Memories of "The Limit" Nightclub

I remember the 'Hip Hop' afternoons held on Saturdays during the eighties! Wicked!!

The LIMIT what a place. I saw many a band especially "The Beat" " Selector Secret AFFAIR " "The Skids" "Gang of Four". Great place it was heaven and Hell on earth. The boucers where alright sometimes!!!!!!!

went to the limit late 70's early 80's and saw some fab bands there Simple Minds,Specials and B52's. Danced to punk, Goth, mod and electro infact owt that they played.Does anyone remember dancing on the stage and always coming of with your nuckles bleeding as the roof was that low you always ended up punching it in the excitement. The tables infront of the stage were always a good sliding point for some people to get off the stage.People falling asleep in the speakers. and always getting chips when you came out at the chippy next door. Some of the more individual people also used to go to the Sin Bin at turnups. Lots of happy memories.

You are " SPOT ON " !!!! The Specials at the limit was awesome much better than when they palyed the rank in the " two tone" concert. Happy days.

Do not forget walking on plastic glasses and getting your drinks from the small bar at the end near the entrance instead of queing up at the long bar.

And everyone ended up on the stage with them (Specials) yes the plastic glasses, the sodden carpet,the trying to get back up the stairs when your drunk, the chips and then running to get the last bus home. happy days

And everyone ended up on the stage with them (Specials) yes the plastic glasses, the sodden carpet,the trying to get back up the stairs when your drunk, the chips and then running to get the last bus home. happy days

Thats the one!!! If you made the last bus it was a real success otherwise it was the long walk with the memories still vibrating in your head. You promised yourself the following morning never to do it again or until your financial position allowed.

what about when you went up West street first. in the Saddle(full of rockers), the West street hotel(Full of mods, students and with the table footy in), the Hallamshire(Full of goths and punks) and the the Mailcoach. what about all the crap on the bottom of your trousers from the loppy floor in the limit and if you ever fell over that was it you came out black .Yes if you did miss the last bus it was a long walk home, twice as long if you were a bit wobbly.

I don't want to sound like an old fogey but when I think back to the Limit I realise that todays nightclubs have lost something. They seem to be either sterile, corporate, soulless places where even the most alternative patrons look like fashion victims or scarey places where you have to dodge bullets.

I realise that everybody is supposed to think things were better in 'their day' but I've never been under the illusion that I grew up in a golden age.

I think the old Earl was the closest modern equivalent to places like The Limit and Club With Two Brains in spirit if not in music.

Yeah..you never saw fashion victims in the Limit:hihi:

I know...I was one of them.....at least I didnt have a Bono mullet

I remember seeing The Alex Harvey Band there. Came onto stage over an hour late (p***ed as usual), carrying a can of 'Kestrel' Lager in one hand and a pair of Ladies 60-denier tan-coloured tights in the other. He then pulled one of the legs of the tights over his head and drank the lager through them.

Priceless. And 'Sensational' !!!

remember it well Dire straits played there once when unknown,but my fave band was one called The Deaf Aids who should have been big. shame they disappeared or did they re-incarnate as something else does anyone know ?

I had many happy times in the Limit in the late 70s. Was there for the opening night and if I remember correctly, I think the band that was on was Bitter Suite.

remember it well Dire straits played there once when unknown,but my fave band was one called The Deaf Aids who should have been big. shame they disappeared or did they re-incarnate as something else does anyone know ?
Yes the Deaf aids were a Sheffield band, i used to know two of them. They once supported the Human League at the lyceum and changed their name to Bambakino. When they were the Deaf Aids they used to sell their badges up West Street. I don't think they exist any more, The band i mean not the members.