun though

No, the Limit was at it's very best around 81-83.I saw lots of bands there before they became known.I made loads of friends, as a girl, in those days I could wander up and down West Street until it was time to go in the Limit and gather friends along the way. They were truly special times, I know every generation thinks that about their youth, but we were rule breakers, driving people to distraction.We were Thatchers let down children, and we rebelled, it's so hard to explain if you weren't there.Staying out all night was the norm for me.After the Limit closed in the early hours, it was chips, and then on to someone's bedsit or flat for more illlicit booze, maybe sex, maybe a smoke, and just absolute punkiness.I think we were bound together by discontent at the world.I love all the people I knew then, and I'll never forget those iconic days we lived through. Hello Dean S, Sheldon!, Trigger, Delroy, Dave Oxley, Big TANK, little Tank, big Tiny, little Tiny(Hugs and kisses)Trish, Dawn, Pat, Sue, RIP dean, and RIP Laura, RIP Ian Williams, Hello to Gordon at Bl;air Atholl, and your brother and Liz, Coogie, Les and the gang from Hillsborough and Anita.Toz, Mandy , Dawn etc I love you all. xxx

what a place, i was 16 the first time i went at night,got turned away by the blokes wearing the chipmunk t shirts, so just legged it inside before they could nab me straight onto dancefloor top off and party all night on a parra. i used to go to the breakdancing challenges on a saturday during the day when iwas 14 things like smack 19 dancing.

maybe it was'nt the larger then steptoad but toilet residue but them was the days had real fun though

Yup, them was certainly the good ol' days.

what a place, i was 16 the first time i went at night,got turned away by the blokes wearing the chipmunk t shirts,

Too right we didn't want all you oap f****rs cluttering up the place.