Memories of "The Limit" Nightclub

hi

i heard the dog and partridge shut down years ago ? all my mates used to go there for the 50`s night , previously we used to go to the 50`s night at the broughton inn on the cliffe .

is there any 50`s nights anywhere else in sheffield now ?

linda

Originally posted by Spacehopper

8) Nah Den Ace........

Originally posted on Sheffield in the 80s............

I started going to the Limit regular from about '87. The music was an eclectic mix of punk/indie/goth/house. I used to drink lager snakebites in plastic glasses - a totally unique taste - it got you where you wanted to go though! I had a flat-top at the time.......anybody else remember the "Psychobilly" craze? I remember coming home with bruises all over my body from slam-dancing/wrecking.

Going to the toilet was a journey and an aif! First, you had to walk past the OCS (Wednesday boys), who used to congregate just outside the toilets. (To be fair, they never bothered any of us. I only ever saw them battling when United or the skinheads came down!) There was always a dodgy black geezer selling drugs as you went in! The toilets were basically unisex - there would be couples copulating in the cubicles and there was a mirror in the lasses, so all the goths would go in there to do their hair!

I also remember sticking to the carpet, dry ice, the "Goth Box", anti-gravity hair and psychopathic bouncers - I too remember being thrown out the back door, a maze which led onto Trippet Lane!

The Hallamshire on West Street was my regular haunt and I also went to Take Two on Staniforth Road, "The Club With Two Brains" at Occasions, "Club With No Name" at The Palais, 50s night at The Dog and Partridge (on 'cliffe) and The Leadmill.

Great days! They broke my heart when they closed the Limit. I went on the closing night. When was that.......89/90/91? I remember a bloke called John filmed it - has anybody seen it?

Regards,

Spacehopper.

ya never too old to rock n roll ......

would anyone like to share some of their memories from the limit + has anyone got any unwanted photos?

The Limit had the stickiest carpet in the world, if I remember rightly!

Hello People, does anybody have pictures of the old peace gardens circa late 80's early 90's or the outside of the Limit club just before it closed? If so I'd be very grateful if they could provide me with scanned copies.

Cheers,

Dom

I went on one of the last nights to the limit, think it was late December 1990.

A couple of resident Sheffield DJ's Astrix & Space were playing.

Yep it's all true about the place , plastic glasses,flashing lights and loud,loud music of course. One girl in our vast circle of friends thought it was way beneath her, what a relief that was when the rest of us realised we were normal after all.

You should talk to Xtro

- he talks about it in his quote

(or whatever you call the bit which the intelligent ones put at the bottom of their postings.... one day I may find the time :) )

Me - I grew up in Nottingham, so don't know anything about The Limit i'm afraid.

saw some good bands there saw this really good scouse band called spider he said tounge in cheek sheffield ur the worst audience in the world lol saw the mamas boys there and the endid 2 it was weird all the crowd sat on the floor cross legged very bizzare lol:thumbsup:

Fantastic days!The Limit,Take 2 Club and Rebels!

End of an era, and all closed down within a few years of each other.Used to be a bit of a pyschobilly during the late 80's and always ridden Lambretta scooters.My last one was a dayglo orange furry one(1960 vintage). Nowadays,in my mid 30's; I tend to be a regular in the Classic Rock Bar. This place is an absolute god-send for alternative people like us!

If you want to see a pic of me,check out tonites Star paper (page 29 at the bottom) I am the ginger on the right hand side.

I'll always remember it as the place we went when they wouldn't let us in anywhere else. I remember the floor at the opposite end of the room to the stage always seemed to be swimming in spilt beer.

Originally posted by Sam Miguel

I'll always remember it as the place we went when they wouldn't let us in anywhere else. I remember the floor at the opposite end of the room to the stage always seemed to be swimming in spilt beer.

i agree. always remember it as a real dive and very dark inside with a horrible sticky carpet (probably sick or blood or both). much preferred the Crazy Daisy.