Memories of "The Limit" Nightclub

On 14/07/2019 at 12:45, Grappler said:

Your name came up in conversation yesterday mate!

I saw Molodoy in 1978, the singer was dressed like "Alex" in the film "A Clockwork Orange", and if memory serves they were originally called "Reactor" and were from Low Edges?

The Push were "Charles Paris and The Push" and the singer was in "Coronation Street" for a few episodes (real name was Ray something or other), 

Talking of "Charles", The Deaf Aids were "Charles Hawtry and the Deaf Aids" , and one of the lads had the one-side-long-and-one-side-short haircut, like Phil Oakey, he also had half a moustache!

Good old days................

Molody were indeed  from Lowedges. Singer Steve Warburton “warby”, drummer Paul Manfridi (became a policeman I think), Paul Nicholson worked for Yorkshire water  “Nicky”on  bass and Ian Lindsey “Linz” guitar.  They are gigging again in 2019, who would have thought that.

Deaf Aids were Terry Gambles on vocals, Craig Waite on bass the others I can’t remember, we went to The Marquee in London to see them along with about 10 others. Great night. Saw them loads in and around Sheffield as one of my friends was with Craig. 

The Push were "Charles Paris and The Push" and the singer was in "Coronation Street" for a few episodes (real name was Ray something or other), 

Ashcroft...

Edited by RiffRaff

Hi RiffRaff & Shazza,

Great to get the feedback, many thanks.

More about Ray Ashcroft aka Charlie Paris and The Push here in my latest podcast episode - 

http://smarturl.it/MyLifeInTheMosh

All the best from Dublin.

Dodger

On 17/07/2019 at 14:27, shazzamattazza said:

Molody were indeed  from Lowedges. Singer Steve Warburton “warby”, drummer Paul Manfridi (became a policeman I think), Paul Nicholson worked for Yorkshire water  “Nicky”on  bass and Ian Lindsey “Linz” guitar.  They are gigging again in 2019, who would have thought that.

Deaf Aids were Terry Gambles on vocals, Craig Waite on bass the others I can’t remember, we went to The Marquee in London to see them along with about 10 others. Great night. Saw them loads in and around Sheffield as one of my friends was with Craig. 

Did Craig live up Foxhill way, or something like that?, seem to remember seeing him on buses going out to gigs.

Molodoy gigging again?, I will have to try and see them. 

Tramlines should do that next year, see if they can get a load of the old Sheffield bands back together and have an afternoon of live music from that era. 

On 17/07/2019 at 22:26, RiffRaff said:

Ashcroft...

Cheers pal!

Funnily enough, I was watching Peter Hook and the Light, yesterday, at Tramlines, and the three couples stood in front of us, I recognized the three blokes as Limit goers from the early to mid 80's. 

1 hour ago, Grappler said:

Tramlines should do that next year, see if they can get a load of the old Sheffield bands back together and have an afternoon of live music from that era. 

They have this year (sort of), a punk gig at the Mulberry featured Pax bands Mau Maus, Septic psychos and Xtract

13 minutes ago, melthebell said:

They have this year (sort of), a punk gig at the Mulberry featured Pax bands Mau Maus, Septic psychos and Xtract

Hi Mel

I don't suppose PAX supremo, Marcus Fetherby showed up? 

1 minute ago, Grappler said:

Hi Mel

no idea, i couldnt go :(

i SHALL see the Mau Maus one day

On 22/07/2019 at 14:41, Grappler said:

Hi Mel

I heard that Marcus had died a few years back. But that could have been just another one of his “stories” going around. He may just have changed names........again !!!!

On 22/07/2019 at 12:29, Grappler said:

Did Craig live up Foxhill way, or something like that?, seem to remember seeing him on buses going out to gigs.

Molodoy gigging again?, I will have to try and see them. 

Cheers pal!

Funnily enough, I was watching Peter Hook and the Light, yesterday, at Tramlines, and the three couples stood in front of us, I recognized the three blokes as Limit goers from the early to mid 80's. 

Craig  lived at Woodseats. His father owned the fishing shop on Chesterfield Road and they lived in the flat above, this would be 1979-1982ish. Lost track of him once he and my friend parted ways.

i think Molody played The Mulberry a couple of months back

Edited by shazzamattazza
Memory jogged

On 23/07/2019 at 15:06, shazzamattazza said:

I heard that Marcus had died a few years back. But that could have been just another one of his “stories” going around. He may just have changed names........again !!!!

Craig  lived at Woodseats. His father owned the fishing shop on Chesterfield Road and they lived in the flat above, this would be 1979-1982ish. Lost track of him once he and my friend parted ways.

i think Molody played The Mulberry a couple of months back

That could be true, I guess it is a case of how long is a "couple" of years?

He was down south, working at a well known place, under another name, last I heard.  I will see if i can find out more. 

The Push were "Charles Paris and The Push" and the singer was in "Coronation Street" for a few episodes (real name was Ray something or other)....

As an extra note, the bassist in the Push - Jeremy (Jez) Meek - is Paul Carrack's sidesman. If you chance to look at Jez's website, he's been a bass player for some outstanding artists over the years....

Hello folks,

Back to The Limit for this next podcast episode.

One of those nights when you ended up going to The Limit because you wanted a late drink and you were too scruffy to get a pint anywhere else. Also includes doing 'Cabaret' at The University Drama studio.

Link to listen - http://smarturl.it/MyLifeInTheMosh

Thanks!

Dodger

Hi there Sheffield folk,

New podcast episode is live.

Back to The Limit for the first band I paid to see twice, it's The Smirks (again!) at The Limit in November 1978.

Link here to listen - http://smarturl.it/MyLifeInTheMosh

All the best

Dodger